Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another first time build... and some stupid questions.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tortoisemon, Mar 10, 2017.

  1. guitarbuilder

    guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

    Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm a believer of using the right tool for the job at hand. That's not one of them....as always...YMMV.
     
    John Nicholas likes this.

  2. tortoisemon

    tortoisemon TDPRI Member

    50
    Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA
    If I had an unlimited tool budget I would agree. But I don't, so I'm a big practitioner of improvising with what you have. But I really appreciate the cautions and intend to research it a bit more and try it out at slower RPMs with an external speed controller. I'll report back if I find any problems.
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

  3. tortoisemon

    tortoisemon TDPRI Member

    50
    Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA
    Oops! I've managed to get way behind in posting photos and progress. It's been a busy summer! But the good news is I finished my first guitar build! Yay! Thanks to everyone on this forum.

    And the best news - it's playable! Since that was my only firm goal I have to say I am very pleased with the whole thing. Already thinking about the next one. Here's a few photos:

    Drilled a hole for the jack cup.
    SAM_5656.jpg

    I experimented with a few stains and finishes on scraps. I decided to go with the General Finishes water-based amber dye-stain. I really like the color and the way it highlighted the grain.
    SAM_5737.jpg

    Then many coats of tru-oil for the clear coat.
    IMG_20170521_161932.jpg
    IMG_20170521_163810.jpg

    Then just tru-oil on the neck. I set aside the cheap K-mise neck I originally bought because I discovered it needs some work and instead bought a Mighty Mite tele replacement neck. Very happy with this one.
    SAM_5746 (1).jpg

    I really enjoyed the wiring and assembly but forgot to take photos. I learned that a 22-fret neck makes it a pain in the arse to remove the pickguard with the bridge pickup mounted to the body. Instead I mounted the pickup to the pickguard which made it a little easier. I puzzled over string mis-alignment until I discovered that the original bridge I purchased had the holes for the saddle screws a little off-center. After briefly considering mounting the whole bridge off-center to compensate I came to my senses and ordered a new bridge. That cured my struggle and everything lined up perfectly.

    And voila! A guitar!
    SAM_5973.jpg
    SAM_5968.jpg
    SAM_5966.jpg
    SAM_5996.jpg

    I did my best amateur setup and played around with a few different string gauges to assess them. I also had to replace a 'scratchy' volume pot. But overall I'm blown away by how well it plays! I'm going to have a luthier friend work on it and I'm sure he'll get it playing even smoother.

    Thanks again to everyone! I'm very happy with how the whole process went and I can't tell you how much I learned.

    Thinking about the next one. Trying to decide if this Colorado blue stain beetle-kill pine would make an interesting tele...
    SAM_5862.JPG

    Cheers!
     
    callasabra and Mat UK like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.