Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ampeg AMG100 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by wetland10, Mar 4, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    I thought I would start one for this quirky, cool, and surprisingly well-built guitar based on the Dan Armstrong but with a wood body. I've been playing around with one for the last few weeks and it is a nice guitar.

Mine is almost 100% stock at the moment but the cool thing about this guitar is the interchangeable pickups. I spoke with Kent Armstrong and ultimately he sold me a P90 and it is amazing. Great tone. There are so many types of pickups that can be put in the Armstrong box which makes this pretty versatile.

I'm waiting on some Grover Roto-Grips that I ordered to install locking tuners.

Anyone else playing one of these?

Wayne

2. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2006
    ZG
    what is the neck like?
    the shape and the thickness?
    is the radius flat?
    thanx

3. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sorry, I'm not really sure of the radius.

The neck is not too thin but definitely not thick. It is made quite well and is very easy to play.

Wayne

4. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2003
    Spartanburg
    Sign me up! Just ordered the blonde ash model from Samash. Can't wait to get it in!

5. gabestigmatic

gabestigmatic TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    I just bought the cherry one. I used to have a PRS Custom 22 Goldtop and comparatively, this guitar is fairly decent. I had to sell my PRS because I needed the monies. I'm considering buying a PRS stoptail bridge and PRS locking tuners for it, then I will be really satisfied. I mean, if you've never had a higher end guitar, you will be really happy with what this guitar has to offer for 269 bucks.

Hell, when I buy both the PRS bridge and tuners, the money I have spent = about 69 bucks more than the original price of the AMG100. You can say all you want about the stock hardware on this guitar, it is not top notch at all IMO. It is decent, about as good as squire hardware, epiphone hardware or lower end PRS hardware; I'll give it that. But this guitar has a lot of potential with higher end hardware. I can't wait to install this stuff, this is going to be a great axe.

There is one more complaint I have about it, it's neck heavy. Personally I don't want to get repetitive strain injury because I'm having to hold my neck up while I play. So I may duct tape some lead weights to the bottom end of my strap.

6. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    I'm kinda gassing for one of these... something about it what are these weighing in at (appropriately) word is the white/maple is lighter, just curious.
    Thanks,
    Michael

7. gabestigmatic

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    It's pretty light, mine is probably about 7 lbs. I decided to leave the original bridge on, it's actually not as bad as I thought. Also I am getting Sperzel locking tuners. I have the cherry one, though I stripped the finish and gave her a makeover. Check it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    I just received my blk, missed out on cherry. I was shocked to find it was so light, it's lighter than my light weight Paulownia bodied Esq., have to put it on the scale. I see what people say about the pickup area finishing, the back edge of mine is barely dusted with black, otherwise flawless. Neck is perfect and the frets though not polished nicely are great. I must say I'm really in love with this thing, I'm kinda shocked. I like that it came with the same strings/string wrapping and inspection tag as my CV Teles... I've had it plugged into my ReverbRocket since I opened it... No regrets, it's a keeper.

9. gabestigmatic

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    [​IMG]

It's up and rockin' again!

10. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    Congrats man, you still enjoying it then I guess! =)

11. gabestigmatic

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    Omg yes... And I underestimated the stock hardware. The bridge is pretty damned good, and is in fact a locking bridge. I also got Sperzel locking tuners on it and it is great. The only other things I think I will replace are the tone and the volume pots. They are VERY noisy when you turn them.

I talked to Kent Armstrong, he said if I send him ANY pickup, he will put it in the swappable pickup casing! PRS Dragon pickups, I think yes!

12. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2003
    Spartanburg
    Any idea how much Kent charges for the service?

13. gabestigmatic

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    No clue dude, I would hope not too much. I would contact him directly if I were you and ask. He's fairly prompt about answering email.

14. gabestigmatic

Mar 13, 2011
    SF
    I just bought an alder one. I ****ing LOVE these guitars.

15. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    LOL, yeah, I ended up grabbing a second, prefect weight for my back injury and feels sooo good. may have to touch up the frets a tiny bit on one, seems like the 2nd is just a bit high, but the action is super low. I'm going to refin one in SFG and put a crushed pearl guard on it and have that epoxy filled pup replaced with a nice P90. ( though I do like the pickup! ). I haven't even taken them apart yet, but my post are stone quiet and have really nice tapers to them. I expect to find full size Alpha pots in there, but ya never know. ~M.

16. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    My pots are still quiet, but they are tiny little things. Prolly replace them when they start to go. Haven't done the rifin yet, you guys still happy with yours? I'm going to contact Kent in a few weeks and see about getting a P-90 is pup made, or just see if he cam make one of the single blade types. ~m.

17. ElevenBravo

ElevenBravo NEW MEMBER!

Dec 8, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Fellow AMG100 Players -

I've been enjoy my black AMG100 I bought from Sam Ash a couple years ago, but have been perplexed about the 3-way tone circuit. Maybe someone can help me out. The center switch position is tone circuit bypass and the down position (towards the output jack) engages the tone circuit, which I can definitely hear when I adjust the tone pot. However, what does the up position of the tone switch supposed to do? For me, it does absolutely nothing. I've critically listened to A/B comparison between center position and up position with the tone pot in every possible position and nothing. Absolutely no effect on the tone or output level or anything. Maybe it's not wired properly from the factory? Nothing in Ampeg documentation regarding this. If there are more tone combos possible by using the up position of the tone switch, I'd like to know. Then I can maybe trouble shoot the switch and circuit. Maybe a bad solder or cold solder. Don't know.

Anyway, if someone can please tell me what the up position of the switch is *supposed* to do, I'd really appreciate it. T.I.A.

~ ElevenBravo

18. BlackAmpeg

BlackAmpeg Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Nebraska
    I bought an AMG from a local music store in 2001 for $250. It has two of what I'm pretty sure are P90s, one tone knob, and a three-way selector. To the best of my knowledge, my guitar (being an earlier model) does not have the interchangeable pickups. I use the bridge pickup for a clean rythym tone, the middle position for country, and the neck pickup for blues and rock leads. It took me a while to find a good balance using the somewhat ho-hum tone control, but with the selector in the neck position and the tone knob turned to 3/4 muddy, I can get a nice warm LP style sound. Otherwise, I run it all the way to the right. Location of the tone knob is perfect; with a little practice, it's super easy to switch between tone colors on this guitar on the fly. I've dropped it a few times, with no ill effects so far. I'll continue to use "Peggy" as my main guitar until I can some day finally afford to shell out the money for an American Tele.

19. matthewbakewell

matthewbakewell NEW MEMBER!

Nov 24, 2014
    Edinburgh
    AMG100 Tailpiece

Hi Guys,

I bought my guitar about 5 years ago and unfortunately the tailpiece is starting to rust. Does anyone have any idea where I could pick up a spare?

20. SMart1393

SMart1393 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 28, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I won't be surprised if I don't get a response from this page considering how old this thread is, but in the event I do, my question is from those of you who own an Ampeg AMG100, do you have a hardshell case for it, where did you get it; and if not either of those, what is the next best case to buy that the guitar safely and comfortably fits in? Thanks in advance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.