Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another "Can you identify" thread - 2010 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by squierjosh, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:01 AM.

1. squierjosh

squierjosh TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    MN
    Looking to trade my FSR HSS Strat for a Tele, and received these pictures from someone. They are blurry, but he said the first few letters and numbers are MX10, so 2010 MIM. But, the body looks like a regular old Standard Tele. The headstock has the spaghetti logo and the vintage style tuners. Anyone recognize this? Google has not been working well. Thanks!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:12 AM

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Could be an MIM Standard in CAR with swapped out tuners. I’d ask for better and more detailed photos along with complete serial number to send to Fender, who can give you the build specs for that neck.

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Those aren't vintage style tuners in the first photo - top side of the headstock.

I'm suspicious that the 2 headstock shots are 2 different guitars.
    Or maybe the top picture was taken before the tuner swap.

Otherwise, it looks like a MIM Standard.

Approach with caution - and get more info/better pictures.

esetter and mnutz like this.

4. squierjosh

squierjosh TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    MN
    When did the Standard use that spaghetti logo though?

5. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I've seen "vintage style" tuners on eBay that don't have split shafts. These could be those.

If you zoom in on the front of the headstock, you can see that the hex-shaped threaded bushings have been replaced with conversion bushings.

7. I agree proceed with caution. BTW the headstock looks very similiar to a 2010 James Burton Tele. Also noticed the top hat has been changed I believe as well.

Very close other than the signature to this one - https://reverb.com/item/3453464-fender-james-burton

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM

8. crossroader

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Interesting. I've never seen those - didn't know they existed.

I'm also wondering about the decal. I'll have to check my 2014 MIM Standard when I get home. I can't recall now exactly what it looks like.

9. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Just pass. Think of it this way. If you were offering your guitar for trade to someone wouldn't you send clear crisp photos and a serial number so they could see what you were offering.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC

11. crossroader

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    OK, checked my 2014 MIM Standard - that's not the right decal.

Likely a parts-o-caster. Not necessarily a bad thing, but fuzzy pictures and the lack of any explanation are red flags.

Personally, when I see pictures like that from someone trying to sell something, I keep scrolling.
    If they can't be bothered to post pictures that are simply in focus, I don't want to deal with them.

teletimetx likes this.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I agree - most likely partscaster. I have a JB standard - they come with the 6-saddle rattle hammer bridge, not the saddles you see on the OP's guitar to ID.

Also has small "James Burton" signature on face of headstock and tuners are split shaft as mentioned above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.