Another pickup soldering thread

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Kneel Young, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Kneel Young

Kneel Young TDPRI Member

1DC1E0F3-60C6-441A-8AE2-AF72682D14CB.jpeg Hi everyone! New to guitars and know nothing about electronics, so why not build an electric guitar? I have cavities copper-foil-taped and soldered. Some of that tape makes it over the lip of the cavities to where my foil taped pickguard and bridge will contact it. I have an Emerson 4-way switch and Bill Lawrence micro coils. My question is: there are three wires coming out of each pickup, white and black with blue between them, which tabs do they go to? I have a pic with the tabs numbered. I wrote some of the #s on pots, but only because of open white space. Should anything need to be soldered to a pot, just refer to it as volume or tone. (The #s aren’t real close to the circles/tabs, but 1-5 across top and 6-10 below). I realize how easy this should be with the jack already wired, but I am clueless. Also, no cover on neck pu. So, if you would, just say “blue to #3” etc. Also, if I need any other wiring, please give quick explanation.

Great site! Great resource! Thanks for your help! Decided to start playing ‘cause my daughter plays. Started looking at guitars, saw a Tele and thought, “wow, those are ugly, guess I’ll build a Jazzmaster and then a Les Paul,” yet here I am. I guess they’ve grown on me.

guitarmoron likes this.
  2. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

The blue wires look like they are going to be the wires to ground the metal cover and base plate from the pickups, and those will just solder to the back side of the volume pot.
    Your white will typically be your hot wire and black will be your common/original ground wire

garrett likes this.
  3. Kneel Young

Kneel Young TDPRI Member

Thanks Binx! That makes sense as the blue wire is soldered directly to the base plate on the bridge pickup. If white is hot, they go to 1 and 2.

Edit: Upon further inspection of my own equipment, the neck pu IS covered in plastic. No place for a metal cover to attach anyway. Ok, so only need confirmation to where the blue wire on neck pickup goes and I'm off to the races. If it is a ground I will also solder to volume pot. Why would it have two ground wires?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

The blue wire on Bill 'n' Becky pickups is shield, so always goes to ground.

On your diagram, the neck pickup would be:

"Hot" = White
    "Original Ground" = Black
    "New Ground from Cover" = Blue

For the bridge pickup, you can twist blue and black together and solder to the back of the volume pot.

Binx likes this.
  5. Kneel Young

Kneel Young TDPRI Member

Thank you too Garrett!

garrett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.