Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg GVT52-112?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Aug 18, 2013.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Wondering if anyone has one of these and what they think. I'm sorry for posting so much lately. Just currently looking for a new every gig amp. This one looks really interesting but I can't one to try in person. There's one of eBay for 500$ and that's about where I'm at money-wise. I've watched videos and it seems to have enough headroom for the country stuff I do.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    Gary.

2. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I have a GVT52-212, guess it sounds very close to 112. I must add that it is switchable between 25 and 50W. I have played mine 4 weeks now, i think it`s beginning to sound warmer, or i have learned to dial better tones.
    Definitely as good amp as i expected, even better!:D

http://hofnerhounds.myfineforum.org/about629.html

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's cool. It's weird. I don't see ANYONE using this or really any ampeg guitar amps. They really appeal to me for some reason. I love the way this series (gvt) look on particular. Like I said there's some on eBay. Heck brand new they're only 750$. Just having a hard time finding one to try.

How do you feel about the cleans/headroom? What music do you play? I've been told its more of a rock amp but I think it'd be great for clean country with OD pedals for dirt.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I can`t really say how much Ampeg GVT52-212 has clean headroom, but i play mostly surf in clean channel, it goes loud enough for me.:D My surf sound has a tad of dirt in it and much reverb, i don`t know gow much really clean i can get, i will test that later today.;)
    Yes, this is a rock amp, it is in rock tones with varying dirtiness it really shines.:D All the way to modern metal.:D

Ampeg guitar amps were used by many groups in 70`s Stones, Faces and maybe even Ramones comes to mind.:D There was definitely other famous rock bands using Ampegs for guitars, but i can`t remind me which they were.:oops: Ampeg stopped making guitar amps around 1980 and cocentrated to bass amps. Maybe there was a period around 1990 when they made some guitar amps again, i am not sure.:neutral:
    But in 50`s - 60`s Ampeg guitar amps were widely used. I have seen some jazz guitarists playing with lower watt models in 90`s and in 2000`s too.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I have now tested clean headroom in my GVT 52-212. It has plenty, i have never played an amp with more. Fender SF DLR comes closest of my own amps, but Ampeg beats it with good distance.
    I have read recensions saying it has not very much clean headroom, but i have a totally different opinion. You can almost dime both gain and volume in clean channel and open master to suit, it stays clean.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Man. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. I'm having a real hard time finding info on these amps so every bit helps. I was told the headroom wasn't great but they were referring to the 1x12. I didn't know there was a 2x12.
    Where did you buy yours? New or used? And how much was it? If you don't want to say that's cool. You've already been more than helpful.
    These amps really interested me. They look really cool and its just something different. All I see are DRRIs everywhere and I want something different.
    Thanks again.
    P.S. if you ever decide to make a review video ;) let us know. Or even just a short video of you playing it. There aren't many good ones on youtube for some reason.

7. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have a GVT15 head and I've just bought the 1 x 12 cab to go with it.

I have been using the head with a 2 x 10 cab for gigs and it's plenty loud enough. You can actually crank this amp up and get some real tube overdrive. And there is enough headroom for my liking - just be careful with the gain knob.

So I'd guess that the 50W version would have even more headroom for clean tones.

It seems that these amps haven't been all that popular here in NZ. My friend is the manager of one of the local music stores and I got a decent deal from him when I bought the head at the end of last year. But I saw on their website that they'd reduced the 1 x 12 cab from NZ$600 to $400 a couple of weeks ago so I jumped at it. It was him who told me that they weren't selling well for some reason so they were clearing them out.

I don't know why because there's no doubt in my mind that they are very good amps and cover a wide range of tones in that 60's/70's style - similar to what you'd expect from a range of Fender amps.

8. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

I bought my GVT52-212 new, here:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_gvt52212.htm

I see if i can do some video. I don`t own equipment needed for that yet.

9. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting. I'm in Nashville in the U.S. I've found them here on different sites. I'm actually considering getting the gvt15-112 as well to replace my blues jr. I've read a couple reviews that say they have issues with reliability. A couple people recorded their amps with the reverb not functioning. But I've also read reviews saying how durable they are. Some guy had one fall off the top of a cabinet on stage all the way to the ground 7 or so feet below. He said he picked it up, plugged back in and was fine. Not even a broken tube!
    I just don't know why they don't get more love

11. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Check this video out. This was from the year they released them at NAMM I think. It's an older lady playing at a bar here in downtown Nashville. She's using one of the heads/cabs I believe. She's great and it sounds great.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCt_IDFAAqM

12. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden
    Yes, saw that one, good stuff. Here's another good one with a tele.

13. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Paula Jo Taylor is playing GVT15-112 head&cab in your YouTube link. You have probably noticed there is another link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQWxxfMvfg

in which she is using what looks to me as GVT52-112. Watch 1:54. That answers your original question about GVT52-x12 clean tone. It`s very like my amp`s, when i play Tele, 2x or 1x 12" does not make any big difference.

14. mojohaug27

mojohaug27 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Norway
    I have been on the road and doing music for a living for 25 years, i have owned the lot... Everything from expensive boutique amps, to the old Fender and Marshall stuff. To my suprise i found my tone in an cheap amp from ampeg. I got the gtv52 and i have found what i have been looking for all this time. It's not about the price, it's all about what you prefere and what males you happy. The amp is out of production, so my advice is test the amp, buy it, if you dont use it, keep it, it will be a collectors item for sure.

15. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    They're still showing these amps on the Ampeg website so why do you say that they're out of production? However, if that is the case, then I'll still be playing mine as much as possible as I love my GVT15 head and, if you're right, then I'll have a collectable amp in years to come........

16. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    @mojo
    Yeah I still haven't seen one in person so I haven't got to try one. I thought about buying the 5w combo and comparing to my 73' champ. There was a gvt52 on craigslist but the guy wanted way too much. I sent him a link to where they were on sale for like 299$ brand new (think it was musicians friend or something) and he still wouldn't come down. I think he wanted something like 650$ or something crazy.

@del pickup
    I believe mojo is right. I think they've been out of production for a while now actually, maybe a year or two even. I see them used occasionally but never one close enough and at a reasonable price for me to try in person.

17. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've seen on other threads a lot of people complaining about the quality control also. Like ordering a brand new one and it arriving with the reverb not working or something. I think one guy said he had to return his 2 or 3 times before he got one that functioned properly. That's crazy! I'd go nuts! Lol

18. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I've seen a few people complaining about the QC/Reverb issues, but only for the GVT15-112 combo. I've talked to the support people at Loud Technologies, Ampegs parent company, within the past month or so and they said that they're still making the GVT series. I can't say enough about my GVT52-112 and my other GVT gear, LOVE IT!!!

19. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting. I was looking at the 52 and more recently the 5-110 combos but I didn't realize the 5 watt version has no reverb. But I also forgot about the full power/standby/half power 3 way switch. It's another thing I've seen people complain about not working right on YouTube.
    It's a shame too. It did initially think it sounded a little too good to be true. New Ampeg all tube guitar amps with great EQ and awesome features like spring reverb and the 3 way power switch.

If I could get a gvt15-112 that worked perfectly that would be ideal. I was thinking of replacing the old black blues jr I use to have with a new tweed hot rod blues jr with the Jensen speaker in it. But it would be cheaper to buy a used gvt15 plus I could switch it (in theory, lol) from 15w to 7.5w which would be awesome. All I have right now is my 73' champ and I'm eventually gonna get a 70s princeton reverb. But with the lower prices of the gvt, I could get a 15-112 to hold me over for the princeton.
    But that's assuming I can find one at a good price that's fully functional.
    We'll see. I wish Ampeg would make more guitar amps. I looooove the vintage ones but they have issues as well. Like they can be hard to find or have weird tubes or be really expensive.

I'm also interested in the 90s (I think) blue checker tolex ampegs. I've seen a few of the JT-12s (or something like that) for like 200$. There's one that has reverb and tremelo with EQ.

20. Long Live Keith

Long Live Keith TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Barrington, IL
    Got my GVT52-112 in August on EBay for $475 new in box. This amp rocks. Reliable, well built, and the tones are outstanding. Very versatile. Rich reverb, excellent low end. It is not a V or VT series clone, but you CAN get very close. I highly recommend this. I doubt you find a better value in amps exceeding the price. Love love love it. My take on the 15 watters....I just prefer the 6L6 tone of the 52 to the 6V6 from the 15s. Worth the extra money. The 52 has three JJ 12ax7s and two Ruby 6L6s to give you an idea of the tone profile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.