Analog delay rundown.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jack Clayton, Nov 12, 2018.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

my behringer delay is digital and self oscillates.

2. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I have had good results with the Ibanez AD9 and Malekko Ekko 616, but now use the Alter Egox4 by TC and love it

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've been following this thread about analog delays, but see a bunch of posts about digital delays.

4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

xxx

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Jack Clayton likes this.
  5. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

The point was just to hear what everybody's favorite analog delays were. It's about my favorite type of effect, and I wanted some more input before make my next purchase.

6. Jack Clayton

Seems like two of the big hits are the DOD Rubberneck and the SD Vapor Trails. I'm thinking those are gonna be the ones I check out.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've owned all of the ones you mention except the Echo Puss. While the CC is too dark for my taste, it is a good delay. I also got a Carbon Copy Bright, and wow, that was just the ticket.

But... at the time I did a bunch of testing, I had been playing a Wampler FTE for years. If I recall, it's an analog signal path, despite some digital guts. Anyway, I count it as analog, because it sounds like it to me. The goal was to find a replacement, as I just wanted something different. I was very surprised that the FTE outshone all the others, by a good margin. And I wound up keeping it for a few more years. With just a bit of tweaking, I was able to get it to sound *exactly* like the CC, CCB, and AP. Plus it did plenty of sounds none of those could do.

I wasn't purely testing analog, as I also had a Boss DD-3 on my board that I liked for some things. Nice and crisp. Very simple. I also tried and ditched a few: Memphis Sun, Strymon Deco (I have always had high hopes for Strymon, and have never kept one of their pedals - you'd think I'd know by now they're not for me). On a whim, I tried the Empress Echosystem, and it's a whole world unto itself. Very good, if you want a full time job playing with it. Jeez.

What's on my board now, for the last couple years? Boss DM-2w, and a vintage Maxon AD-900. The former is a great sound that none of the others quite do. There's that subtle warble. The latter is a dirt simple analog that I imagine all those others used as a model. It's great.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  8. Jack Clayton

The only reason I narrowed my question to analog delays is that I've already got the Earthquaker Avalanche Run, and a DD6' and I can't imagine ever needing another.

If you haven't used an Echopuss, I highly recommend it. It's a unique delay, unlike any other I've played with. But I'll probably never swap it out. I really love the thing. And it stacks better than most analog delays.

moosie likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

TC Electronic EchoBrain

$40 or so used ? Fully analog Bucket brigade delay.

Sounds better than my Behringer DM-3 clone and is 100% better built.

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

OOPS!

Jack, I thought this was a different thread. There's one nearby where the original poster removed his first question and replaced it with some sort of article about shopping for electronic games.

Sorry! I'll see if I can remove my post.

My favorite, by the way, is the Ibanez Mini. Warm, organic, predictable, simple.

11. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Rubberneck for me. I bought 2. It's $99 right now at Pro Audio Star.

I just got a memory boy too, but I find the repeats lack attack, which bothers me.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got a Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT. (Xvive 3005)

It was a bit of a saga.. I sold some pedals on Reverb, then bought the Memory Man used from a music store's reverb page. It was an open box/demo type thing and the price was really good, but when it arrived despite being in the original packaging and looking ultra mint it had something wrong and the bypass/status LED was broken. The seller was amazing and exchanged it for a brand new unit for no extra cost. Amazing.

The 1100-TT is amazingly clean.. to the point I could see someone complaining it "sounded digital". The sound quality is pretty unreal.

I already had the Memory Boy, I may try to use both.. perhaps the memory boy in the front of the amp and the memory man in the loop. The are voiced so drastically different. The Memory Boy is possibly better when you want a dark or swampy sound and the chorus and vibrato are fairly different. Also the Memory Boy/Deluxe Memory Boy have Triangle & Square Wave whereas I think the Memory Man is a Sine wave modulation.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Deluxe Memory Man xo. You may prefer the tap tempo or the additional chips of the 1100, but in any case... It's the best sounding delay to my ears. It's just so natural sounding, not dark like most analog delays, and the modulation just "works." You mentioned U2, so there's that too. Now when I hear a demo of a carbon copy or even something like a DM2w, they just sound lacking. Of course it depends on the application, yada yada.

14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've used mostly digital delay for years (Skreddy Echo, TCE Alter Ego X2), but much appreciate analog choices too. Perhaps the best I've tried are:

Rocketride asteroid: a modded small box memory man
    Retrosonic analog delay
    Maxon AD-900
    EHX Memory Toy

And most recently, a Maxon AD10. The AD10 is the best, at least for what I need. The Memory Toy had excellent delay sound too, would be perfect except for the not at all subtle volume boost when on.

15. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I really love the Malekko Ekko 616 MKII...it's got it all for me. The other analog I always liked is the Aqua Puss. I steer away from analogs that are too dark and muddy...to each his own.

SixgunElectric likes this.
  16. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I'm very happy with the Digitech Obscura. I run 2 of them. The analog and tape settings are my favorites. It has a tone control and you can also control the signal degradation of the analog delay.
    It's discontinued, but there's still lots of them out there and they're pretty affordable. Huge bang for the buck pedal, and sounds as good as anything out there to my ears.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I found a behringer Vintage time machine VM-1 for 49.00 cannuck, ( I got it yesterday) I had heard that Behringer got their hands on some bucket brigade chips and made a direct copt of the EH memory man .I was shocked this thing sounded identicle to the memory man, the lay out was Identical ( minus the paint job) switches and controls were the same .and the price is right , plus it give you runnaway feed back

VM1-large.jpg qt8avgcyp5h5qrhajci2.jpg

boppy likes this.
  18. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

Nice find, 24 Track. I wish I could find one too.
    I wonder if you can pump 18 volts into those things without mishap?
    Care to try? ;)

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've always loved the mad scientist look of those
    [​IMG]

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Rubberneck is cool. Longest analog delays? Not sure. But very long. It sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.