Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

another nashville deluxe wiring question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by gee., Apr 30, 2013.

1. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    hi! i have a 2006 nashville deluxe ash tele. i searched for a diagram, but couldn't find it. i want to wire up the stock 5way to get the neck/bridge in position 3. i'd rather not use a push/pull....
    i'd like to have the switch left to right go:

1 bridge
    2 bridge/middle
    3 bridge/neck
    4 neck/middle
    5 neck

pretty sure i've seen this mentioned, i just can't remember what site i saw it on. thanks guys!

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Can't be done w/ the standard switch.

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    Sparks, NV
    Stew Mac sells a Megaswitch that does that combo. Only drawback is that it only takes a Strat switch knob.

5. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    Darn, we'll lucky for me I just happen to have a push/pull. How should I do that?

6. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    I'd eventually like to get a 3way and use the push pull to add the middle so I could do tele standard and pull up on the tone for strat tones. Is that do-able? Thanks again guys.

7. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    3 pickup tele wiring with push on middle pickup

Crudely adapted from Phostenix's diagram for middle pickup blend:

The switch basically just adds the middle pickup to the volume pot, or disconnects the middle pickup when the pot is pushed down.

It is hard to see /my photoshop work sucks, but that yellow lead is going straight from the middle pickup to the push/pull switch, center terminal.

strat-tele-wiring-push-middle-on.jpg

8. sjtalon

That would actually be the easy route.

On mine, I installed a p/p tone pot, and it is bridge on. Leaves the switch the same, and other than the tone pot wiring, it was two wires to add.

7 way !

9. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    So using the push/pull to add bridge is a different wiring diagram than the one above, correct?

10. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe sjtalon is referring to a standard strat 5-way switch with a push/pull to turn the bridge on, adds the following 2 positions for 7 total
    bridge + neck
    bridge + neck + middle

The diagram I posted was like a standard telecaster wiring (3 way switch) with a middle position on, total of 6 sounds
    bridge, bridge/neck, neck
    bridge+mid, bridge+neck+mid, neck+mid
    (no mid only)

11. sjtalon

Yep, 5 way Strat-O-Tone (as factory). The switch simply adds the bridge to any sel. switch position.

Attached Files:

12. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Here's what I did.

I used the OLD American Deluxe Telecaster wiring. This adds a mini toggle switch in between the Vol and Tone controls (you could use a push-pull), which activates the bridge pickup in positions 2 and 4.

With the mini toggle engaged, position 4 now plays all three pickups, which gives a very thick Strat quack.

With the mini toggle activated, position 5 now plays the traditional Tele neck/bridge combo.

Positions (which are the Standard Strat postions):
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge + middle
    3. Middle only
    4. Middle plus neck
    5. Neck only
    Engaging the mini toggle yields the following:
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge + middle
    3. Middle only
    4. Neck + middle + bridge
    5. Neck + Bridge

Here's a picture of the old American Deluxe Telecaster (courtesy of telecster).
    [​IMG]

13. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    Sparks, NV
    Did something even simpler back when. SPST mini toggle that added the middle pup when "on" and did nothing when "off." I think that is what they did with the American Deluxe Tele back in 1997. Uses standard 3 way Tele wiring otherwise.

14. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    thanks for the diagram! it worked like a charm. even soldering with bleary eyes at 2am i was able to get this to work. I had to flip a wire on the tone pot though, because it was working in reverse. i might've just read the orientation of it wrong. thanks for all your help. i might have to route out some wood in the control cavity 'cause my tone pot sticks up a little too high for comfort, but thats no biggie. now im gonna go enjoy some o' that bridge/neck tone everyones a' talkin' 'bout.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.