Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another EHX Reissue - Op Amp BMP

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by beninma, Dec 12, 2017.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    https://www.ehx.com/blog/electro-harmonix-announces-re-release-of-op-amp-big-muff

This one looks pretty amazing. I guess I'm in that age range where when I think fuzz I want to sound like Smashing Pumpkins. Nice demo and stories with Billy Corgan in the video.

I have a WH Swollen Pickle Mk IIs I may sell it and get one of these.

The comments on EHX's facebook page for this video are absolutely hysterical. You can sum up 50% of the comments are, "Nope, Billy Corgan is wrong, that is not how Billy Corgan wrote/played on Siamese Dream, I read something in some magazine in the 90s that said it was something else!" The other 50% of the comments are, "Did you watch the video, that's him in the video showing exactly how to get that sound!"

2. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Thanks for posting on this.

I had quit playing guitar for years but was always curious how they got that sound on siamese dream. When I got back into guitar I found numerous references to IC big muff clones and what-not. Good stuff.

3. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    It was way before I ever picked up a guitar but when SP was at their peak I was in college and was listening to it non stop for several years. I didn't have a big budget for music and remember rotating through a couple of their CDs + Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd incessantly.

hongaku and Staypuft1652 like this.

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Wow -- soon you'll be able to have a mini NYC, a mini Green Russian and a mini Op Amp on the same board :)

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Devi Ever made some pretty good sounding Fuzz pedals with Billy in mind. #troublemaker #firestarter

6. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    I've tried more than a few boutique fuzz pedals. None have ever made me feel they lived up to the hype. Hype around fuzzes seems pretty excessive imho. Kept my Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. I like it well enough, especially with my Rickenbacker 360.

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    With all the boutique variations on big muffs, I don't see why EHX shouldn't cash in on it. Might be cheaply made with questionable durability, but from what I've heard so were the originals. Keepin it real.

jddub440 likes this.

8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    I trust that Billy would find it hard to sell or promote something he didn't like. I mean he could but you'd see it on his face if he hated it. This thing sounds great in the video.

tele-bastard likes this.

9. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    I haven't tried the Devi's.

Those of you that have tried to tweak the BM for Pumpkins sound, how key are the Lace Sensors in getting the sound? Also I wonder if that Siamese dream sound was in the bridge neck or mid of a strat. Billy C had Laces in all three pickup positions.

artdecade and CV Jee Beez like this.

10. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga

11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I had been searching for a fuzz like this for along time.

I found the perfect pair (or trio) of fuzzes in the Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss Fuzz, which to mine ears, hits that Smashing Pumpkins sound perfectly, and the Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz, which has a Fix'd Fuzz and a Musket Fuzz in it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.