Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg GVT52-112?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mojohaug27

mojohaug27 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Norway
    Josh Homme of Queens of the stone age is known for using old ampeg amps, he still used a VT-22 he got as a youngster, and a VT-40.

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    +1 on that. I love mine every bit as much as my 57 Twin RI - and that cost a huge amount more than the GVT15!

3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have owned a GVT15 112 and a GVT15H for a few months now. They are great amps. What mystifies me is the horrible 70-80 speaker they ship with the combo. I did some surgery and installed an Eminence Canabis Rex - 16 in it. What a difference, the amp opened right up. They would have sold a lot more of these amps if they installed a better speaker in the thing at the factory. That speaker may be the reason they wern't selling all that many of them. I used the combo on a gig Saturday and used the internal speaker with a G12H extension speaker .... it was very loud. The Canabis Rex has a sensitivity rating that is 3 - 4db higher than the 70-80 as a result it is noticeably louder and the tone with the new speaker is outstanding. So Ampeg saved around $25 a copy and installed a cheap speaker in the combo and as a result killed the line .... go figure.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a GVT15-112. The first thing I'm gonna do is throw a C-Rex in there.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Before changing the speaker did you let the original one break in?

I got the Ampeg 1 x 12 cab to go with the GVT15 head and to start with I wasn't impressed with it at all. But as I played it, it started to sound fine. At home now, I use that combination as my practice and rehearsal rig and think it sounds fine (to my ears anyway). The other guitar player in the band also thinks it sounds good - and he's a real tone freak - and a no BS type of guy so he'd say what he thought if he didn't like it.

6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I gave it almost two months with the original speaker and driving it very hard at times and it still sounded kind of flat to me and the bass was way too boomy for my taste ... I installed the Cannabis Rex and it was like a different amp and louder to boot. The tone control circuits seem to work better and the reverb sounds better too.

In the end we all have different ideas about what we want to sound like though. The 70-80 may be fine for a lot of players, but not my cup of tea.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I put the GVT15-112 on layaway today!!!
    I put 200$ on it. Just another 100$ and it'll be mine with the pro coverage for a year. Can't wait for NAD!!!

8. sam76

sam76 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Australia
    I'll say what people said to me - congrats,
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.

9. terminiola

terminiola Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2009
    Altadena, California
    I just got a GVT52 112 since I really like the old Ampegs. I think they did a nice job capturing the old vibe. I have a '72 G20 for comparison, a bit of ther old and the new! I am looking forward to breaking in the speaker. As others have said, it's a lot of amp for the money/

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I usually hate most stock celestion speakers. I'll probably use the time breaking in a cannabis rex or something. Maybe tone tubby if I have enough money. This amp is so cheap it's crazy. I can buy a new speaker and tubes and still only have like 400$ in it.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Good deal Gary. I often wondered from your previous post wether the Champ was really the right amp for you, they are great "little " amps but didn't seem quite right for tone you were seeking.

The Ampeg with its abundant cleans and 12" speaker seems like it would be more your cup o' tea. Rex will be great, but I LOVE my TT 40/40 speakers. Worth every cent extra.

Anyway you'll probably need a boost pedal, the EHX Soul Food is a steal at $63, I got one, am floored by it for that price. Plays very nicely with clean running amps for that little extra girth to kick in when needed. Prymaxe video sealed the deal for me. It really does sound this good.

Ampeg has reverb and effects loop so think your set there. Mooer Reecho is fantastic little cheap pedal for your loop when you get the funds.

Ampeg is really type of amp I expected you getting in beginning.

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks man. I've wanted one for a while, just couldn't really find one. We'll see how much I can spend on a speaker when the time comes. As far as pedals go I really only use a couple. Usually an analog delay(carbon copy or Wampler) and a clean boost. I'm leaning toward the RC boaster but I'll check out that video when I get a minute. I also use a stock blues driver occasionally. I like them for their sensitivity to the guitar vol knob.
    Thanks for the feedback.

13. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The biggest thing about the ampeg that grabbed me was the power section. 2 6V6s in a 15w 1x12 combo. It's hard to find an amp like this that isn't EL84 based and I've never really been into those.

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've seen boutique low watt 6V6 amps but those are wayyyyy out of my price range. Lol.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Ok I was under impression you hadn't picked up any pedals yet.

16. Long Live Keith

Long Live Keith TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    Hey 52 heads....a little secret. Replace the stock Ruby 6L6 power tubes with Sovtek WXT+. It should remove any need to consider changing the stock speaker.

You're welcome, and for that I thank my superb amp tech. If you want his name pm me.

17. Rich Merriman

Rich Merriman TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Tempe AZ
    Ha - I just changed speakers yesterday (in my 52 and 15-112) - I wouldn't have done it if I did not have a couple of spare Eminence models collecting dust (sorry, I can't remember the replacement speakers model number - but they did say Krank on the Eminence label). I feel I got an improvement in tone and volume in the 15-112 - but I am not so sure with the 52. It is difficult for me to tell without comparing them side by side.

How would you describe the change in tone/performance with the new tubes?

Thanks!

18. Rich Merriman

Rich Merriman TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Tempe AZ
    On a side note, I had a correspondence with an Ampeg representative yesterday and she implied that the currently discontinued GVT line will be reintroduced in "a few years" after they work out some bugs.

I was in contact with her because I had an issue with a GVT15H and it's humming reverb circuit. It is still at the shop, but I am quite certain that the hum is caused by the reverb tank being too close the the amp (transformer). When I had the rear panel off of my GVT15-112 to change the speaker, I removed the reverb tank and placed it close to the power transformer (like it would be in the GVT15H) and the humming would occur.

Does anybody know of a material that can be wrapped around the reverb tank to cut back on the interference? Or any other possible solutions?

Thanks again!

19. Long Live Keith

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    Immediately noticed better volume. Secondly, the whole sound profile feels like a pillow was taken off of the front. Tones are still balanced and clean , just louder with more clarity and presence. Better chance money wise to spend $35 on a pair of tubes than dump $100 plus on a new speaker.

It just opened up without losing what Marshall's never have - low end. Best short answer.

20. Long Live Keith

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    My 52s reverb tank is in a permeable vinyl sleeve of some kind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.