Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp Stands

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul Jenkin, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    A couple of questions:

1. Does putting an amp on a stand make any difference, sound-wise?

My hi-fi speakers are "spiked" to isolate them from the floor and that does make a clear difference. however, other than making the controls easier to access, would a stand be worthwhile?

2. Are there any proprietary amp stands available (in the UK) or is a sturdy chair / side-table / crate good enough?

This is partly about ergonomics as there's a small "lip" on the top of my amp and the control dials and labels are mostly hidden if the amp is on the floor.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    I use an amp stand, crate, chair, whatever I can find at the venue, many times nothing at all, just on the stage or floor.

Yes it makes a difference. If you have it in the floor you get some more low end.

On a stand, especially tilted, you hear more treble, and you hear your amp more. Helps to keep stage volume low, also tilting it gets it past the people sitting or standing up front. I like to hear myself more, so it's on a stand and slightly tilted. Easier to change settings on amp, too, I don't use pedals.

Different players like different things.

A lot of well known players have their cab miked to the PA, so they have adequate monitoring and dispersion at FOH, whether it's on the floor or whatever.

It all depends on the gig.

I do lots of gigs in a lot of weird venues, so a stand helps me hear better and keep consistency as opposed to various coupling frequencies that may or may not be desirable on certain Floor and stages.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    1) Yes. Using a stand makes a difference. It decouples the amp from the ground. Ever played a suspended wooden floor stage and had oddball resonances, or a concrete floor, or one of those modular stage things?.
    1a) Yes. Do you hear through your calves?. Get that cone pointing up!
    1c) Yes. Just yes. :)

Milk crates work, Beer crates work. Chairs can work. Small tables can work.

2) Ultimate AMP-150 is good. It folds small so fits in a gig bag, tilts the amp back and gets it off the ground. Stagg ( among others ) do various models based around steel tubing too.

Paul Jenkin and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Raising an amp off the floor and/or tilting it has several effects. It decouples the speaker from the floor, for less bass boominess. Moving the amp away from walls and corners has a similar effect.

Raising/tilting also gets the speaker pointed more toward your ears, so that what you are hearing, will be more like what your audience is hearing.

Try it with a chair and see for yourself if it helps.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Cheers all. I'm purely a learner / home player - I won't be inflicting my noise on others (aside from my missus).

A cheapo option like a crate sounds good - so long as it's strong and stable as my amp weighs in at 40lbs. I will check out the "Ultimate" and "Stagg" options, though - especially if a small, tilting / folding option is okay.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I use a stand for playing out and at rehearsal so I can hear myself better.

Before I got it for that reason, I just leaned the amp against the wall in my practice area. Same thing, more or less.

7. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Don't rely on the pub you're playing in to have a spare crate - The last one I played in said all their bottles came in cardboard boxes now. I had to use a table instead.

oldfish likes this.
  8. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I’m thinking of getting a stand. Might try a milk crate first. My Blues Cube, which is a very bassy amp, sounds REALLY bassy in our band’s practice space because it’s sitting on a concrete floor I guess. I tilt it but that doesn’t help much.

Funny thing is it sounds great at bars where I jam (maybe due to carpet and higher ceiling??).

9. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
  10. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Get a Standback stand. Amp stays on the floor but tilts up. It all folds up to fit in your bag.

AAT65, sax4blues and DOC DYA like this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    At home or live I use this:

[​IMG]

Or if I'm feeling like I don't want to carry one more thing, a pair of these. Which work brilliantly:

[​IMG]

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    There was a thread not too long ago that had the ultimate solution for a tilted amp and then a stand on top to hold the head level.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Okay, here's a question: If raising an amp off the floor decreases audible bass, is this only noticeable to the guitarist or is it also apparent when miked through a PA? In other words, does lifting the amp off the floor change in any way what a close mic is hearing?

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    My amps have always seemed 'livelier' when I can get them off the floor, and since I can only ask the soundguy to put more of me in my monitor so many times, I prefer to angle the amp up at my ears. That keeps me from blasting poor, innocent clubgoers.

TelekineticBoss likes this.
  15. teleconvertMij

teleconvertMij Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2011
    Rossendale UK
    Atlas-stands.com

fitflatpicker and Obsessed like this.
  16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    There's some interaction with the mic, but what ( to me ) helps is not farting about with EQ to get rid of odd coupling effects, then having a ruddy awful FOH as a result.
    The mic picks up what the speaker puts out. We hear the environment too.

17. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    Keeping your amp on the floor will sure make a difference soundwise and it depends on the nature of the floor (wood, concrete,...). Less bass, mostly. It might be for good or bad. Do you like a very bright sound or a bass rich sound?
    Another thing is what you (the musician) and the audience perceive of the sound from your amp. Treble is directional, but bass is not. Being on the stage the distance from the speaker to your ear is very short, but ears of the audience are very far from the source of the sound. So all those parameters make a lot of difference...
    On stage, I use a Standback stand, like RCinMempho (see above). Very small, very light, very convenient. It keeps the coupling with the floor. I hear the sound from the amp more clearly, but I never asked the audience what they thought about that. With the tilted back amp the sound must be travelling well over their ears...
    Beer case are made for beer. For an amp: no stability and your knees might be earing your guitar better, but you??? I'm not sure... Just my personal experience, playing regularly in a beer joint.
    If your amp is miked, it a whole different story.

18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    I've found that the guys who don't use stands, or tilt their amps up towards their heads, are the ones who always play too loud, cause volume wars, and piss off other band members and the soundman.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup, those are the ones I was thinking of.

teleconvertMij likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I prefer a stand/chair.
    Lately, I have been using my older Cube 80XL as an amp stand.
    I have two of the model amp, and stacking them gets the top amp at the perfect height, and I have a spare
    on stage in case of failure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.