Another Boomer checkin' in before he checks out!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by -Lefty, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Nice one dude. I play in an acoustic duo as well, but most of my early stuff starts from the Seventies. :p Albeit there is some late 60’s stuff slotted in here and there. :cool:

2. stanger

stanger TDPRI Member

Wow! What a great story, Lefty!
    But you forgot the punch line! How did you get those shoes?

Like you, I'm a newbie here too, and I'm as glad as you are that I stumbled on this forum.

The Telecaster isn't the guitar for just everyone and never was. But it calls to those who it chooses, and once called, there is no other guitar that can ever compare to those folks. The Tele's versatility was something I had to lose before I really came to appreciate it, but now, I have another one, and I'm now amazed at how many different players the Tele has captured for life.
    regards,
    stanger

howardlo, nojazzhere and -Lefty like this.
  3. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Greetings.

-Lefty likes this.
  4. -Lefty

-Lefty TDPRI Member

Thanks All!! I really appreciate the warm welcome everyone.

stranger - Just a pic. Those are Jimmy's not mine-Ha. I think those shoes are in a museum. And yes the Tele does get under your skin. Can't shake it!

alnico357-
    Cool tunes to keep in the rotation!

macrogats-
    Keep the oldies going & yes cool to see the masters play when they were younger.

unixfish- Yep-the spaces occupied by our favorite guitarist become sorta special!

Fodder for thoughts: I did see Hendrix play and it was crushing! Also saw Jeff Beck several times; front row seats, BS Pass, greenroom- the works.-and once had a conversation with JB about the tele he had played that night.

I was a "guest roadie" for Danny Gatton one evening in Nashville. After the gig he handed me his Tele for safe keeping while he chatted with his fans and wound down. Scotty Anderson opened. Yes I played Danny's tele.

I have also played one of Steve Vai's guitars- Flo I think it was and did you know the Vai plays Danny Gatton tunes on the tour bus? Yep. SV a big Tele music fan.

Keneally plays a mean tele-but not tele style at all. Zappa style on a tele.

So not braggin' just putting out some tidbits that might be fun to discuss sometime.

Like the time in Cinci when I was invited to a Social Distortion concert by their Roadie. I was back stage at the roadie's guitar station and there was a full blown fist fight by fans that had jumped the stage. I sat safely high up on an amp cab-behind the curtain while lifting my feet as security pummeled the assailants. Then by concert's end-there were so many left over shoes laying around. One had been thrown at Mike Ness and hit his Les Paul squarely on the neck. He calmly just walked over to us and was handed another tuned guitar. No sweat for Mike-just a part of his world.

Which section does this "memory Lane" stuff go anyways?

Again-thanks all!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome Sir,, always room for more Lefties;)

-Lefty likes this.
  6. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

Howdy, welcome to the club.

-Lefty likes this.
  7. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Welcome to the forum buddy !

-Lefty likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

One small correction.....it was Sam the Sham and the PHARAOHS......;)

-Lefty likes this.
  9. -Lefty

-Lefty TDPRI Member

nojazzhere- You are 100% correct and apologies for being lazy on the spelling. Can't seem to edit it now dang it.

Correction: It was Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs on the bill with Tommy James and the Shondells plus The Yardbirds..

Thanks man

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Welcome to the forum. You have great taste in guitars...Teles!

I'm a boomer myself, 71. Been playing since 1957. Just wish my skill level reflected that fact.:(

-Lefty likes this.
  11. -Lefty

-Lefty TDPRI Member

Thanks howardlo . I think I started at 7 also-but on Hawaiian slide guitar. Took lessons and the teacher got mad at me because I would not read the notes once I picked up the tune by ear. I just played the tune and he insisted that I did not do that; instead-read each note-play it-go on to next note etc.. Of course I quit all of that.. picked it up again at 14, by ear-never looked back. Well not until now..Ha

12. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Actually in 1957 I was ten years old. Also took lessons and learned to read music (one of the best things I've ever done). Progress was slow, as I didn't like to actually practice. One day the teacher told my mother that maybe we should quit the lessons as I wasn't practicing and making much progress. We did continue with the lessons and I hooked up with a couple other kids and we started to play rock and roll and began a band.

About a year later the guitar teacher again told my mother that we probably should quit the lessons. My mother told her that she thought I had been making a lot of progress. The teacher told her that was the problem, that I was playing things that she couldn't play. I had passed her by.

-Lefty likes this.
  13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

-Lefty likes this.
  14. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

He y'all sure pegged me with this post ..Welcome to an interesting place in time:cool:

-Lefty likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.