Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another bad Gibson photo (American Musical Supply)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Sep 20, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

2. Yep, it takes a keen eye to catch that one.. I have the step up from that guitar and really love it. Much better quality than my Tribute LP.. much better.

noah330 and studio1087 like this.

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I took a bunch of new pictures of my Gibsons the other month - took them out to a place I rent a studio space as it's a cool old building - toom them home to edit and I had pretty much exactly that problem, one of the guitars had a string that had popped of the saddle slot. Easily done when you're thinking about lighting and composition rather than playing the guitar.

Mind you they were only to stick on Instagram and I still didn't use them after spotting the mistake, so I'd like to think a retailer would have thought twice about using that one!

noah330 and studio1087 like this.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Stewmac Golden Age pickups for Strats show a neck pickup with a big glob of solder on the coil windings of the pickup in the catalog and on the website. Doesn't exactly instill confidence does it.

noah330 and jannodude like this.

5. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    Is this Gibson's take on a B-bender?

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

7. Mike Stone

Mike Stone TDPRI Member

May 26, 2016
    Gothenburg
    Does a string being popped off the nut slot have anything to do with the overall quality of the guitar? Sure it's a bit sloppy work by the photographer but can't see any correlation between a popped string and the quality of Gibsons guitars (although I have to admit Gibson are a bit shaky on the quality from time to time).

studio1087 and kidmo like this.

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    No, that's just how the kids are playing them these days!

aerhed likes this.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

My guess no one tuned the guitar up when they pulled it out of the box/case. They just hung it up and took the picture. But your right on Gibson's QC these day. I bought a new Firebird T earlier this year and the clear coat started lifting away 3 months later. I returned it and they refunded my money.

10. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    the op was not about quality but quality control :)

11. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    To be fair... these things are photographed for the retailer by photographers who are unlikely to be guitar players.

studio1087 likes this.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Every new Gibson (since 2016) gets photographed on the bench of the final quality inspector. You not only get the "human" signed QC card with all the inspection points but you get a photo (they have a good web cam over the work bench and a photo printer on the bench) of your guitar just before they slide it into a thick gig bag or a hard case. I have a couple of those photos. The guitars don't leave Nashville with strings out of the saddles.

I think that common sense would tell people that a professional photographer (who may have photographed 120 guitars in one day for a web site or catalog) made a boo boo while polishing or dusting or just hanging the guitar up for pictures. A string got knocked out of the saddle.

You are really reaching man.

[​IMG]

Drink a Miller Beer. Drink 6 of them. ;)

pondcaster likes this.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    No, this is their take on the B-Bender. These are awesome guitars. You can set them to bend b or g (Ron Glaser designed) and the maple body and coil taps make it sound a lot more F than G.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.

14. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    True, but that doesn't relieve Gibson of the responsibility for approving the photographs. I'd expect their marketing department to go over the photos they were going to use for little glitches like that before they paid for them.

xafinity likes this.

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Why would Gibson have any sort of control/approval over photos taken by a retailer?

If it was on their own website that would be a different story, like that $4800 Les Paul a few months back with a huge ding in it...

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-les-paul-standard-chipped-damaged-site/

16. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    How do you know its not a Gibson photo?
    Retailers use stock photos supplied by the manufacturer.
    There used to be a photo editor who approved those before release. Just like proofreaders in text publishing, they are long since extinct.

bluesky1963 likes this.

17. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Same guitar shows up on a Reverb review and on Amazon, I doubt Reverb and Amazon are stealing photos from AMS. That's a Gibson advertising photo.

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-offers-minor-tweaks-new-finishes-on-2018-model-lineup

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K67F7J/?tag=tdpri-20

18. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    My Mrs. used to do photos for AMS, unless I remember incorrectly the only guitars they photographed were what they called "serialized", i.e. upper end stuff.
    And not to to start anything but the QC from Gibson is pretty bad, the photographers had to send a lot of them back...

bluesky1963 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.