Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

An early parlor guitar build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Feb 16, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I wanted to do a what I'm going to call a Civil War era parlor guitar out of walnut while it is dry in the house. My last build took 2 years and I'm hoping to get most of this done before April. This is what the guitar looks like without the neck. The neck will be a 12 fret mahogany one.

parlor.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    So since the weather is iffy, I've been working when it is bearable in the shed doing odds and ends. I didn't want to get a thread going until I had the sides bent. I did that a few days ago and now I can progress with this.

Here is a 1/4" thick pattern I cnc'd out of plywood after I created the model up above.

pattern.jpg

h2odog likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Here is the walnut back that I resawed from a larger billet this Summer. I think I got 5 bookmatched acoustic backs out of it and this is the last of it. It got glued up and thickness sanded last month.

walnut back.jpg

h2odog likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The #2 spruce top got glued up and thickness sanded at the same time. The knots are outside the perimeter of the guitar. The seconds are a good value compared to the cost of premium spruce which tends to be pretty much flawless. I like to give the less fortunate pieces of wood a chance too. :)

spruce top.jpg

h2odog, lostjohn and CraigB like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The bent sides. I trimmed them to their final length today. I bent these on my original circa 1982 Fox style bender. I've found the quartersawn walnut bends very nicely. I had to make a new set of bending forms out of plywood for this particular style. Those forms are out of 1/2" plywood with holes to hold aluminum rod that the sheet metal sits on.

sides.jpg

This is what a fox bender and forms look like:

http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultim...ndex.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

I guess Charles Fox should have patented his design.......

h2odog likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The 4 pieces of binding are ripped from the side material before I bent them. I didn't want maple or rosewood, so I just used walnut again. I bend the binding at the same time as the sides. They are taped to the sides in a couple spots. You can see how long the sides were before I trimmed them down by looking at how long the binding is. I probably trimmed off 10 inches of the side material.

binding.jpg

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The neck was glued up like this a couple of years ago for another parlor build that didn't move forward. I found it while looking for some wood to make a neck out of. It's the right size so I figured why not. It has a scarf joint which isn't my favorite looking neck
    ...but I hate to waste wood, so when I accumulate pieces that will work, sometimes they get glued up for the future.

neck.jpg

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The end and neck block got cut out yesterday. It'll be another mortise and tenon joint. I tweaked the tenon to fit the mortise this morning on my router table.

blocks.jpg

The neck tenon fitting into the neck block mortise.

neck in neck block.jpg

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The braces were cut out on the bandsaw and sanded on the thickness sander from a larger brace wood block of spruce.

bracewood.jpg

11. richa

richa Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    This looks fun. Looking forward to seeing this.

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Here is what the form toolpath looked like for my cnc router. I used a 1/4" bit to cut them out and drill the holes.

bending form.png

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    This what I am thinking for the top bracing, a double X...

double x bracing.png

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    And the back bracing is kind of like a normal steel string guitar....

back bracing.png

Freekmagnet likes this.
  15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Thanks. I have wanted to make one like this for a long time...actually from the beginning.

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    This is excessive by a huge margin , even for a jumbo .

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've done it before a couple times on some larger instruments. I'll adjust it accordingly for this smaller instrument.

18. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
  19. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Victoria, BC
    I've always wanted to build an all-mahogany Martin 2-17. This thread is now subscribed.

I'm also interested to see how the top bracing turns out, maybe you could post dimensions of the braving you use?

20. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    A nice project. I have a Maton with double X bracing, but as far as I can tell it is the 70s Gibson style:

[​IMG]

It is a dread, all-laminate, but the best fingerpicking guitar I have ever played, very tight and piano-like.

21. u6crash

u6crash TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2012
    DeKalb, IL
    Very cool! An acoustic build is in my future, but may be a while. Seems like walnut is a popular wood lately.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.