Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg GVT52-112?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Aug 18, 2013.

1. BurritoBreath

BurritoBreath TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Joliet
    I'm not a fan of the reverb. I turn it all the way off and use a TC Hall of Fame instead.

2. rogue_one

rogue_one TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Just recently picked up a GVT52-212 over the weekend and I love the tone. There was a slight issue with the volume cutting out so it is in for diagnostic and repair under warranty. I did get to play it at practice last weekend though and it was fantastic.

Once I get it back, I'm going to try some different speaker configurations (I have some V30s and some speakers from a 70's Peavey classic sitting around), but I don't find the seventy 80's to be that bad. Maybe they just need to be broken in.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    counting the number of tubes in that amp and what functions it has, I would suspect that the reverb is done in the solid state domain.....as is the reverb in most of the 'modern design' amps in the general consumer market today.

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

I have 70/80`s still on, i did not got back cover off, because off some glue. I have a pair of Jensen P12Rs waiting to get in, but i am in no hurry, Celestions sound now much better after being played in 3 years, over 100 hours at least.

Yes, they need to get played in. With Big Muff even distortion is great.;)

5. rogue_one

rogue_one TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Oh, I can do that. Cue the Hoof Reaper!

It took a little effort to get the back off, and when it gave gave in, some of the top layer of the tolex came with it, but nobody will see it.

6. BurritoBreath

BurritoBreath TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Joliet
    I've got a (well broken in) Weber alnico in my gvt52-12 and it made a huge improvement.

7. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have the stock standard speaker in my Ampeg cab to go with my GVT15 head and it sounds perfectly good to my ears.

8. rogue_one

rogue_one TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Once I get it back, I'll plug in the hoof reaper and go to town. That should help break them in nicely. Think I'll use my SG Classic. P-90 goodness. That guitar always sounds like it's pissed off.

9. RANDY B

RANDY B NEW MEMBER!

Jun 10, 2016
    NEW YORK
    HI GARY! HOPE IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

IMO- This amp can do blues, country, rock, metal and even jazz! It absolutely loves overwound start pickups. I own an Ampeg GVT52 112 amp. Initially I wasn't too fond of the sounds I was getting until I broke in the speaker and learned how to use the gain and tone controls. For example, this amp has a Baxandall EQ. Unlike conventional equalizer controls (EQ), raising or lowering the Baxandall mid's has no effect on the treble and bass settings. In fact it is not even in line with the treble and bass if you were to look at the schematic. The Mid control is placed between the second and third preamp tube and acts as a volume boost of +-10 decibels while driving the third 12AX7 tube. The actual Gain control knob drives the first two 12AX7 tubes.
    You can choose between 25watt and 50watt power output using the switch on the front panel. Remember, to double the volume of a 5watt tube amp you need ten times five. That's 50watts. What you get is super clean tone at deafening volumes. But you can also simulate a 5watt amp by attenuating the output by doing the following:
    Here is a little secret for those who think this is way too much power for their bedroom. By inserting a volume pedal in the effects loop you can crank the preamp tubes and guitar volume to their max, even add a boost pedal to drive those tubes into surreal distortion and still totally control the volume level to the output tubes. Even though the preamp is cranked you can bring the output volume down to a whisper using this volume pedal.

You can also purchase from Ampeg two useful, inexpensive foot switches:
    Channel SELECT/BOOST FOOT SWITCH -p/n GVT-FS1
    REVERB/EFFECTS LOOP FOOT SWITCH- p/n GVT-FS2

There are forums dedicated to this amp that suggest replacing the power tubes with Sovtek 6L6WXT+ about $40 for a matched pair. Eurotubes.com has an SRV retube kit. Another suggestion is to replace the speaker with a Eminence Cannibus Rex 50watt 16ohm about $80. They say this speaker opens the amp up to amazing tonal qualities. Tubes and speakers are consumables. Eventually you will need them anyway!

Bottom line, this quality amp can not be purchased for under $1000 by any other company selling tube amps.

You can even run a wall of speaker cabinets using the wide range of speaker output on the back of the amp.
    You can even unplug the amp head jack going into the speaker cabinet and plug any wattage amp head into it.

I called Ampeg questioning if it would hurt the amp to plug a bass guitar into it. They said not at all, so I tried it. I was amazed at how great it sounded. Tone pallet is huge! The Seventy 80 Celestion speaker handles bass notes beautifully!

The reverb tank sounds perfect. No real need for a distortion, boost or drive pedal with this amp yet it takes pedals well. A delay pedal placed after a volume pedal in the effects loop is all you need. Guitar goes straight into the amp input.

It took me one year to get from "not what I'm looking for in an amp" to "I will never give this built like a tank, rainbow of tones beast up".

Bless you all,
    Randy

Rich Merriman likes this.

10. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    That's pretty much how I feel about my GVT15 head and cab!

But I never had any doubt about whether I'd like it to start with - even from brand new it sounded great!

11. Huey666

Huey666 TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Was using a gvt15 head which I loved, but there wasnt enough volume for my band, even through a 212 cab with super efficient speakers. So I got a GVT52 combo instead which arrived yesterday. As expected, it kicks ass. Think ive found my brand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.