Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

And Your Bird Can Sing - w/ Vocals now

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by 64Strat, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

The one that I am 'creeping' up on is the word 'And' at 0:25, the start of the phrase - And your bird is green. I moved it today but apparently not quite enough to eliminate the rushed feeling in that spot. When I look at the drum tracks and the bass, the vocals are really close to being on the beat. There are two things I'm trying to avoid... 1) deforming the vocals 2) sounding mechanically, robotically perfect.

on the reverb, I'm using Perfect Space, a convolution reverb.... and on the vocals, I'm using it very sparsely on the vocals in this song so far.
    Here's a quick youtube overview of it, if you are interested....
    Perfect Space overview
    If I recall correctly, the predelay on the setting I have is about 1.6 mSec. I am using a natural, real Hall in a Near X-Y configuration.

I'm glad to know you thought the claps & tambo were tasteful! The more I do this, the more I realize to step lightly.

Speaking of step.... This song does a good job of putting a spring in my step. or at least what I remember a step to be. :D

2. 64Strat

Today's studio mixing session included getting the rhythm guitar panning sorted out to the left and level set about 1dB lower. I panned the lead guitar harder to the right and down 1dB also. Worked on getting the handclaps and tambourine settled in better. I also worked more on the vocal push issue and it seems to be better and lowered all the vocals about 2dB. Finally, I lowered the bass 1dB also. So, the only instrument that stayed at the same level was the drum kit.

To my ear, this mix sounds MUCH better. Can I ask you one more time to lend me your ear on this to critique it again for mix, pan and levels?

Thanks so much!

And Your Bird Can Sing v.05

3. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity

It's cooking down into some pretty good soup. One thought — if you brought the vocals down 2 dB, it wouldn't hurt to bring the bass down one more dB ... it sounds bigger now with the vocals back.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Funny - all these years, I though the line was "you say you've seen certain wonders"-LOL I thought the english accent cobined with the singing style just made it sound like "seven".

6. 64Strat

At the previous level I had the handclaps at, several people thought they might be digital clicks.... Sooooo, to create no doubt about what they really are, I brought the handclaps much more forward in the mix now.

Secondly, I nudged the drums up a little more in the mix too.

So, if you're not sick of it yet... here is v.06 :rolleyes:
    And Your Bird Can Sing v.06

7. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity

The claps still aren't intrusive ... I like where the snare sits now, but wondered if it might be a little hot to be period-authentic ... ???

8. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

I enjoyed that! Great stuff...

9. 64Strat

many thanks Sooper! Glad you enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun putting that one together.

Just as an aside, my close friend and the singer you hear on all these tunes we are doing together, just did a private audition two days ago for the tv show, The Voice. He got recommended to them from a big name talent promoter in NYC. If he makes it through the early screening, that could be some good exposure for him. Too early to tell what the outcome is going to be yet.

We also have started recording another Beatles song now.... The Word - from Rubber Soul.

10. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

That's pretty darn good!

11. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Hey 64,

Just had a listen....WoW! That sounds super! Nice job man!

Hope the legs coming along!

KC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.