Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Anchorage, Alaska - what's it like up there?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Any TDP members living in Anchorage?

My missus and I will be visiting there around the middle of September, to atend the birth of our first grandchild. Our son lives there (since last December) and works at a restaurant/brew-pub called 49th State Brewing Company.

I wonder if there are any nice music clubs, or guitar shops that I might visit. Or any interesting shopping areas that might please my wife. Or anything else that might be worth seeing while we are there.

Of course I can find lots of suggestions with Google or Trip Advisor, I know... but I thought I'd ask here first.

2. GEISHAII

GEISHAII TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Dear Jon,
    I know nothing about Anchorage, but I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to you after such a long time not being in contact.
    I hope you are doing well.
    Gerrit.

3. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Gerrit it's nice to hear from you! I am trying to figure out how to send u yoa personal message on this 'new' forum...

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. GEISHAII

GEISHAII TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Hi Jon,
    I will send you mine this evening.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    My first and only grandchild was born in Anchorage in January of this year. Since I live in Missouri, this highly inconvenient! The other grandparents live in Hull UK, so we are roughly equidistant.

Mammoth Music and Petr's Violin Shop are two of the larger music instrument stores there and both are interesting but not extraordinary.

I didn't partake in the nightlife, but did find a lot a good food and nice people. It is a multi-ethnic place, which appeals to me.

I have visited Anchorage in October and in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was lucky to get to fly around the area in a small plane, which made it easy to see the fabulous mountains, glaciers and some wildlife.

The streetwalkers of Anchorage , as shown in this photo, are brazen. Notice the police car at the intersection

IMG_0210.JPG

william tele likes this.

7. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    sounds good so far! I don't know if I will see any night-life either, we'll only be there a week or so.

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I went there about 8 years ago with my son (he was 13) fishing. We did two fly-outs saw some country. This is how I describe it ..................you can't you just have to see it, it's just overwhealming scenic beauty. As for the fishing all the shows where there catching one fish after another times 10. I would consider doing a fly-out even if you don't fish just to see the real Alaska.

Matt G and Paul in Colorado like this.

9. warrent

warrent TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The only place I have been where you'll get a traffic jam because a moose is munching on a tree. If you have time and fish the 3 hour drive through the Kenai Peninsula is worth it. When I lived there this was the main music venue :http://www.koots.com/ but that was 25 years ago. Beautiful part of the world Have fun

10. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    sounds like I better buy a fishing rod and a Cessna PDQ

11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I would say ask your son, he lives there!

12. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    well yeah, of course! but he's working long hours and his interests are not necessarily the same as mine. I just thought I'd see what others might have to say. It never hurts to gather information from a variety of sources.

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I didn't mean anything by my comment, hope you didn't take it wrong. It just sounded like he would be a more logical choice because he lives there than someone, like me, who just visited Anchorage. I was only there 2 days, so I can't offer any advice.
    Hope your trip goes well and it's full of excitement, especially the new grandchild part!!

14. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    As @SacDAve said, there are no words to describe the beauty of Alaska.

With a car, there are a few relatively easy day trips from Anchorage. One would be down to Kenai Peninsula, as mentioned. The other two might require some checking, to see if the services are available in September. The drive to Seward is amazing in itself, but once you get there you can get on a boat and go up into the fjords and see whales and calving glaciers among spectacular scenery. Going north out of Anchorage, you can go up to Talkeetna and get on a plane to fly around Denali, landing on a glacier. Breathtaking...

Anchorage is a very cool town, good restaurants and shopping. But the real deal is getting away from the city. Actually the real deal for you is the birth of your grandchild; congrats in advance, and best wishes for your family.

Harry Styron likes this.

15. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    no, I didn't mean to sound like anything negative. I'm just enjoying this opportunity to chat with you and other TDP'ers about a trip to Alaska. Your reply did make me laugh, 'cuz I thought the same thing myself before I re-thought it, and realized that I might want to get some second-opinion third-party independent-counsel! Last time we visited my son - in Portland - I told him "just make sure there's a few cold beers in the fridge, that's all I ask". And did he have some cold beers in the fridge when we got there? NO - he did NOT!

bullfrogblues likes this.

16. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Alaska is awesome! If you're an outdoors activity person. I hunt and fish and love it up there.

By the way, I did the Cessna thing. Here I'm flying a 172RG from Merrill Field, to Mt. McKinley in the Denali range.

Flying and photographing multitask...
    [​IMG]

Mt. McKinley
    [​IMG]

Nice Rainbows out towards Bristol Bay and the rivers that feed into it.
    [​IMG]

bacongrease, dkmw, uriah1 and 3 others like this.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I've spent alot of time in Alaska. Unfortunately I was there to make money so I didn't really see the sites.
    Did get to a museum in Anchorage once that was pretty interesting, no idea the name of it now.
    You can point a camera in any direction and get a pretty picture. That's pretty cool !

18. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Anchorage by Michelle Shocked.

Tried to find it on Youtube, but it appears missing.

Always wondered about places that inspire songs.

CP

elihu likes this.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Well, I flew into Anchorage airport on my way to a two week stay in Homer, Alaska. That was the extent of my experience in Anchorage. They had a giant stuffed grizzly bear at the airport. Alaska was really gorgeous though, and as my wife likes to point out, a bit dangerous for her. Where we stayed, we had to constantly be on the lookout for bears, and we knew people who came home to find bears in their houses or on their front porch. Still, in some ways Alaska was the most exotic place I'd visited. Really different.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Thanks for sharing people from a "cold" South Australia where it rarely snows. I'd love to go fishing in Alaska, but coming from the climate I come from, I wouldn't last a week ( we get
    up to well over 100F here). The scenery looks beautiful- natural. Ms. Palin is pleasing on the eye but I don't know about her beliefs.o_O

21. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Our plans are to go up in a motorhome in six years and just stay all summer. A retirement gift to ourselves.

bullfrogblues likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.