Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Mini Practice

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele-rain, Aug 11, 2018.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Just wanted to share with you guys my bastardized practice session of “Something” by George Harrison/The Beatles. As always, I found the lesson on YouTube and eventually the strum patterns just become my own.

Since I’m always coming back here to gripe about my lack of moving forward (though admittedly, I’m sporadic with practicing), I was hoping you guys could take a look at this and give me some critiquing. What do you think I can be doing better to sound better? I already know myself the things that frustrate me are not being consistent, but I’m guessing that’s due to lack of regular scheduled practice time. But also, I don’t know if it’s my amp or my playing, but many times I just hear this wonky sound with some chords, like an off reverb or something. My amp is just a practice deal, Squier, with two gain settings and treble, mid, bass knobs. I tweak them here and there but can’t seem to get rid of that wonkiness I sometimes hear. I realize it is nearly impossible to point it out via an iphone recording, but hey, you never know.

Anyway, here’s the clip. For what it’s worth, I shorten the song and skip the last verse, I just go to the ending after where the solo would be (and yeah, it’s just the strumming. I’m not ready to try solos yet, especially not one from the late great quiet Beatle)

So, here...lemme have it!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2017
    Near Boring, OR
    Personally, to my ears, you sound better on "tape" (digits? recording, anyways....) than I do when I record myself. It sounded pretty darn clean.

I'm no teacher, but I think you're doing well. And you seem to realize that practice is the key to this whole guitar playin' deal. Keep it up!

tele-rain likes this.

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I'm not qualified to give a critique - just here to say it sounds like you're making music:)

Enjoy the journey!

tele-rain likes this.

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Your right hand fingers 2,3,4 are held out flatter than what I’d expect. If you relax those arm muscles that’s pulling those fingers backward you’ll have a natural forward curve of those fingers. Check a dozen videos you’ll see fingers curved in.

When you picked individual strings your 3,4 fingers dragged on the pick guard. Good, some people don’t get that.

I always suggest practicing with a drum loop.

tele-rain and Mr. Neutron like this.

5. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds pretty decent. One thing I would say is that your teaching video gave you an incorrect chord, unless you have deliberately changed it. Your F# should be F# minor. Try playing x65343 for your Eb. You are doing great.

BuckSatan and tele-rain like this.

6. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    That’s actually been a pet peeve of my own too, I always figured the curved fingers on the strumming hand happened because of finger picking or a combo of both. But I can definitely try to curve them a bit more while strumming, as you suggest.

And as for dragging on the pick guard, I’m guessing you mean that slight little rest? I don’t think I even knew I was doing that, so if it’s a good thing, awesome

Thanks!

7. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    It’s possible I messed it up along the way, I will definitely take note next time around and see if I can fix it. Thank you!

8. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Thank you for the kind words and motivation

9. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Hah!! Trust me, I know the feeling. Whenever I do tape anything, I can’t tell you how many takes I do before I get one decent one. And of course when I’m not trying to record, I feel like I sound so much better. I need to figure out how to secretly tape myself, lol. Thank you!

Chunkocaster and Mr. Neutron like this.

10. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Not Bad, Not Bad at all.

You have a nice "Natural" feel to your rhythm playing.
    Some people are able to express their individuality, some never do. I have seen great players who just sound like a carbon copy of their heroes. I could feel your vibe coming thru. Don't lose that!

Like someone else suggested: Try to play with a click track or a drum loop. You can set it slower than the actual song so that your chord changes are locked in. Speed it up gradually to the actual timing of the song. I can't stress how much doing this will help you improve over all.

FG

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well done, TR..... sounds nice and clean, with a good pace throughout.. .:)

it's a powerful thing to learn a song you know well... and think.. is that all they did...derrr...:lol:

here comes the sun - with a capo up the neck is nice to play as well.....

move forward and conquer all, TR....;)

12. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Wow thank you!! That means a lot considering my “skills” are based mainly on practice and repetition. I’ve come to terms with the fact I don’t have a natural ear for notes because I still struggle to play the simplest melody note for note, unless it’s by repetition. So if I’m getting my own vibe coming through all that, that totally rocks

I will work on playing with the metronome as you and everyone suggests. It can only help! Thanks again

13. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Thank you! Although I never think “is that all they did” because to me, it’s still phenomenal that these people can not only play the way they do, but come up with the melody, chords, lyrics, and the whole deal! Even if it’s a collaboration, it’s still awesome to me. I mean, Paul McCartney woke up with Yesterday melody running through his head, that never happens to me! And if it did, I couldn’t find the notes on the guitar to match what I’m hearing in my head. Another bit to work on, of course

14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    I’m not for Metronomes invented 200 years ago are outdated. Use a drum app like Drum Beats + 100s of drum patterns and way more fun. You can have blues, jazz, rock, pop, country, etc etc types of beats. You can have Swing Beats, 6/8, 3/4 shuffle. And some drum patterns for specific songs.

15. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Hmm thanks, I will look into that!!

16. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    And then maybe this is more fun, and gets you to practice more. But backing tracks can range in quality.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    tele-rain likes this.

17. humiliatedgrape

humiliatedgrape TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds great! It can be a difficult thing to make a song sound like the original song with just rhythm part, but I think you pull it off really nicely. Particularly with the smooth transition between strumming and individual notes. I've been learning the lead part to this song (solo + verse lead part) so it's great to hear someone play the rhythm counterpart to what I've been learning.

tele-rain likes this.

18. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Thank you! When I first started learning guitar, that was a big pet peeve of mine, not sounding like the song. Because I hadn’t realized yet that a song consisted of multiple parts all coming together, and the guitar was a combo of melody, rhythm, and embellishments! Once I grasped that concept, I figured well how do I make this sound okay from just one guitar? And I just got into the strumming it enough to sound like the song. I mean, I know there are way more advanced ways of playing both strumming and finger picking the melody, which I hope to get to on some level as well, but for now this is fun and what I can handle!

humiliatedgrape likes this.

19. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    I'm re-commenting to this because I've been paying more attention to my right hand fingers. I fully understand what you're saying now, and always attributed it to the fact that most players are used to a combo of finger picking and playing with a pick. I've been more cognizant of how I hold the pick overall. I tend to grip most of it in my index and thumb finger so that only the tip is hitting the strings. But now I realize with that, if I try to curl my fingers more, they tend to hit the strings as well, which is why I got used to extending them out as you mention. I'm guessing now this technique is better when hitting single notes, as in a solo or riff, but for overall strumming, it's better to have more of the pick exposed and hitting the strings.

So I've been trying to loosen up the grip on the pick and let more of it out, holding it further back. I've seen some people play like this and I always thought it was harder because it makes the pick more susceptible to slipping out of your hand, but obviously it's a technique to practice at like everything else. And I assume, like everything else, there are technical "right ways", but also a myriad of ways that just work best for each individual player. Now I'm exploring all of this as I continue my practice.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention!

20. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Here’s a good example of anchoring the little finger. Typically acoustic is picked a lot harder than electric to get volume.

tele-rain likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.