Ampeg style amps-- anyone make 'em?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 0utputXfmr, May 14, 2019.

1. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Just a curiosity question-- are there any boutique amp-makers out there who make amps based on vintage Ampeg circuits?

Hypothetically, would there be any demand for something like a hot-rodded Mercury, Gemini, or Reverberocket?

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

I don't think there is a demand for them, Ampeg made a whole bunch of hot-rodded Jets and Reverberockets and they don't cost too much used.

A faithful version of the Reverberocket with a better speaker might be interesting. Ampeg had a very expensive turret board version a few years ago, and even that was hot-rodded with 6L6s. Also cost several times what the original goes for.

emisilly likes this.
  4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I like those old Ampeg Amps. There are a lot of them around in fair working order and many that can be brought back to life without much trouble. I don't think there is much of a market for boutique versions.
    They were popular but nowhere near as popular as Fender,
    I'm not sure but I think a few of those old Ampeg amps were really just rebranded Valco's. One of the Gemini models also were branded as Guild ... once again I'm not 100% sure. I am prone to senior memory lapse :)

5. High Head Brad

High Head Brad TDPRI Member

I cant recall ever hearing that Valco made amps for Ampeg.....thats not to say it didnt happen.

I’d love a GU-12 someday.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I love old Ampegs and I think they're underappreciated classics. I believe they were all made in New Jersey, while Valcos were from Chicago... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I will say I have a biggish '67 Guild Thunder 1 that feels very much like an old Gemini... but the feature set and tube complement is very different.

Wally and Ian T like this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Everything before 1972 (i.e., all the blue check stuff) was made in NJ, after that they shifted production to the Magnavox plant in Nashville.

emisilly, Wally and Fearnot like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are soooooo many Gemini’s and RR’s out there in good shape that that is one reason you’d have a hard time paying more than $700 for one. PTP hand wired amp. So no need for a clone.

I played my 1966 Gemini 1 for about an hour and a half yesterday. Channels jumpered, volume just past half on reg channel, volume below half on rev channel . Glorious tone from a Tele plugged straight in.

9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I have a 65 Gemini I, beautiful warm cleans, lush reverb, works so well with a Tele bridge PU. I don't know why there isn't a higher demand for these.

emisilly and Mike Eskimo like this.
  10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

0utputXfmr likes this.
  11. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Actually, production of early amps was in NYC, possibly Queens or Brooklyn BEFORE they moved to NJ. I remember reading that in Richie Fliegler's amp book.

Fearnot likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

At some point I'd like to clone one of my 6v6 Reverberockets. (got two of them the earlier one sounds a bit better)
    Feel free to send me a cash deposit (unrefundable) of $1,000 each.

Of course I may not get around to it at all but hey, I could use the money. :)

13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Trinity does one.

Trinityamps.com

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I built a B15N preamp about ten years ago. Paired it with a 6L6 monoblock poweramp through a Marshall cabinet - that thing was a Monster! One guy loved it so much that we wanted me to build him a 100 watt version. I later sold the preamp on ebay. Hopefully someone is greating great tones out of it!

http://enginerdamps.blogspot.com/2010/11/ampeg-b-15n-1968-preamp.html

http://enginerdamps.blogspot.com/2010/11/100w-ampeg-b-15n-1968-circuit.html

Oddly enough, I see a lot of hits on these pages from being linked from South American Bass Forums.

15. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

I've got a 1964 Ampeg Jet J-12. It has the best, and cleanest, clean sound of any amp I've ever played and is pretty easy to push to a nice distortion. Totally original except for new caps and grounded power cord. Best amp I've ever bought for $500. There seems to be plenty of them on Reverb in the $500-700 range.

emisilly likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My second amp was a GV22, my first a Vibro Champ. I had to turn he Ampeg all the way up, with an EH Black Finger Compressor turned all the way up in front of it as a clean boost, to get it to distort. It was so loud that I'd put it in a closet with pillows in front of the speakers and blankets over the whole thing with the closet door closed to contain the volume. It sounded glorious though, and recorded well like that, with the mike in the closet under the blankets. I guess it was kind of a poor man's VT22, but I don't remember it having tremolo and reverb, but I was just a dumb 16 yr. old kid, and I never used either of them. ampeg-gemini-22-gv22-182526.jpg aiedkjorejgf8sqi6bct.jpg But, I always wanted a VT22 or VT40.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  17. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Yeah it's insane how little these go for. Last fall I scored a 1967 J-12D Jet at Guitar Center for $399. I saw it, plugged in a guitar and played for maybe 2 minutes and ran to the counter like I stole it. Instantly blown away at first strum. All for the price of a used Blues Jr. Just crazy good!

Hatfield92 and Old duck like this.
  18. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

This thread is making me feel validated. :)
    I've got a Jet II from 2007.

I wonder if the reason Ampeg have never been as popular as Fender, Marshall, or Vox is the graphics.

emisilly likes this.
  19. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

According to Ken Fischer (Trainwreck), who started out at Ampeg, Everett Hull (Ampeg cofounder) disliked rock & roll, loved jazz so never courted the endorsements other companies did, such as Vox with The Beatles or Marshall with Clapton/ Hendrix, etc, at the time (early to mid 60s) when it would have mattered most. Of course, famous artists -- like The Stones, Jeff Beck, etc. -- did use Ampegs at points in their career, but there was never the same iconic association as the Fender/ Marshall/ Vox axis achieved.... Brian May with his banks of AC30s, that sort of thing.

So Ampeg remained a relatively minor player in the guitar amp world -- but don't forget the SVT and other bass amps do have major status in the world of bass.

The interview with Fischer can be found in Dave Hunter's The Tube Amp Handbook.

20. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

I happen to be a bass player informally dabbling in guitar, and yes, Ampeg is to bass what Fender and Marshall are to guitar-- they have the list of endorsers every bass amp manufacturer salivates over.

I've heard that said about Everett Hull before, but the focus on clean tone in and of itself shouldn't be the only thing preventing Ampeg from getting rock-&-roll cred-- Sound City and HiWatt were also amps designed to stay clean at higher volumes, but that didn't stop them from being associated with some major rock-&-roll acts (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, among many others). Your explanation of Ampeg's lack of willingness to receive endorsements from rock-&-roll guitarists in its formative years, however, does explain it.

That's not to say there weren't at least a few Ampeg guitar amp designs that were, at least inadvertently, pretty rock-&-roll-friendly. The Reverberocket and Gemini come to mind. The V4 strikes me as pretty unapologetically designed for the arena-- I kind of think of it as "The American HiWatt".

Thanks for the info!

flyswatter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.