Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another late (73) custom (bound) tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by onstage76, Jul 20, 2017.

1. onstage76

onstage76 TDPRI Member

May 10, 2006
    melbourne australia
    Some time ago I posted about I guitar I ended up buying that has been butchered, almost beyond recognition, but for which the best explanation was that it was a very last custom telecaster, made in 1972. See here for that thread http://www.tdpri.com/threads/maple-cap-on-a-1972-transition-neck-photos.610560/

Then this was posted on Reverb. It's supposed to be a 73? Interesting stamps on the neck and body would appear to confirm this. Check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    I reached out to the seller. It seems the neck is refinished which seems odd but there is a picture of a signature that is under the finish. Not saying I doubt this piece but that starts to give me some discomfort. Also the finish checking looks like nitro to me vs my 74. Like I said it looks pretty legit but some things strike me as a little odd

3. onstage76

onstage76 TDPRI Member

May 10, 2006
    melbourne australia
    No I agree with the finish observation - perhaps the body is a refin as well. Will watch and see. Interesting - but I just don't reckon that guitar as it appears was built in 1973 - they just weren't making them, unless it was some kind of custom order? Never heard of a 1973 custom tele. 72 is the latest I have found. Anyways... thanks for info!

Gibsonsmu likes this.

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    What about the possibility that a leftover body was found and completed to sell? I don't really recall guitar companies worrying about model years and exact specs.

I have a late '72/ early '73 Custom (the one with the neck bucker) and the fading of the sunburst looks almost identical. I was told by reliable sources that the bursts were still nitro in '73.

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    Can you make out what the code is on the butt end of the neck? Just as an observation, headstocks from that era tend to have discoloured quite a bit.

6. onstage76

onstage76 TDPRI Member

May 10, 2006
    melbourne australia
    No - can't make out all of it - but it does say 3 OCT in what is clearly the old date stamp style - which the experts say ceased by March 1973 (Greg Gagliano) and I have not found one later than that. So its a peculiar find. The pots also look changed to me and the neck plate looks a little wonky which isn't unusual I suppose in this era (though it doesn't have the black plastic bit underneath either). Nice looking guitar though.

7. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    Mine is week 34 1973 with the eight digit code, and I've always understood the previous neck codes ceased early '73. It's also got the black plastic gasket at the neck plate

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.