Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another "maybe by this Christmas" build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kwerk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    The fretboard on my old mustang is thinner than that. True it's a shorter neck, but how much difference would that make?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    build it build it build it

3. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    bet your mustang has a skunk stripe, does it? This is a double rod installed immediately under the fretboard, i.e. The fretboard is the only part taking on the rod adjustment, also it's one of those heavy duty box section alu channel ones. I haven't used this type before, the reason for my apprehension. I guess there's only one way to find out. Hope the weather holds for tomorrow, grey skies rolling in right now. :eek:

4. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good point. I forgot about that. I'm going to guess you have enough wood, but I'm hardly the expert here :)

5. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi Kwerk! Awesome build thread. I am very late to this thread.. been away all summer and just trying to catch up with everything. I saw this guitar on the kiwi site and wondered if you did a thread, I mean what kind of a compatriot am I?? I read the whole thread, took over an hour ha, love the catseye inlay and the cavity cover! I can categorically confirm that it is indeed kauri you have! the new neck looks great and all the scenery shots.. wow! I was wondering when Rewarewa would turn up, its such a beautiful wood and so incredibly stiff, I think the modulous of elasticity is something approaching 1300-1400. Cool!

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Great to see some more action on here Phil. What are you gluing the fret board on with? Yellow glue or poxy?

If epoxy you'll have to have the top of the TR box section completely free of the epoxy, or are you doing a spline over the TR?

7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Like the Martin truss rods? If it is, the installation instruction call for the side channels to be epoxied in the groove. That being the case, it can't directly contact the fretboard. I used one of those for my 12-string, it's at least .015" shy of the fretboard/below neck level ;)

8. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    It's a hybrid style, martin like in design but has the wedge in the centre. It's not glued in, in fact the tension can be let off and the whole thing can be removed (slides out thru the adjustment hole). It's a self contained mechanism, at least that's what the luthier that sold it told me. My concern is that I haven't yet even radiused it, so I'll lose about another half mm when I do that, leaving me a 4mm fretboard at apex, only 2/3 normal thickness.

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Can you glue a few layers of veneer to the bottom face of the fretboard?

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    That works :D, even make it a contrasting color veneer and swear you designed it that way :lol:

11. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Yep that would be cool. Do you recall Mark Rutters Rosewood build. Seemed like he had an incredibly thin fretboard but maybe I'm not recalling the specifics correctly. Anyway I vote for the laminate, it will look totally cool.

12. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Would be a great idea if the fretboard wasn't already glued down. ;)

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Gee, in that case, it's full steam ahead! :D

14. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    thanks man!

We should start a kauri/rewarewa club. ;)

After I saw your build I was confident mine was kauri too. Being from the Coromandel, mine will be a pup compared to yours. Probably only a sprightly 20000-25000 years, which may explain the lack of chatoyance. Yours looks like it'll dance nicely. ;)

15. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have a slab of swampy from the coro too and it is nearly identical to yours, same swirly grain on one side and very very heavy (sounds real nice though) The piece in my latest build is from Northland and is very different. Darker, sort of smokey and lighter.. quite interesting. The Northland Grand dad ha ha nice.

I always thought kauri and rewarewa would be cool combo and I was totally unawares of your build. Started mine last year too, must have been in the same space time continuum ha ha.

Great to see yours all finished up and seeing progress on your new neck.. Very cool jig table too!

16. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    April?

Holy cow. :eek:

Happy to report, finally, after a huge amount of advances and setbacks (as usual) that aren't worth documenting here, my nephew finally got his guitar today.

[​IMG]

Guess I was almost right with the name of the thread. ;)

17. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Aug 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well done Phil. Your nephew looks happy and the guitar looks great!

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, it came out fabulous.

And under a year!

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice.

20. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Sweet , looks great Phil , your nephew looks pretty happy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.