Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

"And for $10.00 more, you can have..." -- Peavey Studio Pro 110 Bargain

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stillrockin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Peavey Studio Pro 110-- Picked up last weekend for $60.00 (Just $10.00 more than I paid for the little Rage 158 a few months ago). I've known about the Peavey Envoy 110 (45 watts?) but the Studio Pro 110 is new to me.

-- 65 watts RMS

-- Nice sounding 10" speaker (unbranded, no specs, but, the ceramic magnet seems oversized for a 10")

-- Channel-switchable via selector button or a remote footswitch... nice!

-- Rhythm and lead channels, each, have their own 3-band EQs! Yay!

-- Spring Reverb

-- Headphone Out

-- Effects Loop

-- 18" wide x 15" tall x10" deep. Don't know the weight of the amp (I would call it 'grab & go' weight (unless you've got back problems)).

IMO, Peavey gear is where the bargains are!

2 Peaveys 2.jpg

Jakedog, Jim Dep and Staypuft1652 like this.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Not around here! I hear about all the great deals, but haven't seen any.

One pawn shop had a VERY roadworn Bandit for almost $300! I've seen the little Rages for close to $100 in just Ok condition.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    A few years ago I picked up a Peavey Backstage Plus from the '80's off ebay. $20.00 + shipping. It was being sold by an antique dealer who must have gotten it at an estate sale or something. I cleaned it up and use it all the time. It's a great little amp. Kind of a solid state Princeton Reverb.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    They seem to be one of the less common PV's. I believe they were unique to the Teal Stripe era (as were several other SP's) It's a nice compact gigable amp, that tends to fly under the radar, I believe due to the 10 and the name; people assume its a 10 watt amp w/ a 10" speaker for "studio" use & don't plug in. I paid $20 or so for one from GC 5-6 years ago, that was very dirty, and had intermittent sound. After cleaning it up, & retentioning the various jacks, it played fine. To this day the only one I have laid hands on.

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Peavey amps can be all over the place. A year ago i was in the market for a Bandit. There were 3 listed, 2 Silverstripes for $299 and $159, and a Redstripe for $90. Guess which one I bought!

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Wow! Congrats! :D I would love to have another Peavey Studio Pro 110 teal stripe! About a half dozen years ago, my son was in need of an amp. I had a number of Peaveys around the house (Bandits, Envoy 110s), including a Studio Pro 110. I offered him his choice of the amps I had at the time, and he chose the Studio Pro. I’ve look for another one since, but haven’t come across one. I used to get visitation rights whenever I went over to his house, but he doesn’t live in my town anymore, so it’s been a while.

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, that sounds like here. About a decade ago, I was finding some decent deals on ebay and in local pawn shops. Now everybody's pricing Peaveys as though they're brand new and under warranty instead of what they are, 15-25+ year old used amps.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

9. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    But still working "like new" when well taken care of. "After cleaning it up, & retentioning the various jacks" as said in a post above, is all my old Peaveys needed. But frankly I spent a lot more time on cleaning the Tolex and hardware than the electronic.

I have a fair range of them, from the '70s up to the Teal Stripe era. I had a few Silver Stripe that have been sold to friends in need of a good back-up amp.

All Tube : Encore, Prowler*.
    Solid State : Pacer, Bandit, Bandit 65, Bandit 112, Special 112, Special 130, Stereo Chorus 400*, Chorus 212, Audition*.
    Hybrid : Classic 4 x 10", Artist, MX.

Many still have their original speakers, Eminence, Scorpion, Scorpion Plus, Scorpion Ultra, Black Widow.
    Some had upgraded replacement done prior to acquisition such as Celestion G12T, JBL D120F, Eminence Red Coat Governor, Fane.

*: Cut down to an head format by previous owners.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Agreed. But when buying used, from a pawn shop or especially online like ebay or something, the "well taken care of" part just can't be taken as a given. So when I'm looking for a used Peavey American made red stripe Bandit or Studio Pro or Envoy, I'm looking at about a 15 year old amp. When they're priced close to what a Chinese Bandit sells for new and under warranty, it just bugs me. I won't bid on it, and it's frustrating that the prices are being driven up. A few years ago I bought an American made red stripe Envoy 110 in a local store, got to test drive it before I pulled the trigger. Paid $100 for it, and was happy to do so. My kid brother has it now, but it's still going strong.

I too have had a few Peavey amps pass through my hands: Bandit 65, Bandit 75, Studio Pro 110, Studio Pro 112 silver stripe, and several Envoy 110s (teal stripe, silver stripe, red stripe). They were all stock.

11. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I gave away 2 of those rage 158s and a special 212 years ago. The rage 158s were nice for practice and the special 212 could've been used as an anchor on the titanic. Needless to say, had I known the rages were worth $50 a pop I would have kept them.

12. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    I have an old Peavey PA300 6 channel powered mixer I bought years ago for a hundred bucks , still sounds great

13. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    I'm with you on this point. I did not follow their value recently since I considered having enough if not too much. All mine were acquired around 8 to 10 years ago.
    I never paid more than $150 ( Can. ) for the "big" ones. A lot less for the "small" ones.
    One exception is the Encore which, 3 years ago, was part of a trade and valued at $200 Can. But since it had all new tubes that tested very good and the upgraded speaker was something I was looking for, I still consider I made a good deal.

What I wanted to underline is the ruggedness and reliability of USA made Peavey amps (as well as many other Made in USA brands).
    That is what I believe makes the prices going up now. Before I acquired my first Peavey, a Bandit 112 Teal (with an old Fane speaker which was my real interest), I was swearing only by tube driven amps made by more prestigious leading brands. I was very surprised by what this peculiar combination was delivering.

A friend of mine is a pro amp/speaker tech and a guitarist who gigged a lot since the early '70s. Since I'm retired I hang around regularly in his shop. I see how most actual and recent SS amps are poorly built and not designed to be repaired as the old ones were. Or the repair cost (labour fees) being too high to worth it. Clients always opted for getting something new or getting an old refurbished... Peavey he offered for a decent price.

I think he contributed a bit in spreading the word about the quality and reliability of these old but simple amps in our circle as much as this forum did for the rest of the music world.

14. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I blame Shane from the "In the Blues" YouTube channel for the inflated prices.

Treynor likes this.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Yes Peavey gear is where some great deals are at....shhhhhh....check out their Leakesville, MS made guitars from the late 90s....Limiteds and especially the Firenza.....you can pick up Firenzas for almost nothing and they kill Gibbys......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.