Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Bad Movie Experience

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Respect has been on the rapid decline since the advent of the cell phone and then texting came along and that seems like the end of it. At least in this country, civility is under direct attack now. I am so glad that I'm up here on the mountain as it all plays out. Be careful out there in the concrete jungle fellow TDPRIers.

1955, JeffBlue and brookdalebill like this.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    The last couple of times my wife and I have been to the movies, we've been plagued by irritants who find it impossible not to get their mobile phones out every time the bloody things "buzz". One even had a five minute conversation during the film.

I really wish that they'd install some sort of blocking device that prevents phone signals getting through once the film has started.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I love bad movies !

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The "obnoxious person seated behind you" thing can happen anywhere. It's not a movie thing. It's just the luck of the draw and it stinks.

I took my daughter and wife to the Brewers/Twins game about 10 days ago. My daughter loves baseball. Directly behind us were two hecklers who screamed through the whole game. One of them screamed so loud that he spit on my head (and apologized) twice.

It got very dark and ugly for me when they got racist. Jesús Aguilar steps up to bat and these guys were making fun of his name (Jesus) any they were screaming Taco jokes. They were screaming nasty things with Hispanic accents. I have many dear friends in Mexico after diving there for 30 years and I wanted to hit one of the hecklers at the ball game. I'm a lover; not a fighter but I was dreaming of breaking a guy's jaw. It's not just the movies. There are dumb*sses in all sorts of places..

So; have a wonderful happy day! :D

william tele likes this.

5. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

LSD is a hell of a drug!

6. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    That's because cell phones suck the brains out of peoples heads. Yet another Internet truth.

Obsessed and 1955 like this.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    “Ever since that consarned telegraph was invented, The world has gone to hell in a hand basket, by golly !”

8. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I haven't been in a movie theater in the past ten years due to the cell phones and rude patrons. I also don't like the advertising and trailers. I can watch TV to get advertising, and trailers are easy to find. Soda and snacks are a lot cheaper at home and I can stock the snacks I like at home.

I doubt that I am missing anything that won't be on Netflix or amazon prime. I don't care if I do miss something.

1955 and JeffBlue like this.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

A few years ago... I took the fam to a game and we had a drunk crew doing what you describe. The Giants do not accept it AT ALL. I turned to them (after I realized they weren't just gonna settle down on their own) and I said, "If you want to see the rest of the game in this stadium, you are going to need to knock it off." They advertise a text number that you put in your section and where the problem is and the ushers and cops show up, take the people out never to return....

The group (it was like 6-8 people) muttered under their breath something that I did not hear... but they clammed up... about 10 minutes later, they left and we never saw them again... in the 8th when the ghiradelli hot chocolate kid came by, the people directly behind us bought us all hot chocolate and thanked us for making the game better. I only said something because it was out of hand and the language was violent, excessively crude and somehow I felt threatened by it and invaded. I know that standing up and taking it all on kind of scared my family, but once the people left and it was over.. they were glad and now they brag about it (which kind of bugs me too)....

99% of the time, I adjust the situation to my needs... when I can't, I either endure or deal. I'd bet the brewers have a text # too... We used that once on a dude that was wasted and being an idiot.

1955, AAT65, Wildcard_35 and 4 others like this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    One of the reasons I don't enjoy theater movies is the sound. Oh yes, it's all 3D and realistic and all...but it's too loud. My hearing sucks...and it's too loud. In spite of how loud it is I still can't understand much of the dialog. Why in the %&#$ do they insist on making the background music louder than the voices?

I'm sure most of it is just my own poor hearing resolution but do you folks really thing the volume is OK?

1955, nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That's how it is in Arrowhead every time the Raiders come to town...

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    @getbent

you are in the clear, it was in South Dallas!!

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Way too f-ing loud.

I bring foamy's or similar especially because I like sitting in the second from last row on the aisle - usually a pretty loud area.

Aw hell, it's too loud everywhere.

getbent and william tele like this.

14. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I seriously want to know more about this story.

I always have a pair of earplugs on my keys. I use them for band rehearsal, attending gigs, loud bars/pubs and especially in the cinema. Films are far too loud and my hearing is far too important for me to put up with it.

JeffBlue and william tele like this.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I love our home theatre. The 90" screen and the 1500 watts of 7.1 surround sound means that I don't lose any of the benefits of sitting in a movie theatre. Our seats are more comfortable, there are no other people to bother us, and most importantly, I can pause the movie any time I need to go to the bathroom.
    The cost of the home theatre has long been offset by the savings of not going out to see a movie. The only drawback is having to wait until a movie comes out on Blu-Ray, but it's not really that big an issue.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    If people bug you that much, probably best just to stay at home. As @Mike Eskimo sagely notes, folks have been complaining about the decline of civilization since we've had civilization.

As counterpoint - we don't go to a ton of movies at the theater. But every time we do, I love it. I love the energy that an invested group brings to the experience. Although, @kelnet, I do feel 'ya on the pause thing. Why does every modern move feel like they need to deliver 150 minutes of "value"? I'm fine with the good old days of 75-90 minutes edits.

getbent likes this.

17. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

I guess that I am so far out of the loop, I didn't even know that you have to wait for blu-rays to come out any more. I have no idea where to rent blue-rays; the blu-ray vending machines seem to have went the way of the video rental store. Grocery stores used to have red blue ray rental boxes out front, I think that those are all gone.
    I never rented a movie from one of those "redbox (?)" movie rental boxes.
    I wonder if waiting for blu-ray to come out is like waiting for Amazon to offer a movie on rental. I don't look at any movie on Amazon video that isn't included free with Prime video. I used to wait for DVDs to come out in the video store; I got tired of waiting, so I stopped caring about when new movies came out. Now I have no idea when movies come out, and I don't care; I get a mild surprise when newer movies come out free with Prime Video.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Damn straight!!!!!All that "click-clickety-click" in the theater drives me nuts!!!!

OneHenry and Wildcard_35 like this.

19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I complain about this stuff too. All the time. People are inconsiderate.

But being quiet about it is how the quality of civilization declines. Society rules itself. And if the meek continue to be meek, the impertinent will rule. So if I'm offended, I should say something. If someone is ruining a movie I paid $15 to see, I should say something. If someone spit on my head at a ballgame, oh man, you better know they would know I was offended. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm learning.

The only way to maintain a civilized society is for the members of that society to demand civilized behavior from each other.

Blrfl, 1955, JeffBlue and 3 others like this.

20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    We still have a DVD / BluRay / BluRay-4K rental store in our town. They are thriving and doing a good business; I guess a lack of competition helps.

I do see the RedBox units here and there as well, but they seem to be disappearing.

It will be a sad day if the movie rental place goes out of business.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.