Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Midlife crisis Corvette thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CharlieO, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    I bought my C7 14 months ago.

I haven't regretted it for a minute.

A fantastic car.

Life is short, be happy.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

2. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Having the XK8 I’m probably automatically biased, but your Jag buddies are definitely right. When the XK8 and DB7 came out there were several comparisons made in reviews (a couple are available on YouTube). In most ways the reviewers seemed to prefer the XK8. The two negatives for the Jaguar were the Jaguar’s trunk was too big, and no matter how good the performance was on the XK8, the DB7 crushes it. For me my XK8 is my everyday car so I absolutely need the bigger trunk. Trust me, it is small enough as it is. Because the XKR has the same body, that would hold true as well. As far as performance the XKR really helped close that gap. The biggest difference for me with the Aston is it’s a manual transmission and the XK’s are automatic. I’ve had 11 knee surgeries. I’m never buying another stick shift. Also, in south Florida it would just be a pain in the azz.

As far as XK8 vs XKR, I’m not gonna lie. There have been a few times where I wished the XK8 had a little bit more. That in itself makes me happy I got the XK8. The XK8 still has 290 hp (XKR is around 360). It is a pretty darn fast car. When I’m on I95 and I think I’m going around 70 mph I look down and I’m around 90-100 mph. The bigger concern I had was for me the supercharger isn’t needed so it was just something that could go wrong and would be very expensive to fix. I’m not saying they are faulty by any means. I’m just throwing worst case scenarios out there.

To really understand the difference between the two the XK8 is a luxury car that acts like a sports car, and the XKR is a sports car that acts like a luxury car. The XKR has a stiffer suspension and tighter steering to accommodate the increase in hp. Still a very luxurious ride though. The XK8, XKR, and XK are all in the Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) category so none are listed as a sports or luxury car. Personally I don’t think an automatic could ever really be considered a true sports car anyway. They are all concerned performance cars, but there is a trade off between the two categories. Again they are designed for great distances, great speeds, and great luxury and comfort.

As for the convertible, it’s holding down a button for under a minute and you’re done. By the time you find some good music to listen to the top is already taken care of.

Corvettes are simply awesome cars. If adrenaline is your goal I’m pretty sure it will destroy even the XKR. If your want to drive great distances, at great speed, and in extreme comfort and luxury, then it’s the Jag all day. There has never been a time when I wish the drive wasn’t a bit longer. I’ve never been bothered with traffic either. My Jaguar is far more comfortable than my living room.

As far as perception goes, there will always be a small chuckle at the old dude driving a vette. The chuckle isn’t directed at the driver though. Let’s all agree that vettes are bad azz cars. There does seem to be a perceived statement of the owner wishing they were younger. The chuckle is just because it is cliche. The Jaguar has a different perception to me though. It’s a bad azz car designed for middle age and up men. It isn’t a midlife crisis car. It’s more for a midlife person to drive around in while screaming out to the world they are exactly where they want to be in life.

I’m sorry that I’m a broken record. I know it’s obnoxious, but I cannot stop going on about how much I love my car. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a car I loved driving, and all those cars I did love driving in the past aren’t even close to what I have now.

This could be important considering we are in a guitar forum. The only place I can fit a guitar case is lying vertically against the passenger front seat. Will not fit in trunk or backseat. If you plan to transport any kind of stack you have zero chance of that happening.

Whatever you go with, all your choices are exceptional. You’ll be loving whatever you get.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Colo Springs E likes this.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I am a modern Corvette fan, think they are obviously and without question the best deal going for performance cars but I would only own one if I had an opportunity to drive it really fast on a regular basis.

Short of that, I would find it frustrating and ultimately not worth owning.

Everybody has different motives/values though.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Would totally buy a C7 if I could afford it

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm just realizing, in my life I have never seen an XK8 "driven in anger". And by that, I mean the driver was really trying to push the limits of the vehicle. But just cruising like that, sure.

I think most "better" cars like to go faster, by nature. I was in one of the Saab 9-5s, being followed by a Lexus IS headed towards Nashville on I-24 (up Monteagle Mountain) yesterday and this poor single driver in a Kia Optima tried to stay up and just couldn't. I didn't really mean to be going so fast, with passengers, but it was just so effortless.

For those who don't know this section of road, check out Johnny Cash's catalog, about trying to get a semi rig safely down headed the other direction.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    acstorfer likes this.

6. boris bubbanov

I think this is the Secret. Don't buy more car than you can unleash on a regular basis.

The tourists are back home at work and in school, and things really quiet down up in the Appalachian Mountains with the kids in school and the locals having commuted to where-ever they have found work, and on midweek around noon you can just tear it up with a little Miata or S-2000 on these very tight mountain roads - especially going uphill. You have gobs of brakes and can back down a small light convertible so quickly. As for Corvettes, where exactly do you take them besides a pay for track, to air them out? Just too much car - car is too big and unwieldy for the tiny twisties one can find.

acstorfer likes this.

7. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    https://kerbeck.com/

I have looked here more than once. I live in Huntsville and could order and check museum delivery and go to Kentucky to pick it up.

8. boris bubbanov

Way wiser to take the ride to Kentucky.

Or, read on TGP what happened to a fellow from the Gulf Coast Mississippi on a Corvette he his wife got through Kerbeck. Yikes!!!!

9. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    What is TGP?

Actually I asked my wife a couple nights ago if I could buy a Corvette. She said yes knowing full well that when I get into one I feel claustrophobic. I told her that when I asked if i could buy a Camaro if she doesn't want to see one in the driveway she should say "no." But, I had a 2014 Mustang GT for about a year and traded it. Reason? I hated climbing in and out of it and fear the Camaro would have the same problem. The Mustang GT did everything it was supposed to do I just didn't like it. I have a six cylinder Buick Lacrosse. At any reasonable speed it keeps up just fine and is comfortable. I still look at Corvettes though.

10. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I love Camaros. My second car was a ‘78 Camaro and driving it was awesome. As far as the more current ones if you’re concerned about them being tight, they are. If you’re concerned about climbing in and out of it, your concern is justified. It’s kind of the nature of the beast being a sports car. This especially holds true in the high performance category of sports cars. You would most likely be happier with more of a muscle car. There are a lot of bad azz muscle cars out there that are roomy and off the ground.

11. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I had a Pontiac G8 GT for about five years and loved it. The closest I can find is the Hemi Charger and Chevrolet SS. At the moment I am fine with what I have.

acstorfer likes this.

12. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I totally see myself in this... :)

On a side note, those super powerful cars must be real difficult to drive. They spin so easily

CharlieO likes this.

13. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Now this right here is the problem that I am having with pulling the trigger on the Corvette, or a Jaguar or whatever. I have always believed that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow." I have owned 40 cars over the years, and I think that my current Crossfire is the most powerful and quickest with its 215 horsepower Mercedes engine and automatic transmission. Next on the list was my BMW 633 Csi, which wasn't "quick" at all. What the heck am I going to do with 460 horsepower and 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds? I make fun of the guys who spend big money on the Mclarens, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris that are all over this town stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Still, I like the Corvette, and the one I want will be equipped as a boulevard cruiser, so why not do it? Gotta go back and drive one again.

acstorfer likes this.

14. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    There are many ways to enjoy the capabilities of high performance autos in day-to-day driving. I like g-forces, and those are available through braking, cornering, and acceleration. Thirty years ago I got a chance to drive an E26 M3 and spent most of my time freaking out over how good the brakes were.

Driving the C7 again is a good idea. That's a beautiful and extremely capable car. But... I didn't see you mention this in your original query; would this be your only car? Personally, if I had a 'Vette, it would have to be for fun only. If you've had 40 cars you probably have them 2 or 3 at a time...

(full disclosure my daily driver is a frikkin Yukon but have a 40 year history with small, quick BMWs, current is an M2)

boris bubbanov likes this.

15. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    A 455hp camaro ss daily driver would be a good compromise, to feel big power and still be a usable commuter. Price is very reasonable in the US.

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    That's part of the appeal of something like a Miata or BRZ. Not particularly fast, but handles well and always gives the feeling of fast.

boris bubbanov and CharlieO like this.

17. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    The Corvette would not be my only car. My daily driver is a Chevy Volt. I always have two cars for my own use, and my wife has her own car. I may even hang on to the Crossfire because it's such a solid car and because my wife doesn't want me to get rid of it. I might still want it after my fling with the Corvette is over.

As I think you know, I have done the Miata thing before and don't see one as being right for the kind of driving that we do here. The BRZ looks intriguing, but I don't want a coupe. I always have to have a convertible in the stable.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

18. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    There ya go, I was going to say that you might want to hang on to the Crossfire if that was possible. The C7 would be a great addition to the stable but it is kind of a specialty piece.

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah I was just pointing out that some cars that aren't fast, feel faster than they are.

The BRZ is a nice drive. However, it did have a fairly noticeable dead spot in the 3-5k rpm range where I always felt the need to downshift if I needed to pass or whatever. The new Miata does not suffer that. The later model BRZs may have addressed that, mine was a '14.

Hope to see pictures soon! ;)

20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Dang, I was going to offer to personally remove it from your premises, at no cost to you.

CharlieO likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.