Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another "maybe by this Christmas" build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kwerk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got some flame Tasmanian Oak here if you want me to send you a neck blank, Phil. It's 19mm thick - needs a fretboard.

2. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Ya wanna do a swap for some rewarewa, Nick?

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Well DUH!!! Who isn't ;). Actually I don't want to make light of this fact, that's pretty encouraging to hear from someone with that sort of experience and knowledge, that's the kind of thing that will encourage you for the next 10 years of great builds. Very cool of him, please share some pics of your NAMM booth, I would spend a lot of time at your booth.

4. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Thanks, James, yeah I'm not sure when this thing is going down, sounds like it's very much in the early planning stages, but I'll be sure to document the show when it happens.

5. Nick JD

Wouldn't be a fair swap! I have a big plank that was cheap as chips, so you're welcome to some if you'd like.

[​IMG]

6. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Dang... look at that! :eek:

7. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Gorgeous, and a damn nice gesture. Hard to pass on that deal, gentlemen. ;)

8. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    The reamaining chunk of rewarewa is yours Nick, though I agree. Your Tassie Oak was cheap as chips, but my rewarewa was cheaper. What else can I throw in for you - some nice Golden Bay hops perhaps? ;)

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wow, that's for sure !

Can I grt a big "WOOT" :D

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That's it, rub it in guys. You live in the land of exotic lumber and I live in the land of the twisted studs..................................hey, there's a band name if you need one. Around here if it doesn't measure 2" X 4" it comes at a premium!

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Boy, do I recognize that tuner layout :rolleyes:. You didn't take the slots all the way through eh? A glutton for punishment :lol:

12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Basically!

13. Nick JD

I just check the plank. It's got a wobble! Let me see if I can find a bit that's long enough and still straight.

Grrr figured woods and stability! :mad:

14. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    No dramas Nick. Don't go out of your way, dude.

So, the neck part 2.

Oddly, on measuring the existing neck, the length is virtually correct for 24 3/4", so, I shortened the measurement by a measly 2mm, and set to.

Got it planed down and rough cut. I seem to do necks slightly differently each time, this time I'm going for the rough sandwich, with the routing and shaping to be done afterwards. Key of course is having a centreline, beyond that everything is a little random.

[​IMG]

So as mentioned, I needed to vary the truss jig. The jig is designed to accommodate my 1/4" Makita, the baseboard for the jig is exactly the width of the Makita base. So long as I align the centreline of the neck with the centreline on the baseboard, the Makita must run perfectly straight inside the guides.

[​IMG]

Of course the 1/2" Ryobi has a different baseplate size. Not by much,as you can see, but enough to mean adapting the jig.

[​IMG]

A difference of 4.9mm. I could cut another baseboard, and in the longterm if I continue to use this style of trussrod, I probably should. For today though, I decided some kind of spacers would do the trick. My usual go-to for this sort of thing is equal thicknesses of paper. It's a simple idea, grab a few pages, measure the thickness, and you can cut multiple spacers with the same page quantites to guarantee the same thickness. It can be kind of fiddly though, especially outside in the wind. I looked around for other options. Then I remembered my bumper pack of scraper blades. Four thicknesses gave me this:

[​IMG]

That oughta do it.

Went for 3 groups each side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Uh oh - this doesn't look good.

[​IMG]

Turned out to be the old bark worse than bite scenario.

Now, admittedly, I've used this router for the first time today. I'm not expecting great things from it at all. But, it has soft start and infinitely better fine adjustment than the little Makita. Plus, it's a lot more powerful. A channel like this I'd probably do in about 6 passes with the 1/4" router. This did it effortlessly in 3, in fact it could have done it eyes shut with 2, and probably wouldn't have balked at 1 either. I'm not going to gush about the Ryobi too much, but I may have to convert to 1/2" from here on out. The power and speed difference is substantial. I didn't realise how much I was missing out with the Mak. Curious.

Channel easily and quickly routed:

[​IMG]

The rod assembly is exactly 10mm wide, except where the bosses are, thickening a little. This includes the "wedge" area in the middle of the rod, so a little sidewall sanding was needed in a few areas.
    Once done, the rod is fitted. I'm not going to worry about a cosmetic fit for the adjustment nut. I'll just cap it and leave it a square hole, so a rout straight through the heel is fine here.

[​IMG]

Then - just for Jupiter, CRAMPZIRRAAA!!!

[​IMG]

Given my rough build technique this time round, I may be best to wait, but if I can work out exactly where the 12th fret is supposed to be, I may lay up the 12th fret catseye tonight. I might be pushing my luck a little, though. At least I can prep the shell, but I need to allow at least 12 hours for the epoxy to dry once it's installed.

Hopefully something more resembling a neck tomorrow, if the rain holds off.

15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Yes..................quite odd :rolleyes:

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Your jigs make me quite jealous.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    And then what happened?

18. kwerk

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Work, a trip away and bad weather in my outside "shop".

I've got the rough fretboard on the rough neck, but I must have had something under the baseboard of my router planer setup - the fretboard is 6mm thick at the headstock end but only about 4.5mm thick at the heel. If I proceed and radius the fretboard as is, I'm a little worried such a low profile fretboard may pop right off or break when I put the trussrod under tension. I have to decide whether to proceed or strip the fretboard and have at it again. I only have one piece of fretboard wood left and I was saving it for another build, so I have decisions to make, never a good thing for a serious procrastinator like me. ;)

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I say go for it Phil--your neck will remain perfectly straight anyway, :)mrgreen:) you won't need to adjust it, so just get on with the build. :cool:

Well, anyway, this is your build for you, right? Go ahead with the build, and make yourself a promise that if you pop off the FB, you'll make yourself a neck out of that gorgeous stuff Nick's sending you. Can't lose!!

Nice job on adapting the TR jig. I've had one really crappy Ryobi router, and one pretty decent one. 1/2 inch routers are a totally different animal from the 1/4" ones, I also remember being amazed at how much better they seemed. I'm almost 100% converted to 1/2 " now.

20. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    ^^^ Wut he said. ;)

Build it! Build it! Build it! We miss you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.