Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

An SG observation

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TG, Nov 26, 2010.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen SGs for decades and althought I know that one of the 'devil' horns is longer than the other, my brain seems to insist on making me see them as being equal. Symmetrical, like a set of horns basically.
    It seems so to me in this picture.

[​IMG]

But see what happens when the same picture is flipped to a mirror image...

[​IMG]

Is it just me, or do the horns on the lower image look to have more of a difference to each other than the ones in the top picture?

At a glance I see the top guitar as being far more symmetrical than the bottom one.

Anyone else?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting effect. I wonder if lefties (I'm not) would see it differently.

Like, is the dancing spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise?

[​IMG]

3. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Very interesting observation, the horns do look different to me in the two pics.

And that's a pretty SG.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    ...and for a while in the seventies (eighties too?), they eliminated the scallop on the upper cutaway, which I kinda like. It heightened the asymmetry just a bit more.

I think that you don't usually notice it because of the angle it sits on the player. It is pretty understated.

5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Never really looked at that before. Interesting.

6. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Sep 26, 2010
    Perth
    I found that the secret to flipping her around is to look at her feet.

7. timdash

timdash TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a 1979 SG for 22yrs & it was definately more symmetrical than the one in the photo. To my eye yours is a lot more pronounced on the top horn.
    Maybe I was more used to seeing it from a player's eye view, or my strap was too long!!

8. lckyjcky

lckyjcky Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm a lefty and she's going counter-clockwise.

9. lckyjcky

lckyjcky Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm a lefty and I DO see it differently: the top picture show the horns are more pronounced whileas the bottom picture the horns are more evenly matched.

Is it just me or other southpaws agree?

10. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    How uncanny! It is very interesting that Ickyjcky does report seeing the opposite effect than we righthanded players do. This has "Research question" written all over it, imho.

11. Guit-jitsu

Guit-jitsu Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It's what the brain is familiar with. I'm willing to bet if you showed those pictures to someone who had never seen an SG before, they would see no difference. But as guitar players we're more familiar with the 'right handed' image, but the 'left handed' is unusual and we notice more detail.

12. bruce123

bruce123 Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2006
    MI
    I'm a lefty ( mostly) & they both look the same.
    One horn is slightly higher than the other.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I am a righty, and the bass horn is larger in both pictures.....and I see no difference in 'how much larger'..... IF it troubles you, study the relationship to the frets and it will all come into place properly.
    My first guitar was of this shape....a L.P. Jr in white, so I 'am experienced'....quite used to it. If someone built a simular guitar but with 'balanced' horns, it would look strange to me.

The dancing girl??? IF I look at her midsection, she flips direction halfway through the turn. IF I study her head or feet, she continues in one direction. That direction is determined by her direction when I divert my eyes away from the mid-section area. INteresting......

14. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

May 1, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    Strange I never noticed that they weren't even until now.

And I see no way how the dancing girl can be moving any way other than clockwise.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    wshelley, if you look at the midsection you will see a 'break' in the continuity of the lines of her body. When you see this 'break' she will change directions and spin 180 degrees in the other direction. IF you look up or down, that direction will be continued. IF you continue to look at the midsection, she never travels more than 180 degrees in one direction before shifting direction.....at least, that is what I see.
    SG's.....although the 'balance' of the horns may have changed at some pints in its history just as the contours have changed, they have always been unbalanced.....with the bass horn being longer. I have 3 of them from the early k'60's hanging here that have horns ending in the same position relative to the fretboard as the one above.....18th fret for the bass side and almost to the 20th fret for the treble.

16. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    Way Out There
    I'm a lefty and she's going clockwise !

The two pics do look different to each though to my eye. I'm right eye dominant though .... :lol:

17. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    The cutaway difference definitely does look more pronounced when the picture is flipped; I guess (as others have suggested) it's because we're more accustomed to seeing the longer horn on the left.

I can't get the dancer to go any way but clockwise, though. I guess I'm kind of ambidextrous; I write and shoot left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed. On a computer, I use the mouse with my left hand -- but I don't reverse the buttons. I'm a FREAK! :D

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Move the thread up until you just see her feet. Close your eyes and picture them going the other way round then open your eyes. It may take a few tries but they will start moving that way, and when you look at the whole picture it will too.

It isn't actually revolving...your brain is filling in 'depth' trying to make sense of it and it seems to spin, but it can go either way.

19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

This is a picture of a 'positron emission tomography scan' and it does the same thing. You can see it spinning either way.

[​IMG]

20. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    Okay, now I can't get the dancer to *stop* going counter-clockwise. :lol:

[...okay, there she goes.]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.