Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Analog modelling!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by MatchlessMan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    I recently got rid of my old POD 2.0 and even older Boss GX700, which for years had seen occasional use as the means to record guitar into my multi-track. I had come to realise that they both sounded terrible!

I also switched from a hardware DAW (Akai DPS16) to software (Reaper), and the prospect of plug-ins arose. I chose another route - stand-alone digital and analog amp modellers. Having cut my teeth on cassette multi-trackers, I had always worked to the pattern of (1) get the guitar sounding good, (2) record it. Plugins allow you to record something and tweak it later, but this does not appeal - life is too short!

For analog I chose the Tech 21 PSA 1. This uses multi-band distortions and filters at different frequencies to emulate various amps. Here's a pic, and a recent audio clip. The guitar is an American Standard Tele going through a Cali76 compressor and the PSA. There is a touch of reverb from a spring tank, recorded at the same time onto a separate track.
    [​IMG]
    Soul Man intro

I'm really pleased with this unit. Anyone else use one, or the Tech 21 character pedals, for recording?

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I've played the trademark 60 combo many times. Best solid state tone i ever heard till modeling started improving to the point it is now. But as solid state analog, i have only played maybe 3 amps i felt were as good as tubes and the trademark i'd put as #1 in that category. Much prefer my mustang, but not because the tones are necasarily better but because i can hone in on exactly what i'm looking for and get closer then with the T 21 plus i feel the touch sensitivity and dynamics are better. And to me thats the most important thing that even many tube amps don't do well enough to make me happy. The thing is tho, most would never know that unless they played a very well tweaked mustang. But for all out classic style distortions tech 21 is as good as analog gets IMO.

Jim Dep and RyCo1983 like this.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I have a Character British pedal that I like a lot. It has a huge range of tonal and OD options in the Marshall style, so much so that it is easy to miss the sweet sport. It is powerful enough to use as a preamp (IMO it is better than the gain channel on my H&K), which I often do, or as a pedal or direct to PA. I haven't tried it for recording, but I think that it would work very well Mine is the old version, the new ones have switchable speaker emulation bypass, which should make them more amp-friendly.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Man, you just said what i have tried to explain about the mustang uncountable times and you said it infinitely better. And i don't think you can emphasize the word "easy" in the context of that sentence enough. A few simple words but thats exactly what i always try to convey when explaining that the mustangs greatest asset is also it's greatest liability and the reason why many don't ever "get it" when it comes to the mustang. They tweak them for a time but never realize they never found that sweet spot. People think i'm an idiot when i tell them it's taken me months or years to get the best out of it but the fact is, after 4 years with it i still find ways to improve the tones i get for the exact reason you explained so eloquently. It's a constant evolution that just gets better and better as you happen uoon new ideas every so often. I hope u don't mind if i quote you now and then.

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    :)

6. MatchlessMan

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    Leaving aside the Level Control, the PSA1 has 7 controls, each of which has 256 memorisable values. That's a lot of variation! Fortunately the unit comes with 50 presets based on Fender, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie models, so you can start somewhere close and tweak to get it how you want. The Soul Man sound started life as a pretty convincing Stevie Ray emulation, but I took the gain down and adjusted the EQ to get what you hear on the clip.

7. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds spanky!

Me, I'd like to try the Liverpool Deluxe.

8. MatchlessMan

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    Last night I had a rehearsal at Real World Studios, the one owned (or whatever) by Peter Gabriel. The rehearsal room was double-booked so they bumped us up to one of the live rooms. The guy looking after us took us for a quick look at the big control room, and what should I see in the rack? Only a Sansamp PSA1! Apparently it gets a lot of use.

Here's a pic I found - the PSA1 is the 4th rack unit down at the front left of the picture. It looks a bit pink because it is - they made a few with front panels in different colours.

[​IMG]

9. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I just did a blues gig with a carcosa into a joyo american sound into a DI. i ran that into my own monitor system then fed guitar and vocals to the FOH. One of the best vocal and guitar sounds i ever had at a gig.

GrantR likes this.

10. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I love the character series for direct into my Focusrite. I couldn't get them to behave as preamps into a power amp though. It's nothing wrong with the units; they work exactly as advertised. I think it's more my expectations. As I said though, for a DI into a computer or PA, I love them!

My only issue with them is that they don't like pedals going into them very much, but that could also be more a function of how I set them vs. anything inherently wrong with the units themselves. I'm hardly an expert, so I'll follow this thread and hopefully I can learn some things!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.