Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

An SG observation

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TG, Nov 26, 2010.

1. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    If I look at the PET scan long enough, it seems to change direction from CW to CCW. It also sometimes seems to turn 180 degrees in one direction, stop when it's side-on, then turn back 180 in the opposite direction.

With both the dancer and the PET scan, though, I initially saw them going clockwise. Interesting that some people do and some don't. The brain is a strange thing.

2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I was just looking up PET scans (my brain certainly is a strange thing...) and it said that it's important to 'view' a scan as spinning clockwise otherwise everything...ie, the internal organs...are backwards!
    Viewed rotating counterclockwise the liver is on the left.

3. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2003
    Pa
    standard,special,and jr. horns for your veiwing pleasure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    I'm a righty. For me the initial perceived difference in the SG reversed image is startling in it's apparent increased asymmetry. However, the more I look at it, the less difference there seems to be...

My brain predominantly wants to see the dancer as spinning clockwise. The easiest way for me to reverse the apparent motion is to not only look to the supporting foot but to the shadow of the supporting foot. My thinking on this was that this was due to the direction of the apparent motion being entirely dependent on which part of the image was currently being perceived as the foreground and which was being perceived as the background and that the supporting foot and the shadow thereof, provided the least amount of detail; thereby allowing the brain to more easily switch perception of foreground and background...

Anyway, that's whut I was athinkin... :lol:

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Always looks to be like the Top Horn is the alpha horn.

6. ya same here

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Huh, until you said something I'd never noticed the lack of a scallop on the top horn on my SG! I've had it since the late 80's! LOL! I think it has to be that way 'cause of the batwing pickguard...

And I was born a lefty, but do a lot of stuff righty (including play guitar) and i can't see either the girl OR the scan going any way but counterclockwise. But I can't ever see those stupid dolphins in the stare-at-it-long-enough pics either.

8. weezy109

weezy109 Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    As one guy pointed out your eye sees the top horn as dominant, so if the top horn is the longer horn then it seems "right" to us who have a mental image of an sg already, when you flip it then it looks very odd and the difference of the top dominant horn (which is now short) seems much more drastic. Like most things in life it is a matter of perspective.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    The SG horn does look larger in the reversed picture....interesting.
    The dancing girl is going counterclockwise only for me.....then again I can't get over the fact that she may be naked :eek:(or at least I'm imagining her that way).
    The other scan goes both ways for me...and I can change it pretty much at will....freaky though....very cool.

10. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

:eek: exactly the way I see all of it....so we must be right ;)

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I caught a report on the BBC the other day about visual perception. There is a recent report on a study that concludes that due to differences in each of our visual cortex sections of the brain, we all see things differently. I suppose that is why a simple tape measure can prove that perceptions canbe misleading...n the case of the SG's horns. AS to the visual tricks there, I still don't see the dolphin swimming around that figure of a nude woman. (;^)

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Holy crap! Today the naked dancing woman is going Clockwise....the other day I could not get her to go clockwise no matter what I did....and today is ONLY clockwise. I must be losing my mind or something changes depending on the day or some other factor. Weird.:eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.