Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg SS-70

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Faraldi, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    Not a lot of info I found on this amp. Any opinions / owners?

Ampeg SS-70

Thanks

2. fluffy

fluffy TDPRI Member

I just saw one of those today .. at a pawn shop for $65.00!!!!
    If you go to harmony central they get 8s & 9's in every category. I'm thinking I might need to pick one up if I do I'll let you know how it pans out :)

3. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Nov 23, 2007
    Ringgold, Ga.
    At that price I'd buy it in a heart beat.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have one. Mine had an issue when I bought it, it kept cutting out. Turned out to be something simple, internal fuse holder or something similar. The store I bought it from had it fixed for free for me, and it's been fine ever since. For that to be the only thing wrong with an amp that's almost twenty years old, and obviously used alot, I'm happy. Nice sounding little amp. Very nice sounding. Built with quality stuff, like a tank, in the USA.

Pros-

Really well built

Great Clean sounds, actually rather Fendery, wqhich is why I don't use it much. Not a big fan of traditional fender tones, but I keep this around just so I can get them if I need them, it does them pretty convincingly.

Great dirt sounds if you're into heavier stuff

Utility AC outlet on the back (I think every amp should have one of these, don't why manufacturers ever stopped using them).

LOUD. If you need more amp than this, something's wrong.

Cons-

HEAVY, that build quality comes at a price. These things are NOT light.

Fairly large IMO for a 1X12 combo. Of course now that I am so used to my Cube 60, everything seems big. If you are used to gigging with a Twin, or a 4X12 rig, this would defintiely save you stage space though.

Reverb is just so-so, not terrible, but certainly not great.

Dirt channel is good for heavy stuff, not warm or bluesy at all. It's definitely more of a "rock" amp.

LOUD. Not a bedroom amp. At all. This is gig rig. Not for home practice, unless you live in a place where you can be pretty loud. Even at low volumes it's loud.

Oh, and I'd buy another in three seconds flat if I could fine one for $65. That's a screamin' deal and a half. The going rate for these seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $180-$250.

5. fluffy

fluffy TDPRI Member

well, no luck with the deal of the century. I went back to grab it and someone beat me to it.. for $45.00!!!!! ohhhh I hate that. oh well, truth be told if I would dragged home another amp my wife woulda skinned me alive!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.