Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Analog delay: wet only loop ideas

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jack Clayton, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    I started a thread looking for suggestions on a new analog delay. I recently took the advice from many of you, and got the DOD Rubberneck. Couldn't be happier with it so far. Thanks for all your input.

One of the features I've only scratched the surface of is the wet only effects loop, which allows you to apply other effects into the wet signal, which loop around over and over.

So far I've tried looping in the DigiTech mosaic (a 12-string simulator) and a few fuzzes. The results are interesting, but I'm just getting started.

So for anyone who owns a Rubberneck, an SD Vapor trail, a Deluxe Memory Boy, or any other analog delay that features an effects loop, what's your favorite effect to loop in? I'd love suggestions and ideas while I go crazy with it by myself.

jddub440 likes this.
  2. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    I just got to start playing with my new DOD Rubberneck delay today....I tried a Phase 90 in the effect loop of the Rubberneck and enjoyed that sound....then tried a Swollen Pickle. The Pickle made it oscillate like crazy everytime but still sounded cool, just untamable. I also put a momentary kill switch in there to try to get the repeats to sound glitched or broken....that was a bit difficult to achieve and I don't think I'll bother with trying that out again.
    Like you, I'm only getting started with the experiments; I've still got a ton of effects I want to try in that delay loop!

Jack Clayton likes this.
  3. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I think JHS in his latest video was going on about putting a Univibe into a delay loop.

There are lots of others I'd try. Distortion/OD, Fuzz, Tremolo, you name it!

What about another delay?

ukepicker, Jack Clayton and jddub440 like this.
  4. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did try adding the Way Huge Echopuss into the loop. It gave me two fun things. First, if I dial up the feedback on the echopuss, it will self oscillate in the loop, which is a cool and interesting sound, though not exactly musical. The second thing it seems to do is just cause a delay in when the second effect kicks in. So, if set properly, say, the Rubberneck to a whole note and the Echopuss to a quarter, it sort of becomes this escalating delay that is kinda cool.

What this really makes me want to try is two to three delays all with their own fx loops, fed into each other. A Russian nesting doll situation , if you will. This would have the potential of creating a continuous escalation of delay times.

But who's got that kinda money?

5. Rock A. Billy

Rock A. Billy TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Germany
    I use an Electro Harmonix Blurst in the FX loop of my Memory Man Deluxe for a slow filter sweep as in EHX's promo video from 5:08 onward.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    My favorite delay had a phase 45/univibe hybrid circuit on the tails. It could modulate the pitch a little, but mostly it just made the delays seem chewy. And the whole circuit would distort a little and you'd have this great clean tone on top and just underneath, a quiet, chewy army of marching ants.

I've never heard it's equal. Too bad it was a one-off. But I lost it in a trade and I'm currently in the market for a replacement. Keep us updated on what you try and what you like!

7. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Modulation is a good place to start - Flanger, Phase, Chorus. Get some wobble in the repeats. Pitch shifting is always a good one.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Love VFE Dragon for adding hint of extra grit and changing freq range all in one pass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.