Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another 'can you help me with a wiring diagram' thread.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Fenderflame, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    I posted this as part of a NGD thread over at 'partscasters' but it's gone a bit quiet so I thought I'd try over here.

I recently picked up a Vintage V72HFTB:

IMG_1075.JPG

Two Humbuckers (both with 4 wire), a single volume and a single tone.

Ideally I want to change the switch to give me this:

View attachment 557728

I've been pointed to a couple of different diagrams but I don't think they give me exactly what I show above.

Two questions:

1, is it acheiveable?
    2, do I need a strat style 5 way or a 'super switch'?

Thanks

2. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Drenthe
    That's a really nice looking guitar!

Unfortunately I can't view your attachment. If you can fix that I'll be happy to help you.

3. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Hopefully this works:

IMG_0786.JPG

Basically...

1, coil split neck
    2, humbucker neck
    3, both humbuckers
    4, humbucker bridge
    5, coil spilt bridge

Thanks

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    well i linked you two wirings form SD website .... both with 5 normal and superswitch.... the only difference you ask here is that you want split in the first and last position, usually the splits are in 2nd and 4th position ....

i don't think it will be so hard to reverse that ... but the schematic are basically the two that i've linked to you, i wouldn't go with the split at least in the bridge in the 5 position ... when you go to solo usually you slam into the switch to put it there ... if you have the sc split there your sound might be thinner for solos ( looking at it from a rock & performing perspective )

5. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 20, 2009
    PA
    I agree. Have you considered a separate switch to do the coil splitting?

6. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Thanks all for your help and suggestions. In the end I found an old 4 way switch and went for a very simple neck humbucker / neck single coil / bridge single coil / bridge humbucker arrangement. It occurred to me that I never use the middle position anyway. Sounds lovely.

7. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Thanks all for your help and suggestions. In the end I found an old 4 way switch and went for a very simple neck humbucker / neck single coil / bridge single coil / bridge humbucker arrangement. It occurred to me that I never use the middle position anyway. Sounds lovely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.