Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

An observation about weight loss.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Mar 30, 2012.

1. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Been really trying to lose some weight for a big trip I'm taking next year. So far so good. One thing I have noticed though. I had completely forgotten the difference between being "hungry" and just thinkin' about food.

Here in NYC its 11:45, and I'm really HUNGRY. I have not felt like my body really needed food in a good long while. I guess that means I'm doing it right?

2. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Starvation is not good. It signals your body to release cortisol and cortisol will keep fat from being used for energy. At least that's what the guy on the TV commercial said.

3. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Best thing after losing some weight, women will start again at looking at you.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Just because he is hungry doesn't mean he is 'starving'. It is good to be hungry sometimes. Make sure you are getting enough nourishment and calories in the day and you will be fine.

6. superlightweigh

superlightweigh Tele-Holic

That's a good sign if in the past you always just ate something automatically because it was time or you felt like it or you were bored.

Here's another one: Eat until your not hungry any more, don't just eat until you're full.

7. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Not starving. Not at all. Had a good breakfast. But not overdoing it. I'm doing weightwatchers. Before...I'd sit dreaming about food. Now, Im at a point when the body tells me...I need to eat.

8. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

At that point its best to feed the body, keep the fire(metabolism)working. But choose something high in Protein and low in Fat.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

Here's an observation about weight loss.
    The weight you lose, usually ends up finding you back.

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

what works for me is spreading the intake out. smaller portions and i eat more often, a little goes a long way when you eat 6 or 7 times a day instead of 3. never get really hungry. lost from 255 down to 173 in 9 months. have kept the scale right there since November of 2010. and don't forget to excercise.

wishing you the best of success

11. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

One trick I learned is to drink a BIG glass of water when you're hungry.

12. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

It's good to keep hydrated, but you can't substitute water for food. Too much water can be as unhealthy has too little. It can often be fatal.

The best advice I can give is know what a healthy calorific intake for you is and keep to it. You'll probably underestimate your intake by around 20% so keep that in mind. Also make sure those calories are balanced and healthy, i.e. if you need 2000 calories to maintain a steady weight don't eat 2000 calories worth of burgers and fries. Don't guess, actually make an effort to know for certain if you are under or over-eating.

As for hunger or cravings just ignore them if you have been eating healthily. I know personally some days for almost no reason I could eat and eat, and eat. I just make sure I keep to a healthy calorific intake and just deal with it. If you have led an unhealthy lifestyle, I'm sure your cravings and hunger pains will be exaggerated. You can often get symptoms similar to addiction withdrawal if you come off a high fat or high sugar diet.

I've succeed where many of my friends have failed in maintaining pretty much the same body weight as when I was 18. Most of my friends are already showing off decent beer bellies and love handles. I'm no fitness freak, but if that happened to me I'd shoot myself. So I swore early on I'd not let myself slip. Though I should really get more exercise, could do with some more muscles.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a trick I learned. When you're right on the edge, and you get really hungry, maybe even feeling a little weak. Carry some crackers with you in the car, or put 'em in your desk etc. When you're really famished eat a couple of crackers. Then get up and move away from them so you don't eat more than two. Here's the thing that is amazing, when your body is running right, after a short while, the hunger pains will be gone, and you will feel a little lift from eating only those two crackers. When that works for you, you are on your way to understanding how to get along with your body and your diet. Only do this once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. Otherwise you'll need a really big box of crackers!

14. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

That's quite a stretch to say that drinking a large glass of water could lead to water poisoning.
    Most times, when people have hunger pangs water can relieve that yearning. I find this true late at night, after dinner. A glass of water is much better than a bag of chips or oreos.

15. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Two of my little tricks...

1) Before every meal either drink an 8oz glass of V8 juice (if you like it). It fills me up and counts for 3 servings of veggies. Or...eat a nice salad...or both.

2) If I do have a snack, I'll put a small handfull of chips in a bowl or paper cup and put the bag back in the pantry. This way, when the bowl is empty, they're gone. As opposed to just sitting on the sofa with the bag in my lap, and eating half the bag.

16. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

Best thing about losing weight is getting to put it back on. Ive done it many times.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied

drink some water or hot tea.

feeling anything is really great... hunger included.. it helps you value your day!

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Doctor of Teleocity

Be careful with the salad thing, since you're hungry all the time, not thinking straight etc. someone might con you into becoming a vegetarian. Then before you know it, you would be out wandering around in the wee hours of morning, raiding old people's gardens. They don't have anything to lose, so no telling what they might to do to you. A tasty rutabaga would tempt you, SLAM the bear trap they put out when it was still light slams shut on you, then what?!

19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

My fat farm counselor says that one gets hungry from not getting enough nutrition - especially protein. She says the weight loss/weight maintenance game is not just a calorie chase but also making sure one gets enough nutrition. Proper balance of protein, starch, fat, etc. She makes a distinction between satiety - nourished - and being full.

As to cravings - cheetos, cracklins, tacos, oreos, peanuts, etc. - she said wait ten minutes, it will passs. What a miserable ten minutes, however, was the part she left out.

20. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted

I've had more success wuth low carb and higher protein and fibre diets. As others have said weight can re-appear but that is a function of me going back to bad old habits. It doesn't happen on its own so I'm in control of my weight to a large extent.

Food that is difficult for your body to digest or break down easily to get energy seems to make it burn its own fat instead. Anything with a high percentage of carbohydrates seems very easy to break down for a quick energy fix so your body looks for what you've eaten first.

I read that if it can't find anything your pancreas secretes insulin and that is what causes hunger pangs (but I am not a Doctor). However protein is difficult to break down and fibre not so easy -sort of a slow burn - so your body gets trained to burn its own fat first. After a while you can add carbs back but I like to mix them together with the protein and fibre in the food to "fool" the body that they aren't there.

There seems to be an in-built resistance/denial to some of these observations (particularly in the UK). I did a full Atkins diet one year for 6 months -literally just eating cooked English breakfasts (sausages, bacon, omletee) twice per day and snacked on chicken breast. Before I started I had a blood test and my cholesterol reading was 6.4. At the end of the diet it was 4.6 so the numbers had reversed just eating protein and fat! When the nurse taking the test asked what I'd done and I told her she straight out refused to believe me and actually became annoyed.

Anyways nowadays I tend to go down the white meat and fish plus leaf salad route for an easy life from everyone from my doctor to my tailor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.