Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

aNaLoG.MaN King of Tone (review)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by the guy who invented fire, Sep 10, 2007.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Guys, when it comes to moderating you need to keep in mind that not every post -- 1,500 per day -- gets read. Unless someone complains about the post.

Surprise, someone did complain about this post.

About the Pedal Jihad thing... yes, that's not good, but we're not going to edit every silly comment made. And, it's not considered religious discussion to say that. It's considered political. That is why it's bad.

Lastly AnalogMike doesn't get a pass, but like everyone here he gets some opportunity to respond in a non-sales talk way. Which he has done.

Chill people. Someone posted a YEAR AGO about a pedal they like. Lots of other folks like it too.

You don't like it, or how it's marketed, fine say so. But come on... there is OR should be a limit. Other than that its just arguing.

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I do actually like it (I like the original BB V1 for obvious similar reasons).

I'm torn as far as the marketing goes, kind of a gray area. But I can see why Mike would be vague, now that he's gotten his say so. I tried to elaborate on my feelings regarding this. I was more interested in sharing than arguing, but can see how it's derailed into the latter, and I attempted to apologize.

I think that AM's price is fine, too. And I understand that he has no control over eBay.

I don't like the wait. That's why I was looking for options. When I found out the basis of the KoT (from my perception), I felt compelled to share this info.

Sorry for contributing to argument.

3. Briggs

Briggs TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    England
    And hey, we all know the best OD tones come from getting your tube amp and sticking the gain knob to 11 now don't we ;)

4. analogmike

analogmike Tele-Meister

May 9, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    It all comes down to this- no politics, religion, law, etc, it's about enjoying music, that's what the KoT is about :

5. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I'm so glad that your statement is false. I also appreciate your humor.:D

I see lots of local acts where the gear is basically a Highway One Tele or Strat, a DRRI, and a stock Bad Monkey. The DRRI is only ~20 watts, but if you cranked that thing, the sound man or pub owner would have your head...

That's the beauty of any guitar rig - there are many paths that eventually lead to the same destination.

6. Briggs

Briggs TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    England
    Practice. And understanding what does what.

It took me months to work out the difference between an overdrive and a distortion! I look at it like this, a claw head hammer - one end used for hammering one end for pulling out nails. One side cannot effectively do the job of the other. It's all part of the same hammer but you gotta know what piece to use for what job.

7. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Naw, man...

You just pound the snot out of the nails until you drive them completely through the drywall.:twisted:

Finesse is so overrated.:lol:

A great OD can be tweaked for distortion duties, and a distortion with enough attenuation in the right spots makes for a great OD...

Sometimes it's as simple as relocating the diodes.

I just took a Drivetrain II this evening and yanked out all of the caps. I replaced them with values that were 15% higher, or 30% lower. When I fired it up on the bench, it sounded great the first time - go figure. It was supposed to be a project for someone else (he wants his Fulldrive off of his pedalboard), but I don't think I can part with it now...

8. Paul B

Paul B Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Australia
    Well this is a great thread.

We all need to live and let live. We can never please everyones standards, desires and wants.

The bottom line is if you like it and you make good music from owning a KOT pedal then all the other issues are irrelevant.

I have ordered my KOT and I will just wait like everyone else.

Thank you to Analogman for even creating the pedal in the first place!

How much time did you put into getting this pedal up to this stage Mike?

Peace.

9. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2007
    Abington
    The Whole Thread

Well, What have we learned, someone does not like to wait 2 years for a pedal. Analog Mike has a very small shop and is involved in a lot of his own pedal making, if he wanted to do things differently and put the KOt on MF like Keeley did with his compressor, he would have to greatly change his operation, but he wants to do it the right way, it takes longer- ONE thing I will say about Mike in dealing with him this year in a review situation, is that he does not diss other's products and he is upfront and honest, And he makes a lot of great pedals
    JIm

10. Montana_Dawg

Montana_Dawg Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2004
    Washington
    I just read this and had to laugh. Salmon and Trout are from the same family, Salmoninae.

Kinda like a Strat and a Tele...same family, different specie, all good. ;)

11. the guy who invented fire

the guy who invented fire Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2004
    The ATL
    Wow...Im amazed to see that this thread is still going...

All the talk aside, the KoT is still on my board and running strong and FWIW, I have another one comming soon for my grab and go board!

I've gotten quite a few killer dirt boxes since getting my KoT...Box of Rock, Blackstone Mosfet OD, etc but the KoT keeps holding strong at the top for me!

12. Dry Rub

Dry Rub TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Scotia, NY
    I guess I'll extend this silly thread a little longer. My KOT was with the mailman TODAY on my porch but since I wasn't home it's on it's way back to the post office. SON OF A!!! Well, it's been two years. What's another 24 hours? I could care less whether this pedal is based off of your grandpa's ham radio, all I know is tomorrow the neighbors are going to get a dose of Vibrolux and Winnie Brat juiced up with some KOT. I'm sure they'll agree it was worth the wait.

13. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    A 2+ year wait?!:eek: Yikes!

14. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just got on the waiting list last week. Looks like my Analogman modified SD-1 / Fulltone Fulldrive 2 will have to tide me over...

15. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2007
    Abington
    And I'm impatient on a 2-3 week wait for a Wampler Ego compressor
    J

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.