Ana Popovic last night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by archetype, Apr 23, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw Ana Popovic last night at the Tralf Music Hall in Buffalo, NY. Ana is the real deal as a blues player and throws a lot of funk in with it. She has a very "modern electric blues" approach. A fine voice, too. BTW she pronounces it "Popovich."

This is a lousy phone picture of last night. My phone doesn't know how to handle the level of light on a stage.

ana_popovic_sm.jpg

Here's a good example of a recent show. This is the same band that was with her last night. A month ago in Barcelona, ES.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Stubee, thunderbyrd and teletimetx like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome! I really want to see Ana live someday.

She came to Houston a few years back at a small club, and a good friend went and said she was amazing. Her band has grown looks like from your pic. Good to see she's doing well out touring.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Regarding your exposure, it isn't that the phone can't handle the amount of light on the stage. A modern camera usually has no trouble taking a shot darkly enough; almost nothing is so bright that a camera cannot capture it using its available shutter speeds and apertures. What's happening is simply that the exposure meter is being fooled by the overwhelming size of the dark areas in the photo. It thinks you are trying to shoot something dark, so it is deciding to let a bunch of light in. All you need to to is to manually adjust the auto exposure that the camera thinks you need. On an I-Phone, to do this, you touch the screen to focus, and when the little yellow box with the sun icon next to it pops up, you drag the sun down until the exposure looks right.

I never, and I really mean NEVER, take an I-Phone photo without first focusing, and determing if I should adjust the exposure manually if needed (which I often have to do). The phone cameras themselves are passable quality most of the time, but the auto focus and auto exposure are not very good.

jrblue likes this.
  4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

Having lived in Belgrade, Serbia/Yugoslavia, for many years, it's good to hear of Ana's success. Yugoslavia had a vibrant rock and new wave scene back in the day.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Every Serb that has a last name ending in "ic" pronounces it as "ich". Did anyone think otherwise?

6. archetype

Thank you VERY much for the exposure info. I have an iPhone and never knew this stuff.

Slip Kid and EsquireOK like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Any time! Photography is my sole source of income, and I work in a pretty technical field of it, so any time you have a question, feel free.

8. archetype

Will do, and I appreciate the offer. I sold all my Nikon film equipment to KEH years ago and need to venture out with my D40 with serious intent.

9. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I sold her my 80's TS-808! Yes, the closest to a "15 minutes" moment I'll surely ever have.

GoldieLocks, thunderbyrd and Big_Bend like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.