Andy Summers Tele by The Painted Player Guitar Co. In the UK??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I just watched the video from the fender custom Shop and never knew how the bridge plate and bridge pickup were mounted differently than a stock Tele. Don't go breaking your brass bridge plates to copy this feature.

CAUTION: Don't Watch this video unless you have an extra $7,000.00 laying around because you are going to want one of these.

I know I do.

Lost_N_Austin

LocoTex, Bruxist and Andy Summers like this.
  2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Haha!! Absolutely...Watched it yesterday..haha.

Bruxist likes this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

How much do they want for the FCS AS tele?

I read an interview with Stewart Copeland where he said that tele was his favourite guitar and waffled on buying one of the custom shop repros until they were sold out. He was waffling about spending 5,000 on one -- I think he was getting a helluva discount!

Andy Summers likes this.
  4. Andy Summers

Ha! I wish I could get one for 5 grand. I believe they were around 10 grand new. When I do see them for sale now I see from around 7500 to 9500. Not saying the ones at 9500 sell, but they are out there.

Bruxist likes this.
  5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

It is definitely on my "if I win the Powerball" list.

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I was surprised to see Stewart Flipping Copeland complain about 5k for an instrument, especially since i am sure he could write it off on his taxes!

Andy Summers likes this.
  7. Andy Summers

Haha! Absolutely!!! Or if I could sell all the gear I have now and just settle on one guitar..haha. Well, I’d keep my cheapie as a backup...always need a backup!

Bruxist likes this.
  8. Andy Summers

Haha!!! Exactly!! I’m sure he’s still makes some pretty decent Police money added with his current endeavors.

Bruxist likes this.
  9. Andy Summers

10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I have always loved "Demolition Man" because Andy really got to go to town (Sting was famous for hating guitar solos), so I already love this video for that.

But if you want to skip ahead to about 3:40, it goes into an interview of Andy by Jools Holland, complete with an impromptu slide blues jam on a Les Paul Junior (with Jools on piano).

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Andy Summers.jpg
    I went back to my book on Andy Summers to see if there was a better reference to where Andy's guitar came from. He describes the guitar as a "mangled old thing I bought in 1972 off a kid in L.A. for two hundred dollars". He further comments " Someone once said to me that like a woman, you get only one real guitar in your life. For me, it's this 1961 Tele." (Page 43)

What I would love to resolve is Who was this "kid" in LA in 1972 and where did he get it? Did he make the modifications? Does anyone know who was savvy enough to have created this iconic guitar or if there were any more created by that maker?

Lost_N_Austin

Andy Summers and Bruxist like this.
  12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Such a great book. I loved the bit about the Les Paul.

Think about having an onboard pre-amp in 1972. That is crazy. Wonder how much it cost?

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

They were around $10K new but about 8 years ago or so a couple of retailers were dumping them for $4k. I bought one and held onto it for a while. I loved the way it played and sounded but the boost toggle switch was positioned such that I hit it at least 4 or 5 times per rehearsal. As much as I wanted to gig with it, I didn't want this happening and I really didn't want to tape it securely. So I sold it and miss it much...

[​IMG]

Bruxist likes this.
  14. Andy Summers

4K?? Wow! I’ve never seen one that cheap.

And I didn’t think about your point regarding the boost switch. Looking at it, I KNOW I would be hitting it all the time too. I can’t even play a normal configured Strat because of the placement of the volume knob, so I know I’d be knocking that switch constantly...haha

Sorry ya miss it though!

Bruxist likes this.
  15. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Man that is beautiful.

I always thought that was a bad placement for the switch. It would be for me at least.

Nowadays you can probably get a volume control with an off switch on zero.

Andy Summers likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah a switch wouldn't work for me either. Seems a nuts place to put it.

Andy Summers and Bruxist like this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's mine.... not an Andy Summers, but as close as I'll get. A Fender Roadworn Taxman FSR. Nitro finished ash body, relic’d. Quite a clear grain pattern. Maple neck is chunky soft V , jumbo frets, de-glossed, 9.5 radius. Bridge pickup is an aged Fender ‘51 Nocaster, Neck is an aged Seymour Duncan '59 which is disconnected from the tone pot and is nice and bright and clear. Traditional 3 way switching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Stunning!

rze99 and Andy Summers like this.
  19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I could be mistaken , not an unusual outcome in the 50/50 world of wadda yuh think...
    BUT ....When dropping by oh, let's say,:rolleyes: Warmoth a custom neck/body pre drilled ready for assembly, alder body, birdseye maple laminate top, no binding, mary kay white, $445.00, black pickguard, $470.00, gotoh standard tele bridge, $514.00
    vintage neck, finish vintage satin nitro $267.00

267.00 in stock neck w/ finish

$781.00 neck and body sans pick ups tuners and other hardware.

subtract finishing (mary kay white and vintage satin nitro) 781.00

$481.00 neck, body bridge pickguard no finish. 3000.00 sub 481.00 = $ 2,519.00
    rough ballpark est. , just for fun

Bruxist likes this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I was thinking more:

Tonebomb pine body $80 shipped
    Allparts TMO-FAT neck $110 shipped
    Bottle of Tru-Oil $10-15 shipped
    Wilkinson bridge $25 shipped
    Cavalier or Sunday Handwound Pickup set - $135-145 shipped (Though Wilde Keystones, Bootstraps, most Fender, GFS and a number of other brands can be had for less)
    Loaded control plate with 4-way switch - $65
    Vintage style tuners - $20
    Neck plate, Electrosocket jack/wire, pick guard and other miscellaneous parts/hardware - $50
    Having a local shop wire everything up for you - $100 (or spend the same amount on soldering equipment and never pay for a wiring job again)
    Having a local shop cut a nut for you and do a setup - $100 or less
    A few hours of time over the course of a week to do a finish

Total: $710 (using the higher amounts where ranges exist)

You'll save even more if you're good at finding deals or willing to use secondhand parts or can do your own assembly/nut cutting/wiring/setup. Most of it is pretty simple, def. rocket science. If a knucklehead like me can learn this stuff...anyone can. The only thing I haven't mastered yet is nut and fret work.

If you're not into finishing work, you can buy a pre-finished body on eBay and a pre-finished fender neck for a few hundred dollars more. Still right around a grand. Again, MUCH less if you can find deals or are willing to go used. Either way, still well under a grand. And you'll have a guitar built to your specs (neck shape, body wood, hardware, pickups, switching, etc.) ...effectively a custom shop instrument...for half to a quarter the price. I've built 4 teles this way...but I confess, it's made me a lousy customer down at Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Of course, as always, YMMV...

Bruxist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.