Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Annual safety picks.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I always seem to notice the automobile safety picks when they come out even if I’m not even close to buying a car.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

The + designation and consideration of the headlights looks good.

Thinking backwards through age, I recall my youthful days when GM was dominant, Subarus considered a novelty or joke and who heard of Korean cars then??? Now it’s interesting to see Koreans in the elite. I know Subaru’s been there for a while. I was pleased to see the Chevy Volt there knowing it’s an affordable first new car some young people I know have.

I was curious to see about the all LED and no fog light cars. My mother’s Acura has that but the lights are not rated in the test for her model. I remember reading that care makers are going away from fog lights because of the way they can aim and tune lighting with LEDs.

My biggest hope for safety is that we’ll see affordable autonomous driving features soon. Not just the basic stuff like EyeSight but fully autonomous driving for rather average cars.

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I thought it was about a new kind of picks.
    Since we are on the subject, do they still have the yellow turn signal lights that you can't see in bright sunlight?
    Remember when they moved away from the white light with a yellow plastic cover to something that looked like a yellow bulb and was all but invisible in daylight.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Darn few American cars made the list.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Is that why I never see people using signals? Nah...that can't be it....you can see them when a cop's around.

5. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    The field of turn signal energy gets depleted, so the bulbs don't light. Police cars recharge the field.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

When I drive by IIHS on US 29 North of Charlottesville, I think about what idiots they are.

We now have some cars that illuminate the area behind and around the (older) car they follow so heavily, there's a "light shadow" in front of the car in front of them and that driver must pull over and stop, otherwise he or she must drive blind. And some of the mindless people with these new lighting systems will not permit you to pull over - they're determined to follow someone and let that person be the "front door" while they play with their I-Phones. We call this phenomenon "back-lighting". They follow you from lane to lane, slow when you slow and speed up when you speed up.

Greater illumination can be good, often is good but people who are following someone else need to be able to dial their lighting system back - there's either no way or precious little of a way to do this, on these newer vehicles. You or I know we cannot barrage the car we happen to be behind with more light than he or she can produce without blinding the oncoming cars, but a lot of drivers don't get this.

If the IIHS and some manufacturers cannot get this right, how in the world can they devise a safe self driving vehicle? Yes, Virginia, driving is a full time job, and driving at night is serious stuff.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not following all that. Lighting has progressed in the past. Sealed beam, halogen bulbs, better lenses. Now LED. The third red light in back. We still have a 1930s car and I've had one from every decade since. If I get your complaint I guess I'm better about change or pick fights I could possibly win.

It is great that were in an era beyond horsepower and chrome selling cars. Superb to be where the safety features of a car are an important part of being competitive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.