Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Andre's CNC

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by BluesBlooded, May 13, 2015.

1. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

This afternoon, made a Domino set for my Son in law.

Tomorrow I'll make a box for it.

35.PNG

36.PNG

37.PNG

38.PNG

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    LOL, same here, Rog. I saw that UC100 thing, looks like a plug to me, but it costs $100 ??:eek: And then Marty says, you may have to download some software to go with it? :eek::eek::eek:. Software? For a plug? And what does this plug plug into? Amazon has a picture of yet another plug with it that "you might be interested in". :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Man, this stuff is getting waaaay outta my league.

RogerC and BluesBlooded like this.

3. BluesBlooded

Rick, don't worry with the plugging of stuff, if it does not work, at least, you have the option to remelt the CNC and do something else with it:rolleyes:

R. Stratenstein likes this.

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Andre, Nate at finelineautomation can be hard to get ahold of. But that price is really good for a shaft adapter. I couldn't even locate any other 1/2" shaft coupled with a 1/2" bore.
    I'll look to see if I have an extra one but I doubt it.

BluesBlooded likes this.

5. BluesBlooded

Thanks Robert, I left Nate a message on his voice mail and send another email. I don't have more options but to wait. But of course, if you have a spare one that you don't need, I would buy it from you.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Is there any way to rig up something with a regular coupler and a piece of steel rod? It would seem the action of the coupler would take care of any deviation.

7. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I had that same thought Marty but the cost of a coupler seemed to be at least twice what the adapter Andre listed costs. But in a pinch he could go that route.
    Like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XHCMU8/?tag=tdpri-20

8. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I check at Aliexpress,they have flex coupling at a better price but nothing with 1/2 male and 1/2 female. :(

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Is the reasoning for that style coupler to eliminate a turned end on the lead screw?

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There are no images for a male/female type coupler that I could see on google either.

nickhofen likes this.

11. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Andre is there a possibility to take a coupler with 1/2 bore and connect a piece of a rod to one end?

12. BluesBlooded

That was a solution I was also looking at.

Robert, I found the same thing but would rather have the finelineautomation adapter for half the price.

I may even make my own with some kind of pipe that has a 0.5in ID.

Thanks Nick for checking, I did also check them and did not find any.

At the time it was suggested by Robert. My first setup was to hold the lead screw with the flexible coupler, but Robert pointed out to me that it that I would have a better mating surface with the shaft adapter

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/andres-cnc.562268/page-9#post-6487027

They seem to be rare, don't know why

That is what Marty suggested and think it will be my only way out,

I found what I was looking in an industrial store, but it was around 70$

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I wonder if you can get a piece of 1" aluminum rod and drill it out on a drill press? Tap the threads and insert the steel? At least it would be a temp fix until you can get the real replacement. I made my own couplers out of 1/2" aluminum on my first cnc build and they worked fine.

BluesBlooded likes this.

14. BluesBlooded

That sounds like a good plan.

I will check locally next week

15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well, Andre, it looks to me like you have all the justification you need for a metal lathe and mill. Then you can make any components you need and not have to pay outrageous prices or wait for them! :D:D:cool:

RogerC, sergiomajluf and BluesBlooded like this.

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You need a local friend with a metal lathe...LOL.

BluesBlooded likes this.

17. BluesBlooded

Rick, do not start:)

That is more like it:D

R. Stratenstein likes this.

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Just for my information, how true does that adapter run when installed? In other words, how much runout can you stand in it before it adversely affects performance?

19. BluesBlooded

I dont know, at this time I would say it is not true by at least a sixteen of an inch. being stuck in a bearing does not help.

I still believe i do not need the bearing at that end to support the screw. my problem is that my stop collar is the exact same size as my bearing hole in the plate so i cannot stop it from entering the bearing cavitiy.

but that makes me think i could make a thinner plate I could screw over the original one to cover the bearing cavity with a hole larger than shaft with room to play but small enough so the contact of the collar would be on the plate. That would prevent movement of the axis and prevent the shaft to bind in the bearing

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Would the motor be supporting all that weight without the extra bearing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.