Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Analog or Digital Delay?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 16, 2018.

Analog or Digital Delay?

1. Analog

2. Digital

3. Analogital (I used Both)

4. Reverb Only

5. Dry as the Desert

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    I have discovered in my pursuit of a tone that I don't need reverb and prefer Digital delay over analog...just wondering what the current flavor for most folks out there is these days....

2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I always expected analog would be better, naturally. For my tastes, turns out not to be true. My favorite delay pedals are all digital. With Skreddy Echo top of the heap.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I too wasted a lot of time with analog because of received wisdom that it is more natural and better. To my ear (and feel) it is neither. Digital all the way.

Truth be told I rarely use it and only as an effect. Not some kind of “sweetener”.

Teleterr likes this.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I use a Kemper. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between it and a Marshall stack running all up. The technology is to the point where digital delays can emulate analog all the way... Plus, they can do what digital already does and analog will never.

karpis likes this.

5. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    The Carbon Copy is so simple even I can use it. Currently it is seeing the most action on my acoustic where it ranges from some reverby sounds to slapback to modulated lushness. It is very musical at all settings.

I have one the touted Ibanez DE7 pedals. I rarely use it for more than slapback. The clinical clarity of it sounds phony to me. However, in a bar band mix, it does the job.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    I've got both. As I mainly use a rapid, one-shot, snap-back slapback, it doesn't make much difference to me. for wistful, atmospheric stuff, I prefer the bucket brigade delay.
    My digital pedal actually sounds more like a decent analogue than a digital. This is because it's a cheap digital pedal. There is a nice roll-off to the decays. It sort of stays cleaner than the BBD, but still sublimes nicely.

I've never managed to get my confuddled noggin around dotted whutchamacallits or tap tempo things, so I just fiddle with the settings of simple pedals until they bend to my will.

t guitar floyd likes this.

7. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i have a dd3 and use it for slapback mostly. it gets me all rockabilly-ed up nicely

RetroTeleRod likes this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I prefer analog.
    Digital is not a deal breaker.
    I gotta have ‘verb (and tremelo).
    Gotta!

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I have some. I plug in. "That sounds good". I play for a while.... " a little less"... I play for awhile and turn it down again... Repeat... Then its at 0 and I realize for the 1,000th time I like going in str8 w no delay at all. But I have an open mind.

For synth type sounds instead of guitar I like it.

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have no idea what mine is (Keeley Delay Workstation). All I know is that I liked it better than any of the others - aside from an Echoplex - which was a bit pricier.

11. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I am really happy with my digital reverb, I have a Digitech Polara. I can get it set up on a bunch of the different modes and it sounds great.

I have had 2 Digital Delays, a TC Flashback and right now I have a Digitech Obscura. I wouldn't say I've bonded that much with either of them. I don't play with Delay much. I liked some of the sounds of the Flashback a lot, the Obscura is a little over the top sometimes. But the Obscura has Tap Tempo that works really well and makes it really easy to use. I would be tempted to try an analog delay if I found one with tap tempo.

I play totally dry quite often too, but I use reverb noticeably more. (I have no reverb in my amp.)

I have a digital Trem/Vibrato pedal as well and totally haven't gotten on with it. That is the one I think I'm most likely to try replacing it with an analog version. I think something simple and cheap like the Joyo Tremolo might actually be more my taste.

Last edited: May 16, 2018

12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I always try all the hip new delays that come out, and there are a kajilion on them now... at the end of the day I always come back to my trusty DD3. I set it for basically like one and a half repeats (Second repeat being much fainter), and a hair longer than a slapback, with the mix fairly low. That and a little verb from the amp gets me where I need to go IMHO.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm not convinced that I could reliably distinguish between the two. Maybe some obvious examples, but then again, I don't use delay a whole lot. I've got a DD3, it's been around a long time, I use it sparingly - in fact it's not even on my working board at the moment. I've used it for special effects, longer than slapback stuff, once in awhile, but it's not part of my ordinary menu. I like the tremolo. In fact, I love the tremolo. Not always on, but still.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

14. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    USe both.

But favorites are MOOG MF104M Delay

Dawner Prince BOONAR Echo.

15. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Alpine, NJ
    I have this old Aria AD 10 bucket-brigade delay, it's warm and easy to work with. But after reading all the posts I'm going to play around with my DD2

16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I use both at times. Currently have a Carbon Copy on my board. I'll use it until I get the urge to hear my DD-3 again. Either works for my needs. (Slapback)

artdecade likes this.

17. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use a digital delay with an analog emulation setting (Digitech Hardwire DL-8). It is close enough to analog for me, and I can keep it on the digital setting if I want that. It also emulates tape delay and something called "lo-fi", so I have a number of options if I don't want that crystal clear digital repeat sound.

RetroTeleRod and JustABluesGuy like this.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I’ve got more delay pedals than anything else. I have a DM-2, a big box Deluxe Memory Man, an old Ibanez AD-9, and a long chip DD-3.

The DD-3 is the only one that isn’t on a board. Honestly I would have sold it by now if it hadn’t belonged to a friend who passed away.

The new digital stuff may be just as good as bucket brigade chips, but that MN3005 sound just really works for me. I like it for slapback (DM-2) or washy long delays (DMM). I like a delay to melt into the rest of the sound. The digital ones that I have tried don’t quite do that. I did have a DD-20 that was pretty good but I didn’t need all that extra stuff. The five knobs on the DMM is already pushing it for me!

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I've had a DD-2 on my board since the 90s, but that's recently been replaced by a Catalinbread Adineko... which has its own limitations, but adds a very cool, haunting effect to everything. I also have a Belle Epoch in the chain for its preamp and slapback sounds.

Both are digital pedals, emulating specific analog effects.

20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I don’t use a lot of delay and don’t have a lot of experience with them. I have a cheap Donner Yellow Fall that I’ve used for slap back. I just bought a used Line 6 Echo Park that so far sounds great to me.

It’s digital but emulates tape, an analog, and also has a digital setting. When set to tape or analog, it sounds pretty analog to me with each successive echo getting darker. The digital setting has more pristine repeats obviously. It also has interesting, unique modulation effects available for each setting. Tape has wow and flutter, digital has chorus, and the analog setting has tremolo.

It seems pretty versatile so far, and my needs are pretty simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.