Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

An earth problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Slowpoke, May 30, 2018.

1. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Hi there friends, I've been using a Fishman Loudbox Mini for around 4 years with no complaints until now. This morning I plugged my Epiphone J200 CE in the amp as I usually do and I'm getting a loud hum, but when I touch the jack plug it stops. This has only just started happening and I have no idea why. I'm still using the same power extension cord, the same amplifier power cord and plugged into the same wall socket as I always have. This hum is too loud for me to perform. Now I also have another Fishman Loudbox Mini that I bought from a friend so I plugged that in with exactly the same power cords etc and the same J200 guitar and its absolutely silent until I play a chord. OK I can use the newer Loudbox Mini for busking on Saturday but what do I need to do to stop my original LBM from buzzing. Here's hoping someone can tell me how to fix it without getting a Sparkie or amp tech to look at it. Thanking you guys in advance.. S:eek::eek:

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I was looking at one on CL with a similar problem (although I can't remember if I was exactly the same), but there is a common problem that seemed relatively easy to repair. Some internal cap or filter or something. It took no time at all to find it during a search. I ended up not buying it, because he still wanted too much, but if you search, my guess is you will find the issue.

3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Hi
    My band mate is experimenting the same problem with the same guitar.
    He also has some frying sparks when touching the strings and a shelve where we have the amps at the same time

4. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Thank you for your prompt reply Obsessed, I decided I might continue using the Fishman I bought from my friend. So I ran thru about 6 songs (rehearsals) and then decided to change guitars and plugged in my Takemine and there's that hum again. So I plugged the first Fishman back in with the Takemine and no hum. So I changed amps again and plugged my Maton in and there was no hum. Changed amps again and no hum, by now I'm ready to tear my hair out if I had some. (I shave my head) cos there's not much to shave. Anyway back to the amps, I didn't mention before that I use a TC Harmony Singer with my mic going thru that and of course so does my guitar to keep the harmony voice in tune with my chords. The Harmony Singer has a small transformer which has only a live and return little plug that plugs into it for the 12volt dc power which means there is no earth going to the pedal. Now when I have it plugged in and there's a hum if I touch the Guitar lead or the lead in the mic side the hum stops. It really doesn't take much to confuse me, I am to technology what John Wayne was to flower arranging. I have no idea how to overcome the problem now the TC pedal has got into the show. I think I'll just close my eyes for a while and it might've rightened itself when I open them again.
    Thanks for your advice mate.. S:confused::confused:

5. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Hi El Marin, oh dear that sounds bad, at least I haven't had any sparks which makes me think my problem might just be no earth going to or from the 12 volt DC pedal. I was ready to blame the guitar and possibly the fact that I removed its original Shadow pick-up and EQ system and replaced it with one by JOYO because it had a much better EQ system consisting of Vol, Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, and Treble which with the EQ on the amp gives me an unplugged acoustic sound while being plugged in.
    I'm sure if I could find a 12 Volt DC transformer with an earth it would cure the problem. The other thing is:- Why did it only raise its ugly head today when I've had the Fishman amp for around 4 years and the Epi EJ200 for well over a year.
    Your bandmate has a mains power earthing problem by the sound of it, and needs to get that fixed straight away. That could kill if he gets the full charge of 110 volts which I believe you guys have over in the USA.. S

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, I searched for what I had read about months ago and didn't find it, however what you describe above has been a problem as well. Try touching the guitar jack after everything is hooked up and running. Does the hum go away?Someone has even gone to the trouble of adding a wire from the guitar to ground. It is a ground fault issue with wood guitars. Both Fishman amps seem to have this issue sometimes.

7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    SORRY, I think I have not been clear.... when I said "frying sparks" I meant SOUND, it sound like sparks or a pan frying whatever.... No real sparks, only "sound sparks" witch are really annoying

I live in Spain, EU... we have 230 volts... could be worst, but no problem, I have been shocked many times with 220v and you cannot be killed with that, or at least, I am still alive

The problem is in the guitar. Tried a different guitar and the problem is not there. That Epiphone J200 must have an earth problem

8. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

US mains voltage is frequently said to to be 110 or 117 volts; it is also commonly said to be 110, 115 or 120 volts. Split phase voltage is commonly given as 120/240 volts. Other than some possible historical reasons, I have no idea why the range of voltages. It may have to do with RMS voltage.

9. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have had hum off and on with acoustic electrics. It's hard to figure. I spent a lot of money on one guitar replacing everything electric related (On board pre amp, endpin jack, piezo pickup, battery holder and wires) and in the end , it still hums some times! arghhh.

10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Hi El Marin, I had my Fishman LB Mini and my Epi EJ200 out today to rehearse a couple of songs I shall be singing tomorrow while I'm busking. Now I used a different lead from the guitar to my foot pedal and then the same old lead to the amp. No buzz, not a sound, other than the notes I played. So I've come to the conclusion the buzz I was getting was purely from the lead I used at the time. Which has gone into my music room ready for a repair job.
    Have you changed leads?, it might just be the problem.. S

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Yes, I have had that issue before. My nephew started playing bass as a beginner. They thru in a “free” cable that was a glorified piece of lamp cord with 1/4 tips. Buzzed the first time he plugged in.

Slowpoke likes this.

12. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Hi alnicopu, I have had so many of those leads over the years, the ones with a straight ¼ jack one end and a cranked jack the other and 'orrible thin black cable in between them. A few years ago I got them all together with view to throwing them in the trash bin there were 8 in all but a friend of mine who teaches music and guitar at school asked for them. He said very often a student will turn up for class minus the lead, so he'll lend them one. So I guess they're better than nothing. I bought quite a few metres of good class cable which I make my leads from and they do last a long time before I need to re-solder them which is what I'll do tomorrow to the one that's been buzzing and it should be as good as new again.. S

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.