Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Andre's CNC

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by BluesBlooded, May 13, 2015.

1. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I've decided to jump into the wagon and build my CNC.

I decided to make a design inspired by Jason Beam's CNC which I believe is inspired by Joe 2006 CNC.

This is my plan. 2'x4' footprint. I should have a cutting area of 20"x36"

[​IMG]

Today I received most of my parts

[​IMG]

I think I went a bit overboard with the size of the aluminum I purchased.

[​IMG]

These beams are huge. Specially the one that I will use for the X beam. 7/16" back wall. And heavy too. I hope the motors can move that thing

Purchased the aluminum from onlinemetals.com. Great people and fast service.

Got the Gecko G540 drive kit including the 320oz low inductance 3/8 shaft motors, 48v power supply. Bought from CNCRouterParts.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got my McMaster order of acme 5 start leadscrew and T-Slot tracks

[​IMG]

Still have to wait for the linear bearing from the far east.

So I know what I will do for the remaining of the spring/summer. I will assemble all of this. I'm overwhelmed by the task at hand, so I will take it slowly and think every step many times over before proceeding.

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Looking forward to the progress!

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Cool ! Looking forward to the build Andre

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Finally pulled the trigger! Will be following with great interest!

5. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Let the games begin!

Taking your time will be the way to go. You are going to want to be as precise as you can on all the drilling / cutting. That will go a long way towards producing a top notch machine. Which I am sure you will!

That x beam looks awesome. No such thing as going overboard. 2 motors moving the gantry shouldn't be a problem.

The G540 is nice. Pretty easy to set up and use. If you need some good hookup wire / control wire just let me know. I have 400+ feet of 18 gauge , 4 conductor shielded wire. It is really good for hooking up limit switches etc..

6. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Woohoo! Andre's CNC is under way!

Those extrusions look super strong! You're going to end up with a sturdy machine!

How'd you get McMaster to ship to a foreign country?

7. BluesBlooded

Thanks you guys, your support means a lot to me.

I'll have plenty questions to ask along the way, so stay tune.

Robert, I'll send you a PM today.

Brian, I have the advantage of living 35 minutes away from the border, I have McMaster ship to a broker in the US and import the stuff myself.

I always get inquisitive looks from the border officer. It seems that buying CNC parts has to be related to a business. Not so many regular people build this as a hobby.

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    This will be a pretty sweet machine, I'm sure. Seeing what you do with wood, I can only imagine the care and precision you'll get from something more stable.

9. Maxbra

Maxbra Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2014
    Sweden
    I will follow with much interest as well, wish you all luck with the build.

10. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    This will be great.All of Andre 's project are so detailed that even I can follow.Always lots of pictures

11. BluesBlooded

Thank you guys for the vote of confidence. Yes there will be plenty of pictures...

12. BluesBlooded

BB King passed away today and he is he the bluesman who turned me to blues many years ago. Saw him live in Montreal in 2001 when he was around 75 years old. That was one of the best show I've seen.

I've always wanted a Lucille guitar.

[​IMG]

This is why I wanted to build this CNC in the first place. After I get to know how to work with this new tool, I will make my own version of Lucille with BB King inlayed on the fretboard. This will push my limits in so many ways but will be so much fun if I succeed.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  13. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Yeah I heard that about BB, that's too bad.

14. BluesBlooded

1st order of business, squaring the x Beam. In my mind, this is the most crucial part.

The cut from the provider is far from square

[​IMG]

Roughly brought it closer to square on the ROSS

[​IMG]

Then I went the old fashion way. I'm using my shooting board with my granite block

Made sure it was still square

[​IMG]

Marked the end

[​IMG]

And started moving that 40lbs block

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours of sanding with plenty of breaks to rest my sore shoulder, this is where I'm at.

[​IMG]

Still about .005 to remove. Next weekend

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Yikes....that's a lot of work. The ROSSing wasn't good enough?

16. BluesBlooded

Not even close. It seems I was always pushing more on one side than the other and the surface was not flat either. But the Ross got me close enough. Now I will buy some coarser sand paper that will speed up things and save my shoulder. What I have on the granite block is 320, so it's long.

17. buze

buze Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Berks & Powys, UK
    OMG 2 hours?? I remember having to do mine with a (big) file and it took me a while, but 2 hours, ouch!

Now thats were a CNC would be handy tho, I now square stuff using the cnc :)

Oh, wait :)

18. BluesBlooded

Yeah wait ;)

I bought 120 grit adhesive sand paper. Should go faster next weekend.

Received my linear rail today :D

[​IMG]

19. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Cool , looks like fully supported rails

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've got some of those rails. They are pretty decent. I'd like to do something with them someday... probably won't happen though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.