Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Midlife crisis Corvette thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CharlieO, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't need to rent one. I have driven enough of them that I know that like them a lot. The one that I am considering is fully-loaded with the Z-51 suspension and magnetic ride control, which is a pretty hot setup for great handling.

I am a stick shift kind of guy, and if I lived elsewhere that is what I would buy. I test drove a C7 with the stick, and it's just not fun on the kind of roads that we have here in stop and go traffic. I use the autostick in my Crossfire when I can, and I'm sure that I would use the paddle shifters in an automatic Corvette, too. As for the convertible top, mine goes down in the early morning and back up at around 9:30 AM when it gets too hot. It also goes up whenever I park anywhere. It goes back down again in the cool evening. That would be a pain with a Corvette coupe. I know from experience because I owned a Honda del Sol in the early '90s. That top setup is nearly identical to the Corvette coupe.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    One thing I can fairly well guarantee. If I choose to buy a sporty car I won't be asking opinions in this forum. I'll buy it because I like it. However...I may come here afterward to express my complete and utter joy with my new toy...

Stubee and Tsquared like this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Why not skip the Corvette and go right for the Biker Dude look.

[​IMG]

4. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

May 10, 2014
    albuquerque
    Hey CharlieO.... the dark green/tan top combo is stunning! I say go for it and don't worry about the "negative waves" .... you'll get plenty of positive waves along the way!

I bought a 2003 yellow convertible (in 2003) with the tan top.... it tends to get dirty but so what? I know how to use soapy water and a brush! its a blast to drive and very fast. One real negative is that it doesn't work in the snow or bad weather, so in that sense maybe it can be considered not practical.

So corvettes are common in Florida? So what? You know, strats and teles are pretty common.... that just says people like them! Ice cream is a common desert... because it's good!

william tele and CharlieO like this.

5. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I'd like some advice from you car guys regarding expected maintenance cost.

I've got it narrowed down between a 2005 Corvette Z51 and a 1999 911 Porsche Carrera. Which of these cars will cost more money in the long run?

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Thankfully my next door neighbor is a corvette man. He's owned a '62, a '76 and currently a '64 and a '12. I get to look at them for free. It's in my price range.

CharlieO likes this.

7. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

I thought the Dodge guy would kill the vette driver. But it sounded like they were ready to go to TGI Fridays afterwards.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    It's a vette .. either I'm glad my mid life crisis was guitars.

J Hog likes this.

9. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Southern California
    The Corvette will be much cheaper to operate. Gas, oil every 10,000, tires at 25,000, breaks at 50,000 (or less), spark plugs at 100,000. That's about it, gas n go for the Vette. The Porsche will be bitchy.

Tele1966 likes this.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Did you hear the one about the 2 Yuppies involved in a auto accident? It was a real Saab Story.:twisted::lol:
    Really though, the Saab is a great car.

11. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I’m a broken record but...

JAGUAR!

Depending on price get a used F-Type, XKR or XK. I’m assuming that breakneck speed is important to you or I would throw in an XK8 as well, but you’d just sneer at the 290 hp of the XK8.

If you want to step it up even more go for a used Aston Martin DB7 (or more current depending on what you want to spend).

What makes the Gran Turismo class of cars so amazing is they give you the performance and looks of a production sports car, but with the comfort of a luxury car, and with just stupid zsa zsa finishing touches.

These cars aren’t meant for kids. They are for discriminating adults who want the best of everything.

I’m 50 in January. Sure, there are times when I wish the steering was a little tighter when I’m rounding corners and such, but the pure relaxation I feel while driving down the Atlantic coast on the A1A in just complete relaxation and comfort, well it’s something very special.

CharlieO and Honest Charley like this.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Go for it Charlie! I've never been much of a Vette guy (though I like the 60s Stingray a lot), but it's a car you're lusting after and I know you're a car guy! I recently picked up a BMW Z3 and am having a blast. I say do it :)

I've never owned a Porsche, but have owned several European cars and know some guys who have owned older Porsches. I think the odds are the Porsche will cost a good bit more to own. But buying a sports car is never about making a sound financial decision ha ha It's about taking a vacation every day for 30 minutes on the way home from work or even on a grocery run.

I am a 100% dyed in the wool droptop kind of guy. I'll never be without one again unless my financial situation changes.

My man! I love the new F series and love all things Aston Martin. Either the F or the DB7 would be near the top of the list for me if money allowed.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Tele1966, CharlieO and acstorfer like this.

13. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2006
    Leafs Nation
    I would definitely recommend the Corvette. I love my C6 coupe. Fast and fun and just fine as a daily drive. I opted for coupe rather than convertible because I have to fit my wife and dog in.

Tele1966 and CharlieO like this.

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Here’s a few DB7s from $25,000.00 to $45,000.00 right here in Florida. Come on do it! Do it! Be James Bond! Do it!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Aston-Martin-DB7-d907

I’m the devil on your shoulder

CharlieO and Colo Springs E like this.

15. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    If you want it and can afford it, get it. Others be damned, it's your car.

CharlieO and Wallo Tweed like this.

16. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2010
    russell, NY
    The '99 911 (996 chassis code) had some teething issues the later 00-04 didn't. Check if the 'IMS' and 'RMS' seals have been done or had any issues. Those are that engines fatal flaw The Porsche will most likely cost a bit more to fix and maintain, but, you're driving a Porsche. Not a Chevrolet. (not trying to start a war on that last statement!!! I'm referring to brand perception.)

Tele1966 likes this.

17. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I've definitely noticed the IMS reference on many ads.

I've seen a fairly significant wide margin in asking prices for the 1999.

CharlieO likes this.

18. CharlieO

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I test drove 2 used F-Type convertibles yesterday, a base model and an S. I have to say that I like them but I want to drive them and then jump into a C7 Corvette immediately to make a good comparison. It is convenient that the Jaguar dealer happens to have 3 C7s on the lot right now, but I just didn't have time to do it. At the moment I am still leaning toward the Corvette, but the idea of buying a Jaguar with a certified warranty for similar money is appealing. Believe me, the warranty really saved me with my last Jaguar. This Jaguar dealer's service department was also great to deal with. It's always nicer when you're dropping your car off for major work and you know it isn't going to cost you anything. :)

I hadn't even considered an Aston Martin. My Jaguar buddies seem to think that if you want to go in that direction, you are better off with an XK or XKR.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

19. CharlieO

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    The Porsche absolutely will cost more to maintain, and the risk with the IMS is real. I have recently driven a few C6 Corvettes, and I think you will be happy with one.

Tele1966 likes this.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Ah, had forgotten about the intermediate shaft bearing issue--it's what has kept me from considering a Boxster. Recently one was for sale locally that had replaced that with an upgraded unit. I strongly considered, but was still a bit out of my price range.

Tele1966 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.