Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Andre's CNC

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by BluesBlooded, May 13, 2015.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Brilliant! :cool::cool::p:p

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    I am still out in BC for another week or I would get the nephew to whip one up on the lathe for you.:oops:

BluesBlooded and nickhofen like this.
  3. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Very kind of you Rich. The level of mutual aid in this forum is outstanding. Thanks

I think I'll be able to make one today.

4. BluesBlooded

Drilled the hole in the shaft, it started centered but exited a bit off centered.

Could not reduce the size of the 3/4 inch rod on my mini lathe, it will take forever with a file.

And last, my M5x0.8 tap is all worn out. So my efforts got cut short.

On the bright side, Nathan from finelineautomation got back to me. I'll order two and will call it a day!:)

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Just got back home from a long weekend away , glad to see there is light at the end of the tunnel with the ghost in your machine Andre :)

BluesBlooded likes this.
  6. BluesBlooded

Thanks Herb, I'm confident the ghost have left the building.:D

Even if the bearing of the router has been replaced, I feel it's getting hotter than it use to be.

Now that everything seems to be back to normal, I'm seriously looking at upgrades.

2.2kw ER20 Water cooled spindles are making me drool. Theses comes with challenges as well since I'll have to wire the garage for 220v and my ceilings in the basement are finished. But I think it's well worth the effort.

I've started a fund raising campaign:eek: to get this spindle by year end:)

I also want to buy the UC100 parallel port converter to USB and the Kent CNC dust shoe. I did not realized that water cooled spindle did not blow air all over the place. Making dust collection easier.

Furthermore, the controlled dust and the noise level of the spindle being less makes my booth useless which will help make my shop feel bigger. The huge box makes it feel cramped.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. BluesBlooded

And forgot to show a pic, but I made the box for my domino set with the cnc and it was a breeze.

It is showcased on my Clint Walker inspired coffee table.

IMG_1000.JPG

8. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Andre there are Spindles that works at 110volts ,so you do not have to modify your workshop!
    The good thing as you mention with water cooled spindles is the silent you enjoy when the spindle is spinning even at high rpm.
    Here a measurement I took with my spindle at full rpm!
    26996053_2025356464412342_1376644033_n.png

Deneb and BluesBlooded like this.
  9. BluesBlooded

That sounds good. I'm mean low, which is good.:)

I remember you mentioned that it was available for 110v.

Keep in mind I know nothing of how electricity work, but if I'm right as per Ohm's law

If I have a 2.2kw that runs on 220v it will draw 10amps

The same logic would dictate that on 110v, it would draw 20amps.

My garage circuit are 15amps. Unless I go with a smaller spindle, say 1.5KW, I'd be Right at the top with almost 14amps. But then I'd be stock with ER11 or ER16 collets which means no more use of my 1/2 router bits.

So it's either I bring a new 12/2 wire to put a 20amp 110v circuit or 12/2 wire to put a 20amp 220v circuit.

One way or the other, I have to bring a new cable from the electrical box to the garage. Might as well put a 220v.

Fortunately, I have recessed lighting that I will be able to remove to help pass the wire through.

Deneb and nickhofen like this.
  10. BluesBlooded

Received my new shaft adapters from Nate. Will replace the bent one when I receive my new bearings.

47.PNG

11. BluesBlooded

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a few upgrades,

First a 2.2KW 220v spindle
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078J5CXP3...olid=1Q8ZF7ILRXBBF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've brought some wires for a 220v circuit in the garage. Need to wire it up.

I will also upgrade my interface from the actual parallel port to Ethernet with the UC300ETH-5LPT

http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=790

Finally I will put a Kent Dust shoe

https://www.kentcnc.net/nc/standard-split-shoe-standard-dust-shoe

I'm wondering if I should go with a 4in or 2.5in dust collector connector. I'm leaning towards 2.5 just to have a smaller footprint to move around.

What are your thoughts?

Also wondering if I should keep the 3in brush or replace with the 2in brush size?

If I remember well Herb @adirondak5 use the Kent dust shoe. Maybe you or anyone else can chime in.

nickhofen and Blue Bill like this.
  12. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Great upgrades Andre ! The Kent dust shoe is fantastic , best upgrade I've done so far . I would highly recommend you go with 4" connection for you dust collector to CNC , volume is what you want , when I went from 2.5" to 4" on mine the difference was quite astounding . I use a 3" brush with my Kent most of the time , but I do have the 2" brush head also , I use that one with the smaller short bits .

BluesBlooded likes this.
  13. BluesBlooded

Thanks Herb, that's the advice I was looking for.

4in dust port and 3in brush head it will be. If I can I may add the 2in brush size at the same time. Otherwise I'll get it at a later moment.

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I have my first dust shoe on the x carve. It's a 2.5 hose into the shopvac. It seems to do OK. I think a 4" hose would be in the way but wouldn't know for sure until I tried it.

BluesBlooded likes this.
  15. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Andre, sounds like some nice upgrades / additions. Any reason you are going with the UC300 instead of the UC100? (or even the UC400) since you already have gecko g540 and really just are trying to eliminate using the printer port on the computer. The 300 seems like overkill and Perhaps it is more suited to using separate stepper drivers instead.of the g540. Though maybe I am way off base here.
    The other thing you may want to consider is switching over from mach3 to the uccnc software. From everything I have read over at cnczone about it, it sounds like it has come a long way and runs smoother than mach3. I plan on switching over at some point.

BluesBlooded likes this.
  16. BluesBlooded

Marty, I do feel that the 4in hose will be cumbersome compared to the 2.5. But since Herb as tried both and he vouches for the 4in, I'll go this way. I will have to figure out a way to hook the hose so it follows the spindle. Somehow attached to an articulated arm or the ceiling. I will have to study that.

Robert, my initial upgrade was going to be the UC100 recommended by Marty. Then I had a discussion with @nickhofen where he suggested that I look into the UC300 instead. His argument collected from build thread he studied suggested the Ethernet is more reliable than USB. That makes sense to me since the ethernet port is dedicated instead of the shared USB bus.

CNCnutz is using Mach3, Gecko G540 and the UC300 successfully in this video, so I know that it will work with my setup.

As for the UC400 vs UC300, I had the discussion with Nick and he said that he read that there was not as much love for the UC400 over the UC300 which has more inputs and standby port. He may chime in more info.

The UC300 may be overkill for my need, but the price difference between the UC100 and UC300 seems like I may find it useful someday, plus I have more reliability with the ethernet port.

As for UCCNC software, I will look into it at one point. I will try to make it work with mach3 for the time being then see the advantages of upgrading to UCCNC.

So many things to look into. My head is spinning.

GunsOfBrixton and guitarbuilder like this.
  17. nickhofen

This is a copy paste from another forum.
    "The biggest differences are in the number of inputs/outputs. The UC400ETH has 2 standard parallel ports (LPT type) while the UC300ETH has 2 LPT type and 3 DB25 with mostly inputs and additionally even 2 analog inputs and 2 outputs, so it is pretty well equipped and has more in/outputs than I'll ever need. The UC400ETH does not have any analog I/O at all."
    From my little experience from my previous machine,it is better to have outputs you do not use than to need even one more and not have it.
    Imagine that :in the future you decide to mount and control a laser head !!! In my opinion CNC are dynamic machines , you can upgrade it to a way that you can not imagine today, a new axis ,a laser head,zero probe etc....
    Cncnutz (Peter ) is a guy that I trust his opinion ,he build a CNC based on someone's else plans and upgrade it to space level.
    He is a guy that he realy like the cncing,he is very informative and a guy that knows what he is doing, having the same setup like yours is a big advance for you.
    About UCCNC is my next step,much smoother than Mach3 !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  18. BluesBlooded

Thanks Nick for your input.

19. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Well now I know what I will be using when I upgrade. The UC300ETH-LPT5 More is better!

BluesBlooded likes this.
  20. nickhofen

Hmm that sounds like a commercial!:D

BluesBlooded and GunsOfBrixton like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.