Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Feb 16, 2017.
Looks really good, again.
Maybe its time you try to build a drum set or an oboe?
Thanks! My daughter played oboe for 4 years. They are pretty expensive if you have to buy it. We just used the school one.
It's been a tough couple of weather days. I didn't get much done because of it. I had previously glued up the walnut back excess waste for a peghead overlay. I cut it down to a manageable size and sanded a 13 degree angle on the edge sander. I calculated the angle using a trig calculator online and the measurement of the peghead drop over 6 inches. While I was out there, I sanded the back of the peghead ears down to within 1/32 of the blank thickness.
Log in or Sign up to hide this Ad.
Just got all caught up on the thread. Moving along nicely. Hey Marty, looks really neat and clean.
I'll check back in, in a bit.
40 degrees and sunny means the cnc router will move without creaking.
I took my previous slotted peghead file, I deleted the slots, and then added in some holes. Then I buzzed out a parlor peghead veneer into the walnut with a cardboard backer board.
I'm getting ready to do something with this neck since it's that time. I was thinking about cnc-ing the carve, since I've never done an acoustic neck before, but I don't think I have the Z space for it with my roundnose bit. I guess I'll just hand carve it.
I was about to saw the heel at an angle and realized I could sand it down faster on my edge sander than I could set up the bandsaw...I would have had to move stuff and move the unused jet planer sitting under the fence rails, to tilt the table. So I sanded it to the line on both sides. Then I bandsawed off the excess on both sides of the fretboard.
I scraped both gluing surfaces to remove any oxidized cellular structure, squirted in a couple small dabs of silicone caulk, and then installed the hotrod in place. With some yellow glue spread on the surfaces and 4 -c clamps every few inches, I clamped it all together with a caul. The brads got their heads cut off at an angle to bury themselves into the caul. I'll remove the clamps in 30 minutes or so, take out the brads, and remove any squeezeout that is cheese-like.
cheesy glue and brads removed
Here is the last thing for today, the filler block for the little extra rout for the truss rod slot.
So most of the filler piece above got removed. I aligned the overlay to the peghead and clamped it down. I used a forstner bit to locate the holes in the peghead and drilled in about half way. Next I took the neck to the drill press and drilled the 6 holes through into a scrap backer board. I made a dowel on my lathe a few thousands undersize and cut that into pieces. The dowels were waxed so they wouldn't stick. Then I glued the veneer down with wax paper between the wood and veneer.
During the squeezing of the bottle, the titebond nozzle gave way and I got more glue than I had hoped for. I mopped it up. After 30 minutes I knocked out the dowels and reclamped it. Probably 30 min is enough, but I don't want the veneer lifting on the edges.
Looking sweet Marty!
Great build Marty!! I'm watching closely. Lots of learning going on.
Thanks guys. I can see some light now at the end of the tunnel.
I agree. Nothing quite like free lessons from a master.
I cut off the excess on the bandsaw and sanded the rest really close to the fretboard and overlay. I left about 1/32".
Well they are free but here's no master woodworker here by any means...
The dimensions for the neck cross sections for facet carving. See this thread for a better explanation if this is new to you.
I only had time to get the
dots and side markers in today.