Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Another fuzz build...

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by tacomamc, Jul 6, 2017.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    So what are some good fuzz circuits using these op amps? I've got a handful of lm741's, and a couple others. I think the CD4049UBE, and tl 062?

TeleOrLes likes this.

2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I just came across a discussion that mentioned a Lo-Fi Demo Tape Fuzz that uses an lm 741. I'll see if I can find a vero for it.

3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    awasson likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Yes, that's the one. I can't remember what ic's I have... I'll check tomorrow.

6. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I can suggest looking up uA741 or TL071 guitar amps, preamps, or effects. If you can already read drawings or schematics click on images to save yourself some time. There are a lot of drawings using the single op amps as well as a lot of circuits with two channel op amps like the JRC4558, Lm358, or TLO72 or above. I recently lost my collection ot schematics when a large usb drive took a crap but as I try to replace them I'm still finding some simple and/or cool ones out there. :confused:

7. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Before I forget, I'm still finding lots of GE or SI fuzz & distortion drawings out there. Over the years I've picked up a bunch of GE transistors. I really like the Russian transistors & have had really good results with them. Plus you can still get them pretty cheap. I like the Russian NPN transistors to stay with a negative ground . :cool:

8. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2010
    San Dimas
    I think you need to move the red wire 2mm to the east.

littlericky likes this.

9. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The Cd4049 makes an excellent fuzz.

Anode100 likes this.

10. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Luckett, got a layout for good fuzz using the CD4049?

11. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Search google images for cd4049 and you'll find lots of stuff. I had forgotten all about logic chips being used for effects but I'm pretty sure I made some, way back in the day, in the late 70's with 4011's 4001's and that sort of thing.

I found this on a quick search. It looks interesting: http://web.archive.org/web/20010618211121/members.home.net/fclarke/fx/hotharm3.gif

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't have a layout for anything off hand that I would recommend. I made my own from bits of ideas mashed together from other circuits and went straight from breadboard to perf.

Take a look at the red llama, tube sound fuzz, the 4049 circuits at runoffgroove and cook something up on breadboard. Making your own layouts with 4049s are easy and compact since the you have so many gain stages on one chip.

To get the higher gain fuzz, you want to use three or four gain stages and play with the feedback resistors/pots to get what you like. You can get anything from a ragged fuzz face/tweedish type sound to smooth big muff sounds from the same circuit.

The 4049s are versatile and easy to work with to mold into something that you like. If you haven't tried making your own circuit yet, give it a try with a 4049.

13. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Sounds like good advice, thank you.

14. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    @tacomamc, what was the results of this Fuzz? Did you stick with Q1 = 2N2222a, Q2 = bc108b, 50pf filter on Q2 & 100uf filter on power?

I'm going to build this one too.

Thanks,
    Andrew

15. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Yes, but I have the 50pf cap on both transistors. Please Let me know how yours turns out..... I don't like mine at all. Definitely fuzzy, but the rolloff with the guitars volume is abrupt, and there's still squeal if I max the fuzz control. I've shelved it for the near term.... will rebuild or modify it after I finish up a few other projects.

16. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Yes, the CD4049 is a CMOS hex inverter.

CMOS buffers and CMOS inverters can essentially be used as pseudo op-amps with non-inverting and inverting outputs (respectively). I've seen the inverters used to make multivibrators. Basically they work by amplifying the signal, and passing it on to another inverter. DOing so with multiple stages clips the signal and produces "fuzz". Though I've always likened their sound to more of an 80's distortion (bugus), and not a 60s Fuzz (groovy).

18. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa

19. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, I've only got those triangular 10k trimmers too. I'll try with those and if they don't have enough I'll Series a set of 10k resistors with them. I can actually fit the trimmers on without modding the layout. They just extend past the transistors but are fine as far as the circuit goes.

I also been looking at a silicon Tonebender MkII to try out: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2017/06/silicon-tonebender-mkii.html

20. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    ..... haha... you're going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. You've been warned.

It's fine though, I'm sure we'll cross paths often in there.

21. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey great timing. I was just going to post... I'm back on track.

I'll do that Tonebender MK II later. I'm all in on the Silicon Fuzz Face that started this discussion.

I've got all the parts except for the 1K Fuzz pot, which I'll grab locally. I'll also get some BC108's while I'm at it. I made some transistor sockets out of ic sockets and I'll swap out the transistors to see how it performs with BC108's, 2n2222's 2n3904's and 2n5088, which I think might perform well or at least better than 2n3904's and 2n2222's.

tagboard is cut, parts are gathered so I should be able to place the parts and have it ready to test with 2n5088's for tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do for the 1k fuzz pot but I'm sure I'll find something around here to sub in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.