Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp that resembles a fat clean DI tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lawson, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Hey! I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the tone of my soundcard DI more than my tube amp, for cleans at least. I have googled around and asked some people, and so far it seems the Roland Jazz Chorus is an option.

I hope someone here can take listen to a quick sound clip I made of my DI signal (with reverb, hope that doesn't make it harder), and if you think it sounds anything like an guitar amp out there, be it SS or tube, I'm happy to hear it.

https://clyp.it/1v4mnyy5

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Tele295 and Average_Joe like this.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    It sounds like some solid state amp that I would not play. Ommv. We all have are own ears.....find what you like and use it.
    If I had another Jazz Chorus, I would offer it to you at the price I gave on the only one I have ever owned....taken in on trade. I took $125 just to get it gone quickly. She is a fiddle player, and it works for her. I could not stand a guitar through it. Ommv. I have an old Peavey Pacer that sounds better to my ears. I pulled it out from under a bench and stuck an Emi speaker in it. It is a $90 amp in the market.

twr102 and corliss1 like this.

3. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    RoscoeElegante and Chicago Matt like this.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I like your playing....thoughtful, sensitive, articulate. I do not hear warm, harmonically rich tone, though.

ecosse and Lawson like this.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Maybe an acoustic amp or keyboard amp. It's that acoustic-guitar like tone of the low E and A strings through your DI card that I hear as distinct. The high end sounds like any clean solid state amp but not the low, if that makes sense.

You would probably like a Lab Series L5 or L7 amp.

What is your tube amp? If it's small you would probably enjoy a big clean one such as a Twin Reverb.

codamedia likes this.

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    How are you currently listening to your playing? I'm assuming something flat and full range, like small studio monitors and/or headphones.

You're going to have a totally different experience through an amp if that's the case. You might want to consider a preamp into a full range powered PA speaker, or a FRFR guitar cab.

Jakedog likes this.

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Tech 21 Trademark 30 or 60 will do it and it features a DI. Roland JC as you mentioned. Left field suggestion, Orange Crush 35rt or CR 60 can do cleans like that too.

DaphneBlue likes this.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Electro acoustic amps are your best bet for DI tone, and ones where you have some control over the piezo horn.

Jakedog likes this.

9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I listened to both your clips and enjoyed them.
    Nice playing,composition and sounds.
    If I were to really nitpick,I would like a little more dynamics and airiness to the sound.
    This clip of Bill playing through his deluxe came to mind.

For a solid state amp,this clip came to mind.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    That's nice. I don't see getting it out of an electric guitar amplifier. Tube, SS, or otherwise.

It's possible you could hit that mark with an acoustic amp. Or as was mentioned, a preamp/multi-effect unit into a powered PA speaker. But I think a good acoustic amp would do it.

I've tried about every kind of electric guitar amp there is, and none of them will do that. You need a full range setup with a very deep and tight bass response, and a tweeter/horn to get there.

Nice sounds, BTW.

RoscoeElegante and Lawson like this.

11. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Very good point. I use Audio Technica ATH m50x headphones. You mention "flat and full range" but I don't understand much of those terms. I just feel the sound is more alive, warmer, silky and wide. When I go play on my ac15c1 it feels more brittle and cold. Any suggestion for a really warm wide lowend rich silky clean amp? I know I'm asking alot there haha...

Edit: I'm starting to think more that it's not about solid state vs. tube now. Apparently I need a "flat full range" sounding tube amp, and does that even exist? I have so much to learn about sonical terms and gear...

Jakedog likes this.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I actually own a pair of ATH-m50x's and they're fantastic headphones. When you combine their fairly flat response along with the isolation of those big full earpieces, you'll never going to match that same effect in an amp in a room - you're really into apples and oranges territory here, and I speak from experience.

You can get an incredible sound from headphones, and you can get an incredible sound form an amp, but they're producing sound and moving air in 2 different ways, and will be perceived completely differently.

I'd say just start trying different amps, and experimenting to get your "amp sound" which will be a completely separate entity from your "studio sound".

Wally, Jakedog and Lawson like this.

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Pretty much any powerful valve amp will/can be silky and warm at low gain and have the oomph to project it.
    Look for 50~100 Watt if it must be valve. If it's warm and wide you're after and don't mind staying with solid state, Blackstar do some truly fine sounding amps, even the ID Core: range has a soundstage that must be heard in person to fully appreciate what they've done.
    I foresee a trek around many shops trying out various amps in your future.
    Or just get a Roland JC120 and call it done :) ( as your ears would be on full volume, be warned )

14. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    I've gotten that squeaky clean flat-ish tone from my friend's Hartke 400w bass amp. Could be something to consider. Other amps that come to mind are Music Man, Orange CR120, vintage Acoustic bass amps, Lab Series, and a Peavey Session or Renown.

I would not give up on your AC15 yet, though. Maybe it needs a speaker change and/or a tube bias. Since the AC15 is cathode biased, it has a resistor instead of an adjustable pot. You could try a set of tubes that would run hotter with that resistor or get a tech to change the resister to let more current run through the tubes (hotter). I'd try an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker (or any hemp cone speaker) to give you that smoother EQ and flatter attack.

15. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    The roland jazz chorus is one of the best amp ever made to me.

16. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2011
    Leighton Buzzard
    Check out the vox mv50 clean with a bc112 cabinet it's to my ears what you describe.

drf64 likes this.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Go to a music shop and play some amps.
    Try a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb.
    The Roland JC-40 that I tried had really nice cleans.
    Try a whack of them and pick the one that you can't stop playing.

Jakedog likes this.

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    `
    The tones on these recordings are thick and syrupy, but not something I'd say is especially indicative to any specific "type" of amp, i.e.: I don't believe what I'm hearing is exclusive to any specific amp design (tube, ss or modelling). At the very least it certainly seems to be something that is attainable using a varietiky of amp designs when set up similarly.

Just the fact that it is "modeled" after a physical amplifier sound means you should be able to find something as good or better than the hardware/software version of that sound.

And, while I think the tone you captured is a good match for the type of music you are playing, I'm personally not as enamored with it as you are. It's a bit too dark and muffled for my taste, but I am fairly confident I could approximate it with any of my higher quality amps by simply dialing back the treble control and maybe adding some compression.

Anyway, it can be difficult to give advice on something as subjective as sound quality, so I'm with @Lef T and think you need to take a trip to your local guitar shop and try a few out...

Good Luck!

`

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Lawson likes this.

19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    What comes to mind is Nile Rodgers who often recorded a DI guitar part. Live he uses two Fender HRDs - reasonably loud valve ( tube) amps hardly ticking over. I think people tend to think of funk guitar as quite thin and sparkly but his live tone is quite fat for a strat.

Durberville likes this.

20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Unfortunately I agree. There's a lack of "sparkle" and a drop in upper-end frequency response combined with an oddly harsh set of overtones that is tiring to the ear. It sounds like the type of harmonic content peculiar to some solid-state systems.

Roland and Quilter amps have - to my ears - "fat" cleans that retain upper harmonic content, and without the aforementioned overtones.

I looked back through the thread and maybe missed it - what is the DI/sound card being used? FWIW I alternated between a pair of Swan M100 MkII bookshelf monitors and a Denon AVRH4400X with Elac Debut drivers - I heard the same thing through both systems.

FWIW I suggest NOT using headphones when trying to "benchmark" guitar amplifier tone - especially high end *or* cheap headphones (or earbuds). I've found that guitar amp tone needs to be critiqued through speakers for accuracy. The lack of ambient conditions/air movement when using phones/buds can cause distinct differences between sound through those units and speakers.. "Benchmarking" using decent speakers tends to foster more accuracy IMO.

Lawson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.