Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Analog or Digital Delay?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 16, 2018.

Analog or Digital Delay?

1. Analog

2. Digital

3. Analogital (I used Both)

4. Reverb Only

5. Dry as the Desert

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JDB2

JDB2 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I use delay in front of a crunchy > distorted amp instead of effects loop and have had MUCH better results with analog delay in that configuration.

JayFreddy likes this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    No reverb and analog delay for me.

IMO many who try analog and choose digital for its superior sound have listened to sub par AD.
    Not that there's anything really wrong with that, and indeed since BBD chips are now only a niche market it makes sense to go with what's plentiful and cheap.
    Current production analog chips are generally inferior to what was made when the chips had a bigger market.
    At the same time, many vintage AD pedals were more primitive circuits.

The Dunlop made ADs are popular but IMO and to my ear not very good.
    That cheap AD sound is what many use as a benchmark for "the AD sound".

Many vintage ADs have a dark and muddy sound, so that is another sample used as a benchmark of AD.

I don't like the bright punch (or whatever) of straight DD or the high cut lo fi digital simulation of AD and tape delay. Haven't tried them all but there are an awful lot and the better ones are more expensive that my preferred ADs.

I have no issue with others preferring DD, but wish to point out that there is no more "AD sound" than there is a "tube amp sound".
    Try three tube amps or ADs, that's not enough to determine the overall "sound" of a technology.

I'd guess I've had a dozen different ADs and only a couple were remotely dark or muddy.
    Bought a Dunlop made Aqua Puss and tried the CC, gave away the Aqua Puss.
    Not impressed, though they certainly work and fit the cliche AD vibe.

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm seriously tempted by the Hardwire Delay. I already have the Hardwire RV-7 Reverb, which is one sweet pedal. :cool:

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Is the hardwire reverb the one with Lexicon algorithms?

I've been tempted to buy one used a few times, has to be better than the Holy Grail nano I have but only rarely pull out, usually for electric violin, which is like adding an effect to an effect.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have an old Boss DD-5 that's on all the time and I love it. The only thing I do is tap in the tempo of whatever song I'm playing.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yes it is.
    [​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    have a dm2, a performer 525?, carbon comp, multiplex, dd7, dlux mem man clone... have owned many including a mem man and ibanez/maxon ad150.

a squeaky clean digital delay is a thing of beauty.
    the organic and random warble of analog is also.

i like them both for different things. One is better for clean, one is better for classic/retro/reggae.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It's interesting. This does not match my experience. I've owned every really nice analog delay (newer and vintage) under the sun, trying to find "the one".

None did it for me. Nor do I experience the "bright punch" thing in a decent digital delay (unless I want to).

I never made the connection before. But to me, the beauty of a good digital delay is dynamic range. With a good digital delay, I get full dynamic range. What I put in is what I get out. Some analog delays have decent dynamic range, but none I've used match that of a good digital delay in my experience. Also, every analog delay I've used has that annoyingly present and percussive initial repeat (really part of the dynamic range thing for me).

The connection I never made is, I tried every tube amp under the sun in my search, and was never happy until I found a good SS amp that instead of the vaunted "compression" had full dynamic range. Problem solved. Haven't looked at another amp since.

I know @Jakedog came to a similar conclusion regarding amps kinda in parallel with me. I seem to recall he might prefer digital delay and if so and if you're watching, @Jakedog I'd be curious if you get what I mean about dynamic range of a delay pedal relative to dynamic range of amps. Or whether you think I'm all wet.

I'm also wiling to acknowledge that in NOT wanting an amp to compress, and preferring more dynamic range in amps and delays, I'm probably an outlier . . .

telemnemonics likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta have verb, and my delay is only for slapback. And I still add a pinch of verb to that slapback. I know, crazy.

I've always been so addicted to verb that I never even noodled with delay to consider it a substitute, although so many people do.

10. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    don't take this the right way... your avatar is all jc... and you prefer digital delay... I would expect nothing less(sm go for chorus?). afa dynamic range... the dod performer series 585A is an mn3005 with 18v ops in/out... gets overlooked a lot but is the cleanest analog delay I have heard. Might just be that this one was well adjusted with an osc. then again, either way I suspect we are looking for very different things from amps/pedals (in a good way).

11. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Don't take this the wrong way but I literally have no idea what you are trying to say, until the last sentence.

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    no worries... I'll summarize: the analog delay I mentioned has higher headroom and is very clean.
    seems like you are into ultra clean - prob why you prefer digital.
    jc has analog chorus (at least the originals do) and I'd be curious of your opinion on analog vs digital chorus.

13. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Thanks. I'm not into clean. I tend to play on the edge to overdriven. Every JC I've tried (other than the 120) has good to great overdrive built in.

I just like dynamic range. So I found an amp not intended to mimic tube amp compression.

I do find brighter things work better in a mix (unless dark for a purpose) and many analog delays do seem designed to be darker. But with the delay it's also about dynamic range for me and digital does that better (even with an overdriven signal).

Don't use much chorus so can't comment on the analog/digital question there. I'm more apt to use the vibrato on the JC. The JC chorus is the first one I've ever liked though. I tend to use the "fixed" setting, which is pretty subtle.

mistermikev likes this.

14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    A good digital is good .

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I have, and use, both and they are different. Depends on the effect that I want, but for the way I use a delay my personal preference is analog most of the time.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

16. JDB2

JDB2 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Good a analysis. What is your analog delay of choice?

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    You left off tape delays, oil can echos, and playing in a canyon.
    Has anyone made a wax cylinder delay yet?

telemnemonics and RetroTeleRod like this.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Another great type of delay is mimicking guitar sounds with your voice after you play a note.

Byeow byeow yow yow ow ow

19. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Me too. The reverb is nice on a quiet song like Riviera Paradise etc. But in a band mix gets lost a bit to my ears. I have settled on the Boss DD3 digital but can't say i'm totally satisfied. Clean dry echo is what I want, dont add anything else.
    A DD3 with a lot less options on it would be nice. I just need simple clean delay/reverb-ish or slapback too.
    The CC was too dark for me, but great sitting playing alone.
    The new Hardwire was junk and sold the next day after I got it. It "cliked" along with the echo.

20. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    I use both. I have an AnalogMan ARDX20 with the AMAZEO Tap Tempo Controller for analog. It's great. Sounds fab, you can have two independent delay settings with tap control over one.

However, my guitar has a stereo output with one signal from the electric and another for the acoustic, and I wanted to be able to run both with tap, but set separate loops, so I just got an Eventide TimeFactor, which is pretty amazing. It takes a LOT to learn everything you can with it. I feel like I've barely tapped the surface. It also sounds really good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.