Annual Hummingbird Report!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Things got rolling here early on. They usually don’t show up here until the middle of May. This year I had a couple “young men” the first week of May. I scrambled to get the feeders out, and then nothing. Little buggers!

Then, I was so busy with work this spring, that I broke my own rule. I left the same solution in the feeders for 2 weeks, give or take.

Duh! It takes 20 minutes to prepare and fill 4 feeders, if I don’t dawdle.

I have friends that try to attract hummingbirds, and they complain about the lack of action. I asked them, “How often do you change the sugar water?” The usual response is, “You mean it must be changed?”

Long of the short is that the solution must be consistently fresh, or they will go elsewhere.

I get ruby-throated hummingbirds here.

How about the rest of you?

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Mine hasn't shown up yet. Hope it didn't turn into some other critters dinner

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I was buzzed by one three weeks ago while working at the edge of the garage.
    The new puppy didn't know what to make of it.

JustStartingOut and Stringbanger like this.
  4. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    Mine show up in early May and are around for maybe 3 weeks, then they disappear. I've had one or two recently but really not many. They should be back soon though if they keep to previous years schedules. Silly birds.

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The crew blew quickly through the first batch of "formula".

But then they only sipped the second batch down 1/2 inches. Now, it probably needs to be replaced.

Normally they will go through the drink so fast, I needn't worry - plus the feeding spot only gets super early direct sun.

But meanwhile, there's just unlimited sources of food this year. It has been wet enough to keep everything growing like crazy - even though there was a 12 day "drought" my neighbor farmer was complaining about a few weeks back.

Anyway, if they're not eating I won't see them. I've got flycatchers and they're intolerant of other birds. The Hummingbirds need to want the formula pretty badly as the flycatchers will harass them.

+

Right now I imagine the Turkeys are eating all my (small) wild blueberries.

Stringbanger likes this.
  6. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I look forward to this report every year.

Pictures when available please.

CP.

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The migration has passed through, but we appear to have two mating pairs and their fledges hanging around

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Had a bunch on the feeder here early. Then the honeysuckle bloomed.

They'll be back on the feeders as the blooms subside.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I thought this was going to be Gibson content.:)

Stringbanger and merseymale like this.
  10. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We're staying @ a tiny cabin along Minnesota's North Shore for our 42nd anniversary. This below is a regular sight on our tiny porch. Flowers, like lilacs, that opened up weeks ago back home are just getting started here - further north and right next to Lake Superior's cold waters. Forgive poor photog skills.

EDIT: Apparently the tiny bandwidth here won't let me post a pic. I'll try again when we're closer to civilization.

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Keep my feeders stocked fresh and we've had a bajillion of the little lovelies around here since mid-May as usual.
    Love the little buggers!

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I saw one a few weeks ago across town at a friend's house. I still haven't put out my liquid feeder yet. I have to get on it.

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We usually always have them by now, but alas like the Falcon Heavy Launch, they have failed to materialize.

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

True story:

I was working as a troubleman here in Humboldt County. I was working with another troubleman and we were trying to diagnose an electrical issue with a commercial customer. The plan was that he was going to energize the business and I was in a bucket truck at the transformer bank.

My task was to monitor the transformer connections and see if any of them sparked, made any noise and if a change in voltage occurred by metering it with a voltmeter.

So there I was with a voltmeter, holding the probes to the very large copper conductors. I have to admit, I was a little bit jumpy because you never can predict exactly what will happen. Heck, for all I know, we could have a faulty transformer that could have a catastrophic failure that results in an explosion.

On cue, he energizes the customer's panel with full load and there is the dreaded "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" that usually precedes a catastrophic failure and I nearly jumped out of my skin but I realized it was coming from over my left shoulder. I catch a glimpse of a very large hummingbird momentarily stationary before he takes off to the west.

I was so relieved and laughing. We got the customer's power issue sorted and I had a great story to tell the other linemen over breakfast.

15. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Attendance is down this year. I have two feeders up but have only seen a couple of guests. I do sit out and read quite a bit underneath one of my feeders and they seemed to have gotten used to me. It's pretty cool,when they hover about three feet away and check me out.

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We had a few a couple weeks ago.
    Odd, they were flying in circles around a pine
    tree and then to the magnolia.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

We've had steady traffic at our dozen or so feeders for the past 6 weeks or so. I hope our traps prevent the huge yellow jacket problems we had late last summer.

Stringbanger and uriah1 like this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Had one come and buzz our flower pots on Sunday. I was on the patio enjoying an unusually nice and dry day. Unusual for this area, anyway. It looked a little dissatisfied with our selection, and flew off.

I went inside and said we should probably get a feeder. My wife was like, “Nah, attracts more wasps and bugs than hummingbirds”.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

No need for feeders here. They have been buzzing the carport full of red and orange tools plus buzzing the empty wood shed where an orange honeysuckle has taking hold. I was watching a rufous last week (I don't know my hummingbirds very well, but there are a couple different species here), when in the background was a rare sighting of a badger waddling by. It is a big rabbit year with baby cottontails and snowshoe hares bounding all around the house site at dawn. We are having a good old fashion cool wet spring, so everything is as green as it gets. Spotted a pregnant black bear wandering by about two weeks ago. I hear them signal each other at dusk, so there are a couple of them around right now. The whitetail fawns are being born, so lots of ravens returning and making quite a racket. Mountain lions soon to follow. The creek is still in run-off mode, so all together, it is quite noisy up on this mountain right now.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's one enjoying a little rain while at our feeders.

11529.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.