Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg GVT52-112?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Rich Merriman

Rich Merriman TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Tempe AZ
    yeah, they all have the bag.

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Thanks for the info! I did some quick searching on the web, but am having a hard time deciding the best place to get a matched pair from. Can you recommend where to order a set from that can deliver them fast and not charge a arm and a leg for shipping? Thanks!

3. Fendre

Fendre TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    UK
    Just thought I'd chime in, I bought a GVT-212 (2x70/80's - really really heavy!) about 3-4 months ago and couldnt believe it - a 50 watt amp with 2 channels, independant eq, stones tones, retro looks, reverb and effects loop, and all for £320.

It arrived, had no issues (and still doesnt), and has become my main amp, which is shocking as it is probably the cheapest amp I have access to.

It is truly awesome, and a shame that they have been discontinued, just glad I got one when I did.

4. Long Live Keith

Long Live Keith TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    Tube Depot probably....$35ish for the matched pair and $4.95ish for shipping. You can usually choose if you want normal or late breakup. I chose normal.

Plenty of options out there. All about the dealer you trust. My tech had a stock of them which he meticulously tests, matches and biases for each install he does.

Eager to hear your feedback, and if this becomes an across the board recommendation from all who try it. Cheap experiment anyway - worked for me.

5. SamuraIrish

SamuraIrish TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I got one of these amps for Xmas, and it's great! I'll definitely have to switch the tubes out. I love that you can flip the switch to 25W for bedroom level, then jump to 50W for a live performance.

I might try a pair of matched Mesa 6L6's I have sitting around... Anyone try Mesa tubes in one yet?

I also had the unfortunate experience that the control jack for the reverb foot switch was broken in mine. Reverb works fine on and off but the foot switch control of the reverb does not. And I've tried different switches, definitely in the amp. However, Ampeg told me they will fix it for free...I just have to find a way to get it to a service center.

6. Long Live Keith

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    Always worth a shot, but you may find little difference, as the Mesas may very likely be much like the stock Rubys. Chinese made and screened for reliability just like Rubys.

7. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Thanks! I just put the order through and it says it'll be here in 2-5 days. I may have to start another thread for this, but do you think that I'll need to re-bias my amp or just drop them in? I have a multi meter and have a little bit of skill, just haven't done a bias yet.

8. Long Live Keith

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    There are bias instructions on the schematic, which I had to get from Ampeg. Yes you should bias them.

9. GuitarPlayerAZ

GuitarPlayerAZ TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    After reading glowing reviews everywhere for this line of amps, I just placed an order for an Ampeg GVT52-112 from musicians friend for $499.99 and free shipping:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-gvt52-112-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

The site says it is a "Restock" item, with this description for restock:

What is Restock?
    Restock products may have scratches, dents, signs of use, or other forms of cosmetic damage that do not affect playability or performance. They may also have worn or non-original packaging.
    Restocks may be factory authorized B stock or C stock that have been returned by customers or retailers for a variety of reasons and have been reviewed, repaired, or repackaged by the manufacturer. Standards of quality vary from one manufacturer to another.

Restock Guarantees
    In most cases Restock products are guaranteed by the manufacturer to function or play perfectly and are covered by a manufacturer's warranty. Some manufacturers offer a warranty with a shorter duration than new products. Restocks are eligible for extended warranty Gold Coverage and are also covered by our Musician's Friend 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Order risk-free and take up to 45 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it.

I hope I get a good, solid, maybe slightly used amp...

I'll keep you guys posted...

10. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Congratulations! I think that you'll be very happy with her! One thing to remember is that these have Baxandal EQ, which is quite a bit different to most normal tone stacks and will take a bit of experimentation to get used to. I personally really dig it. Looking forward to hearing what your opinion on the amp.

11. GuitarPlayerAZ

Jan 6, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tracking status on my Ampeg:

Scheduled Delivery:
    Thursday, 02/06/2014, By End of Day

I am excited and can't wait for it to arrive!

12. shourah

shourah TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Jakarta
    I am excited too for you, could you send us notice if ur mped arrived?
    upload the pic if u dont mind

[​IMG]

13. GuitarPlayerAZ

Jan 6, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The amp arrived today. As you may have read in my initial post I got it for $500 as a "restock" item. When I tested it the reverb did not work. I had anticipated this as a possibility after reading about others having the same issue.

So, I thought that I'd open up the reverb tank and see if anything stood out. Low and behold, on the left side, the two wires (black and blue) for the left reverb tank jack that run to the spring assembly, they were just dangling and not connected to anything. On the right side, the two black and blue wires for the right reverb tank jack were wired into a connector that was connected properly. Being that I rewire electric guitars regularly, I plugged in my soldering iron, connected the two wires, and presto, reverb works now!

Here are some pics of the fix for the benefit of others:

Reverb tank unscrewed and positioned up (it stuck to the speaker magnet, which was handy):
    [​IMG]

The right side with everything wired properly (see the black and blue wires and the white connector):
    [​IMG]

The left side with the missing connector and unconnected black and blue wires:
    [​IMG]

After the fix:
    [​IMG]

And just a couple shots of the amp:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GuitarPlayerAZ

Jan 6, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, and I got to play thru it a little and yes it sounds great, plenty loud, I dig the 50 and 25 watt settings. I'll have more time this weekend to put it thru it's paces.

Also, I find it pretty odd for this to have happened. I cannot imagine Accutronics let the reverb tank leave the factory this way. They have been building reverb tanks for probably 40+ years. Also, I've heard others who own these Ampeg GVT amps say their reverb tank was in a vinyl bag, which is pretty common with other manufacturers amps. Mine does not have a vinyl bag, which makes me wonder if a customer bought this amp from musicians friend new and at full price, decided they did not like it, then needed a reason to return it without paying shipping (MF gives you 45 days to return stuff, but you pay shipping if you just changed your mind). So, perhaps, after hearing about others with reverb issues, they opened up the tank, ripped off the connector, screwed the tank back onto the botton of the cabinet, but forgot to put the tank back in the bag? And then MF gets it back, tests it, yep, reverb doesn't work, so they discount it and sell it as a restock? I dunno, maybe? I am just glad I got it working...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

15. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

Hmm... Theoretically, a person could do that and then buy the amp back again at the discounted price. :-0

16. Rich Merriman

Jul 18, 2013
    Tempe AZ
    The reverb tanks in my GVT52 and GVT15-112 are screwed to the bottom of the cab through the bag (not through the tank - which is loose inside the bag). Inspecting the placement of the screw holes - or looking for extra holes may tell you if their was a bag before.

17. BurritoBreath

BurritoBreath TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Joliet
    I've got a gvt52-12 and want to try some other tubes. Will Ampeg send the schematic and bias instructions to anyone or just authorized service techs?

18. Rich Merriman

Jul 18, 2013
    Tempe AZ
    If you contact Ampeg they will email a waiver for you to sign - followed by the schematic.

19. BurritoBreath

BurritoBreath TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Joliet
    Thanks, I will email them.

20. jazzmaster01

jazzmaster01 NEW MEMBER!

Jul 17, 2015
    florida
    I'm a surf guitar player also!!
    I have the 50 watt gvt52 and I'm blown away by the way it sounds live.. it had JJ tubes in it when I got it but only changed out the preamp tubes to some higher rated ehx 12ax7's and it made the Reverb a lot better..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.