Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another "Desert Island" Discussion

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jay Jernigan, Jan 14, 2018 at 7:54 AM.

1. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    I know that we will all chase new and interesting tones, forever, but most of us have a favorite; it may be a certain pickup in a certain guitar or a favorite switch position in general, or a combination of things (70%neck, 30%bridge, tone back to 7; you get my drift), you know, the one that sounds like you and you can't do without. I'll start.
    My favorite has to be bridge+neck in series, SC p'ups, tone control to taste. If the two sound good individually, they will almost invariably sound good together because you are effectively adding them together so there is little or no frequency cancellation. With the right settings (amp, pedal, etc.) I have found this to be the most versatile selection, for me, anyway.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks, JJ

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    desert island? call me crazy, but i'd rather have a pair of acoustics - guitar and mandolin. :D

i like single coil pickups that are well wound and powered by alnico rod magnets. that's about it, the footprint doesn't matter much whether tele or strat. what these passive pickups feed onboard is important to me - 250k's with a no-load tone and a metered small cap (015uf or so), all routed to a nice little class A tube amp with 12" or maybe 10" speaker. it's all subjective fun kinda stuff, eh? :cool:

3. Jay Jernigan

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Thanks, Rob. I went back and quoted your last statement in the tags. Hope you don't mind as that is the true spirit of the thread.

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I'm really easily pleased.

I've got a set of Fender OV's, a Don Mare Stelly (strat on a Tele neck bobbin)/Supersport set, and Classic 60s alnico/who knows ceramic. Love them all. Amp is a Mission 5E3 that makes everything sound good.

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'd be perfectly happy with my Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood drednaught. I wouldn't need an electric to entertain myself and I'd want a guitar I'd want to play every day. Throw in a few sets of strings and a capo and I'd be good to go.

Random1643 likes this.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    My favorite bridge pickups so far have been a Hamel Broadcaster and an Ellis 50/60. I tend to mostly play Esquires, so neck pickups are relatively irrelevent to me...I like the Vintage early 50's type pickups

Jay Jernigan likes this.

7. Jay Jernigan

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    I appreciate your responses; there are no wrong answers here, not really thinking about "desert island" literally, though.
    I have a friend who is an exceptional guitarist and who moves around between a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul quite regularly and while he uses other settings for color, occasionally, 95% of the time his selector is firmly planted on the neck pickup. So the answer, for him, would be: "neck pickup".
    I hope I have clarified the question.

8. AbisFjord

AbisFjord TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Texas

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Give me a good bridge pickup and a tone control. By good I mean just a little hot. Enough to cut a little of the high end and make the mids stand out. Single coil is fine.

Jay Jernigan likes this.

10. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Bluesboy middle position - Bridge & Neck together .

Jay Jernigan likes this.

11. Jay Jernigan

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    THAT'S what I'm talking about.

tery likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.