Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another capo question, any good vintage capos? (Hamilton maybe)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by avigo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. avigo

avigo TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    US
    Hey guys,

I don't use a capo a whole lot.
    I'd love to get one with a vintage vibe to go with my road worn tele.

I'd need something that works with a 7.25" neck

What capos would have been used in the 50s/60s?

Would something like the Hamilton screw capo have been used?

Are those decent capos? Again, at this point, I'm only playing to myself in my bedroom and don't need a super expensive capo. Really just want something that fits the look.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018

2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Never saw a decent capo back then. The choices we have today are far better. (Maybe I missed the good ones ...)

3. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    brookdalebill likes this.

4. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Shubb C4b is brass and has a 7.25” radius. They look classic to me and are low profile. All the old capos that I have had were subpar.

You could always pull all the rubber parts off of it, tie it to your bumper and take a spin around the block . . .

5. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Arkansas
    Old guys at church used to give me their ancient capos all the time, I used to have quite a collection...some of them were "reliced" from years of being exposed to annointing oil and sweaty people getting hold of them after intense altar sessions begging forgiveness for activities from the previous night's music playin' in places they didn't think they should have been...

...I need to dig 'em out of wherever they're stored and get some pics I guess.

davidchagrin likes this.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, in 1969, I made capos out of a short pencil and heavy rubber bands.

Not kidding at all. A lot of guys did it.

7. Churchjack

Churchjack TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    I always thought those stretchy hootenanny-woven capos had a antique, hip vibe to 'em. I remember seeing those in the '60's, too.
    Ya know, the words "vintage" and "capo" would never have occurred to anyone in a natural setting. I love this place....

rand z and davidchagrin like this.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    That's what I was going to recommend too. You can buy them from Chinese sellers on eBay. Just buy several of them because they (like the old ones) stretch out quickly and become less effective. I still use one for my classical guitar. For my electrics and regular acoustics, I use a D'Addairo NS Capo Pro.

davidchagrin likes this.

9. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Wisconsin USA
    IMHO get a Shubb you like, I don't know how many nice old guitars I've picked up over the years that had nasty capo scars on the back of the neck. Those old clamp style capos would do that. Modern capos are much improved and very compact.

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have a Shubb and a "modern" stretcher (Bill Russel I guess) plus few budget SCi-fi look new ones, the Shubb is the only one worth using, should do you fine..

11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    I have a small collection that I've accumulated over the last 50 year's.

My oldest is one of the woven, elastic , multi-colored ones... still work's, too. Second, and maybe even older is a Hamilton with a metal squeeze handle and a swivel bar that locks after you depress the handle... also, still works.

I think either one would qualify.

12. Soof

Soof TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Yes, the old Hamilton would work. Still does on my Martin 12 string! Mine is from the 60's. Yikes!

They're under 10 bucks and I think you can still find them on e-bay.

Hamilton Capo .JPG

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Any idea what Robert Johnson had in this photo (aside from a freakishly long pinky finger)?

[​IMG]

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Honestly, all of the older capos I've used have sucked. Get one of the newer ones with adjustable tension, especially for electric. Those old ones exert too much downward pressure and cause you to go out of tune.

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Not to mention they eat up frets like crazy when they're that tight. D'Addario currently makes a number of good minimum tension models.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I was just going to mention Planet Waves. I have two Planet Waves adjustable capos and they are both pretty awesome.

18. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    Another vote for the shubb c4. It may not be the look of 50s/60s devices, but they are simple, efficient, and durable. I used curved Dunlop toggle capos in the past (still do on acoustics).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.