Another Roy Buchanan Tele question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Heathfinn, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm currently working on building a Tele that is highly inspired by Roy's. I've read where his neck radius was probably around a 9.5, but I also know this was years later and probably also after some refrets. I am looking to use his guitar as it was in the early 70's as my inspiration. Looking at this screen shot from his 1972 PBS documentary, am I crazy for thinking that this look like a 7.25 radius? Anyone have any idea the neck profile he had?

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here's a thread that addresses it to some extent. I'm sure that one of our other members will jump in with more info. My general understanding is that for those early Teles there was quite a bit of variation guitar to guitar so hard to tell. I also know that a neck will flatten out a bit over time on pro played instruments after a few re-frets. Many that start out as 7.25" end up closer to 9.25".

Just my 2 cents. Use the neck radius that's most comfortable to you. It won't effect the vintage vibe you're looking for.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/specs-for-a-1953-telecaster-neck.258140/

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I understand the idea of making a tribute guitar "cosmetically" like the original, but I would still make it comfortable and "playable" for my preferences. In other words, make it LOOK like Roy's Telecaster, but use a neck profile and radius that fits YOUR ideals. ;)

4. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

I agree, and I am most likely going with a 7.25 radius, it's more just curiosity in that everything I've read said he had a flatter neck, but in the doc it looks much rounder.

rangercaster likes this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the radius in that photo in the OP is 7.25

that's always a good idea unless you happen to be the guitarist who's guitar you're trying to reproduce..

r

6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm still waiting to see if RK will EVER post something I need to disagree with.
    Not today. . .

Peace - Deeve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.